Panthers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just watching the Panthers now given that it is likely Melbourne with give up the minor premiership and we have to play them.

At first I thought holy crap these guys are bulked up, but then on close inspection they are actually wearing some enhanced body padding like a crop top to protect their chest and shoulders. Looks pretty blatant to me.

Is this unfair or a smart strategy?. You just won’t be able to hurt them. They are gonna be awfully hard to beat that first week.

Would love some opinions on this.

NYEagle

I've never noticed, but I don't really watch other games.

Hopefully one of the snooping journos on here picks it up, investigates(lol) and reports on it.

I'm guessing it's legal otherwise I'm sure the nrl would have pinged them on it.

I remember a lot of players use to wear shoulder pads, are these still legal to wear?
I haven't noticed the Panthers wearing these pads, are they a modern-day shoulder pad.

Within the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if headgear is made compulsory and maybe even padding. Headgear probably would have made zero difference the other night but with the NRL crackdown on head knocks then headgear can't be too far away.

I remember a lot of players use to wear shoulder pads, are these still legal to wear?
I haven't noticed the Panthers wearing these pads, are they a modern-day shoulder pad.

Within the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if headgear is made compulsory and maybe even padding. Headgear probably would have made zero difference the other night but with the NRL crackdown on head knocks then headgear can't be too far away.
Head gear does zero to mitigate concussions. Stops cuts and cauliflower ear but that is about all it does. The NFL has a huge problem with concussion and CTE and they're wearing full face helmets.

I suspect a few teams,Storm,Manly and Panthers,are over the regular season and have struggled this weekend because they’re ready for the finals
My thoughts also Nordburg, Melb and Penrith struggled like us also, it's a bit of players readying themselves for what's ahead instead of the game their playing now.

A few incorrect assumptions in this thread.

Storm and Panthers are level on points with Storm over 150 ahead on for and against.

Penrith have to win and Storm have to lose against the Sharks in order for Penrith to win minor premiership.

It's mathematically possible but highly unlikely that Storm don't finish top of the table.

Last edited:
My thoughts also Nordburg, Melb and Penrith struggled like us also, it's a bit of players readying themselves for what's ahead instead of the game their playing now.
That’s why I hope 4th is sown up prior to kick off Saturday,then Des can rest a few that need it.Obviously we’d all like to see TomT miss this week but there’s a few others looking a bit tired at the moment.Foran looked gassed yesterday and fair enough too considering the heat and the fact this is the most games he’s played in a season for many years

That’s why I hope 4th is sown up prior to kick off Saturday,then Des can rest a few that need it.Obviously we’d all like to see TomT miss this week but there’s a few others looking a bit tired at the moment.Foran looked gassed yesterday and fair enough too considering the heat and the fact this is the most games he’s played in a season for many years
This would be a ideal for us, resting players. I was at the game yesterday and it felt more than 26 degrees. You would think that's the last of the day games for us. A good freshen up and were all good to go against the cows. You're point on Foran though is a valid point, he's been solid all season and a game off next game wouldn't hurt.

I think week one will be against storm. I think Storm will win vs Sharks. I doubt any top 4 team would be scared to play eachother, although it is common sense for the Panthers to prefer playing Souths in week one, so expect them to rest a few vs eels and could lose. They probably beat eels anyways but the Storm's reserves are better than the Sharks, who are a fraud side in the top 8.

I expect Raiders to beat roosters and jump into 8th, or if they don't i'd expect Titans to sneak in after Sharks lose to storm. Manly to face Storm.

Harper needs a break as well.

I think week one will be against storm. I think Storm will win vs Sharks. I doubt any top 4 team would be scared to play eachother, although it is common sense for the Panthers to prefer playing Souths in week one, so expect them to rest a few vs eels and could lose.
Doesn'tmatta is reported to be "resting" up to seven players.

I don’t care who we play as long as we are up for it. We are either the best team or we ain’t. When I think back to our 2008 side, no team was going to beat us that day. We need to be capable each and every player.

Anyone that thinks Melbourne lose next week is on crack. They could run with a reserve grade side and they’ll still get over the top of Cronulla. An upset has about as much chance of happening as Barrett conceding that the outdoor furniture wasn’t a mitigating factor in his poor tenure at Manly.
That first sentence. Now that’s how you state your opinion. @:D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8