Post-Game Discussion Panthers v Manly [Round 6, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Panthers
Vs
Sea Eagles
44 Bluebet Stadium
08 Apr 2023 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Has... anyone said second half was 12 all (for a positive?)

main-qimg-8e9f5c5233a193f43c0360036147ac61

(tanks/thanks)
The coach alluded to that in the presser but that’s just BS as the Panthers just coasted and made some errors.

On the credit side though when we finally got some possession he did set up our 2 tries with kicks, which is as many as any side has been able to score against the Panthers so far this year.
True. Our guys had 27% possession in the first half due to the the panthers brilliance, our mistakes and the whistle, ruck infringement happy ref. A lot of penalties/6 agains gave the panthers yardage and they took advantage every time. Thankfully no Sea Eagle went to the bin. That would have been disastrous.
Things did turn around when possession evened out. We got our share of whistle benefits in the 2nd and then two tries each.

Problem to me is that thing called "football IQ", ours is really quite low.

Going into the game I thought we had a clear relative advantage in the forwards and I also thought we were not smart enough to play to the advantage. In the actual game we gave Penrith almost all of the ball in H1, let them dictate terms to us on the edges precisely where we were weakest and the shredded us. Should have won by 60 but they went to sleep in H2 and to our credit we did get back a couple of tries.

We need to figure out how to be smarter, to recognise our strengths and play to those and inflict them upon our opponents. Until we do we are not contenders 😦

Every team should look at the Panthers. Their players are always running onto the ball, creating nightmares for the defence due to the numerous options plus Cleary's vision of which way to go.

Penrith also seem to have that same thing that Melbourne does which is giving each player a job to do and making sure they stick to it like glue.

And, I agree with @globaleagle ... what's with the 'shape' rubbish? It's such a lazy word.

The panthers were brilliant and our defence was awful from the get go. Their First run at our right edge resulted in any easy 80 metres and almost a try. From then on we were like deer in head lights. Kelmas miss on Edwards was embarrassing and and our backs were defending running backwards for the rest of the night. Edwards is a good player but we made him look like a superstar. Next weeks response to this train wreck will define the rest of our season.

Don "t think that i have ever seen a Manly side have basically 1 /4 possession in a half and compounding it by playing so poorly into the mix , albeit against a quality side . Then some terrible one on one misses and a partially fit Turbo. Not too sure what to take out of the 2 nd half and stemming the Panthers momentum , some consolation but just have to so much better in virtually all departments . Easy in hindsight but probably should have done a Penrith in attack when Manly did have some possession and mainly concentrated attacking their edges ,Sides like the Panthers just don "t give any quarter in the middle although Keppie , Paseka and Bullemor are definitely capable in the go forward department . Tuilagi is unfortunately more on the liability side in recent games , Fainu may have to come into calculations , could have erred letting Fifita go . Maybe have to try to fast track Fletcher - Myers into the centres soon , Parker and Harper just are not going to get the side to the next level as Koula can there . Then add Schuster and a necessity with a fit and firing Turbo and should provide some improved competitiveness . Realize that it can be a week to week proposition but to think that the Eels got the better of the Panthers recently and Manly [ admittedly at full strength or near ] beat the Eels , hard to fathom the drop off in form and competitiveness last night even taking into account a struggling Turbo

Problem to me is that thing called "football IQ", ours is really quite low.

Going into the game I thought we had a clear relative advantage in the forwards and I also thought we were not smart enough to play to the advantage. In the actual game we gave Penrith almost all of the ball in H1, let them dictate terms to us on the edges precisely where we were weakest and the shredded us. Should have won by 60 but they went to sleep in H2 and to our credit we did get back a couple of tries.

We need to figure out how to be smarter, to recognise our strengths and play to those and inflict them upon our opponents. Until we do we are not contenders 😦
Yep a couple of people have mentioned us being dumb.
We scarcely had any ball in the first half but several times we ran it into touch on early tackles when a try wasn't really on. When we're starved of possession that exemplifies dumb. I think Turbo was involved in a couple of them which surprised me a bit as he's not dumb, maybe we were just shell-shocked by then.

Every team should look at the Panthers. Their players are always running onto the ball, creating nightmares for the defence due to the numerous options plus Cleary's vision of which way to go.

Penrith also seem to have that same thing that Melbourne does which is giving each player a job to do and making sure they stick to it like glue.

And, I agree with @globaleagle ... what's with the 'shape' rubbish? It's such a lazy word.
Panthers in attack seem to all run together in a line, with just a couple hanging back a bit. Everyone is ready for the ball the whole time, that's why their offloads are so successful.
Last night some of the Manly players seemed to be in shock when they received the ball - oh sh*t, don't give it to me. We weren't ready to compete. Fix this attitude and we'll do a lot better. And to the coaching staff, when something's clearly not working, change it up straight away. Letting that skinny fullback kid stroll in for four tries was ridiculous.

It's also speed...everyone in that Penrith backline is fast. Helps so much when you're moving sideways in defence. They just shuffle across and get to the edges. Our blokes are just so easy to run around. Give me speed.

Disappointed so many people are blaming the likes of the forward pack,DCE,TomT,Parker,Harper and the coach.I thought the reason was the media dropping the Brett Stewart story on game day

If I was Ivan Cleary I would have been really disappointed in the second half performance the Panthers put in. Should have been ruthless for the entire game and could have put 70 on us.

All that talk about connectivity and playing for each other was missing from us again. Worrying signs.

If I was Ivan Cleary I would have been really disappointed in the second half performance the Panthers put in. Should have been ruthless for the entire game and could have put 70 on us.

All that talk about connectivity and playing for each other was missing from us again. Worrying signs.
Young Cleary was asked if the coach would be happy with the second half, he couldn’t contain his amusement…….then gave the honest answer.

Goes in tandem with having a consistent flow of good juniors come through...which is something Manly doesnt really hold a candle to.

Goes in tandem with having a consistent flow of good juniors come through...which is something Manly doesnt really hold a candle to.
This decade manly has mismanaged this and it is truly horrible to see blokes like hynes, gutho, Preston shining elsewhere.

Feledy will be a big loss.

I think one of bozo’s worst decisions was letting go of Ivan.

You know, like some others I subscribed to the theory that last week against Newcastle we were flat because of the GP game against Souths. Then we were even flatter on Saturday evening against Penrith after a 2nd GP game in a row.

Then, I watched Newcastle win last night.....

It seems that flat was just an excuse for not playing well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8