Outs / Ins / Rumoured

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
For me the Manly recruitment strategy seems to be the following

1. Upgrade contracts and re-sign the young top-end talent i.e., extensions for Schu, Haumole, Koula
2. Admit the Shoe isn't a 6 and bring in another playmaker (Brooks)

To fund this under the salary cap, they have then done the following.

3. Let some talented but unproven players walk where their current output does not match the dollars paid. The danger here is we let go of some future stars (Fainus) but overall, the club has put their eggs in the basket of the guys in point 1.

4. Downgrade the talent marginally in roster spots 15 -25 to save money. Too much money tied up in inconsistent and injured guys like Keppie and Lawton Tuilagi etc.
I think the club thinks why should we pay 400-500k for Keppie when I can pay Twal 300k. Do this 3 or 4 times and it adds up.

My two cents.
As it stands, I think we've upgraded a lot in all aspects for next season.

Backline improved
Halves improved
Backline and halves depth improved
Hooker rotation improved
Fainu upgraded to James
Keppie upgraded to Lodge
14 upgraded to GCKT
Tuilagi upgraded to Schuster (my opinion)
Forward depth improved: Lodge, Paseka, Aloiai, James, Olakau'atu, Schuster, J Trbojevic, B Trbojevic, Bullemor, Sipley & possibly Matterson, possibly Woods....

Backline improved
Halves improved
Hooker rotation improved
Fainu upgraded to James
Keppie upgraded to Lodge
14 upgraded to GCKT
Forward depth improved: Lodge, Paseka, Aloiai, James, Olakau'atu, Schuster, J Trbojevic, B Trbojevic, Bullemor, Sipley & possibly Matterson, possibly Woods....
Each to their own opinions but I'm going to put a marker down that I think Fainu is a far superior talent to James.

Not against James but see it in no way as an upgrade.

Will be absolutely delighted if you are right and Im wrong though....in fact I'm rooting for that outcome.

Each to their own opinions but I'm going to put a marker down that I think Fainu is a far superior talent to James.

Not against James but see it in no way as an upgrade.

Will be absolutely delighted if you are right and Im wrong though....in fact I'm rooting for that outcome.
Unless you include metrics in first grade, where James beats out Fainu in almost every category on average? Both young, with plenty of room to improve as well.

Backline improved
Halves improved
Hooker rotation improved
Fainu upgraded to James
Keppie upgraded to Lodge
14 upgraded to GCKT
now if only we can upgrade turbo's game time....

Unless you include metrics in first grade, where James beats out Fainu in almost every category on average? Both young, with plenty of room to improve as well.
I like your optimism Ryan, but it’s hard to compare James and Fainu’s stats. Fainu played on an edge in first grade while James played in the middle. So tackles, runs, metres are all pretty much redundant as a comparison.

Happy to get around him and I hope he turns into a good pickup but it’s a little misleading to say his stats are better than Fainu’s

Yeah I read that post you made in another thread.

For mine a direct comparison on the stats of a middle and an edge is no an effective way to measure capability.

Nor is comparing a 19 year old forward to a 22 year old.

Nor is leaning heavily on stats when the two players in question have played 120 and 267 first grade minutes this year respectively.

But this is not a discussion that will generate a right and wrong at this moment.....that will happen in time.

As stated I do hope you are right but IMO Fainu will hit much greater heights in his career.

Last edited:
I like your optimism Ryan, but it’s hard to compare James and Fainu’s stats. Fainu played on an edge in first grade while James played in the middle. So tackles, runs, metres are all pretty much redundant as a comparison.

Happy to get around him and I hope he turns into a good pickup but it’s a little misleading to say his stats are better than Fainu’s
100% correct. Edge meters can be easier to come by than meters in the middle. The edge might get early ball and can easily eat up over 10m before being touched.
Different positions different outcomes. Just can’t compare the 2

For mine a direct comparison on the stats of a middle and an edge is no an effective way to measure capability.

Nor is leaning heavily on stats when the two players in question have played 120 and 267 first grade minutes this year respectively.

But this is not a discussion that will generate a right and wrong at this moment.....that will happen in time.

As stated I do hope you are right but IMO Fainu will hit much greater heights in his career.

As an aside, I do think metrics in sports today are so important. I'm not sure if you get me, but I actually think appearance plays too much of a factor today, rather than underlying numbers, because appearances can be deceiving.

In this case, let's agree to disagree, because we both hope for the same outcome.

One thing metrics can't measure is the intangibles like fatigue (as these are individual statistics).

As an aside, I do think metrics in sports today are so important. I'm not sure if you get me, but I actually think appearance plays too much of a factor today, rather than underlying numbers, because appearances can be deceiving.

In this case, let's agree to disagree, because we both hope for the same outcome.

One thing metrics can't measure is the intangibles like fatigue (as these are individual statistics).
Oh I agree 100% but you need a statistically relevant sample size and you want to be comparing apples to apples.

If James comes cheaper that what S Fainu was signed up for.............@:).......win (as long as he is close / better in ability and application).....

I think "on the run" stats are useless, especially if you are losing games.

"Attitude" and " winning % " mean much more, together with the Coach's " gut feeling "!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11