Our 1-7 vs their 1-7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brett Stewart, Jorge Taufua, Jamie Lyon ©, Steve Matai, David Williams, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans

Greg Inglis, Nathan Merritt, Bryson Goodwin, Dylan Walker, Dylan Farrell, John Sutton ©, Adam Reynolds

Geez our backline looks good. Lets all take a moment to marvel at it.
But seriously, if our forwards equal what is thrown at them by the Souths pack, in the least, then this majestic 7 should hopefully create enough chances to score some tries and get us the win. But the forwards must lay the platform. Having 3, 4 to a tackle and pushing the attacking player back last week (and the week before) was a great sign. More of that please boys.

Jorge & Matai's metres from dummy half, Foz & Chezza's slick attack honed by Joey, Jamie's running and passes for Williams down the outside, Brett's attack and defence being the glue that holds it all together, this backline is the best in the comp!

Our 1-7 is better than theirs. Bring on Friday.

Discuss.

I look at their guys and i see Merritt. I know people go on about his pace and try scoring ability, but i see potential weak link. I really hope Toovs has a plan that involves him. He could be due for an Origin-like shocker in the pressure of finals football

Our key in attack is not to concentrate too much on advantages as they appear on paper. We've played almost the same plan against the Bunnies both times we've played them this year (more prevelant the first time) and it was Killer trying to get on the outside of Goodwin. To Goodwins credit he was up for it most of the time. I've got no dramas trying the same play, but lets not ignore Stevie over the other side. There have been games this year when he and Jorge have barely touched the ball. IMO they are equally as dangerous with Foran and Horro on that side, so lets give them an even share of the opportunities and I think it will make things easier for the other side as well.

Lord Eagleton said:
Brett Stewart, Jorge Taufua, Jamie Lyon ©, Steve Matai, David Williams, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans

Greg Inglis, Nathan Merritt, Bryson Goodwin, Dylan Walker, Dylan Farrell, John Sutton ©, Adam Reynolds

But seriously, if our forwards equal what is thrown at them by the Souths pack, in the least, then this majestic 7 should hopefully create enough chances to score some tries and get us the win. But the forwards must lay the platform. Having 3, 4 to a tackle and pushing the attacking player back last week (and the week before) was a great sign. More of that please boys.

Jorge & Matai's metres from dummy half, Foz & Chezza's slick attack honed by Joey, Jamie's running and passes for Williams down the outside, Brett's attack and defence being the glue that holds it all together, this backline is the best in the comp!

Discuss.

We can all marvel about our backline and compare against others but the fact remains that they have not put on more than two tries in a game against Souths or Easts this season. Time to stand up and execute the plays under pressure boys.

Bradza said:
Lord Eagleton said:

Discuss.

We can all marvel about our backline and compare against others but the fact remains that they have not put on more than two tries in a game against Souths or Easts this season. Time to stand up and execute the plays under pressure boys.

100% right. The game's not played on paper.

There's not an ounce of doubt in my mind we are more than good enough. We just have to go out and do it. I just hope we play straighter. We can get a bit sideways sometimes and when we do, we become very easy to defend against.

This is the only danger in my opinion.

master blaster said:
just hope Goodwin doesnt shut Killer down like he did at brookie when we first played them this year

Agree. Goodwin has been one of the unsung heroes for the Bunnies this year, his defence in the two games against us went a long way to securing victory for them.

We seemed to have favoured our RHS in attack against both the Roosters and the Sharks, I think maybe we need to utilise the LHS a bit more in this weekends clash just like ME stated above. The only thing I'm a little concerned with is that Scope's hole running has gone off the boil a little. This may be because he has had to more grunt work because of Choc's injury. If Snake is back that'll give Foz more options on that side and allow Horo to sow some seeds of doubt with the short ball/second man play trick. We also might be able to make the most of some inexperience down the Bunnies RHS with Dylan Walker, and if Merrit plays that side then Horhay will be all over him physically so not a bad idea to target that edge.

Bradza said:
Lord Eagleton said:

Discuss.

The above is a good point but I would add one qualification. We were only given two awarded tries the last time we met Souths. The Matai one was, of course, denied by the onfield ref (can't blame the video who then followed the guidelines).

Agree with attacking down our left side a bit more. When Gift was out/struggling for match fitness, our right side attack was average, but Foran, Horo, Matai and Jorge were devastating. With Gift finding form again, our right side attack has clicked but, as mentioned, Goodwin has done a good job on Killer earlier this year. Going back to our left side a bit more should definitely be looked at.

One thing that is in our favour is that we have come from a much tougher side of the finals than Souths.
Although they did beat Melbourne, the form around Melbourne has been pretty woeful over the past four weeks, smashed by Manly, golden point win against Titans at AAMI park.
Souths first try was a fluke from a dropped ball by O'neil, and their second was a deflection off the post straight into Inglis, whilst Melbourne had two disallowed, which probably should have gone their way.

Yeah @ Geoff Toovey. Call Mal Meninga for some pointers on how to make Nathan Merritt look amateur.

Id like to see Stevie do some more of this on Friday. It really lifts the boys when he puts on big hits. The classic Matai showreel. It hasnt had a run in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL6b96jaazU&noredirect=1

Keep kicking to the corners, especially their right one, as GI doesnt like it.
Their goal line drop out trick shot is to be remembered by Gifty:idea:

Hope we roll off tackles as soon as we hear Held, as the Refs will be walking Souths all night :mad:

master blaster said:
just hope Goodwin doesnt shut Killer down like he did at brookie when we first played them this year
To prevent this happening, as has been said before, Matai and JT have to get more of the ball in the attacking 50. Snake chiming in on this same side, earlier in the tackle count than the predictable 5th tackle will make this more effective.
Hopefully TRed wil get significant game time, and he is a great left side runner.

The RHS may or may not come off. It'll be expected, and the Wabbits will be trained and prepared for it, not just B Goodwin. Gifty will have to play a 'career blinder' if we are even to score on that side.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7