OK - So HOW do Manly Improve ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I have a few basic suggestions for on-field stuff (also understanding I have no idea how the team trains or approaches these areas specifically).

1. Controlling the ruck in defence.
I know we used BJJ training in the past and not sure if we still do. However, even if we are still using a BJJ coach I'd be tempted to swap him/her out for a wrestling coach... and I'm talking about proper wrestling, not the WWE variety which One-eyed Walker's been using. BJJ is a great art and certainly offers some benefits in the battle for controlling the ruck, however, it is the wrestlers that train specifically to pin opponents on their back (and avoid being pinned). Having trained in BJJ in my younger years, I was always amazed at how tough it was to roll with a wrestler in terms of getting them on their back.

2. Kick pressure.
Two players dedicated to harassing the opposition kickers/kicks (every single defensive set). I believe Api would be ideal as one, given his speed and always being around the middle. I'm not sure who the second one should be, perhaps Joel? (The second one could also be rotated to share the workload, if necessary). I would be directing Api to target their number one kicker, and the second one to target a possible plan B kicker each set. So, if Api goes for the designated kicker and they switch, we have a second player all over the alternate option (usually on the other side of the ruck)... something like this anyway. Kick pressure has been sadly lacking in our game, and it helps lessen the potential weakness we have dealing with kicks in the air.

3. Attacking bombs.
Intensive training for putting up attacking bombs (well inside from the touchlines) for Turbo to contest. I just cannot believe we have not tried to exploit Tom's height and athleticism in this way. Imagine the confidence that Tom would gain if he were to start grabbing a couple of tries here and there from this tactic. Even if he drops them, there is not the same soul-destroying fall-out he suffers from dropping defensive kicks.

4. Leadership.
A leader within the forward pack who is designated to organise and drive the forwards. All of this is done to an agreed upon role for the forwards within a larger team plan. This player would take some of the organising pressure off DCE, and ultimately communicate and answer to DCE. So, if DCE wants to step in when he sees something his call over-rides the forward leader. Joel appears to have the possible attributes to fulfil this role, possibly Jake, though I'd prefer Jake just focus on doing what he already does.

At this stage of the season I think it is too late to change too much.

We need to keep it simple- attack with our defence, quick play the balls (especially on tackles 4 & 5), two players trailing Marty every time he takes a run and expect an offload, communicate in defence - that’s it.

Have the mind set to do the above week in, week out not just for a game or two.

Better options in attack and our kicking game will improve off the back of the above (as it will bring about more time/space and confidence).

We have all the tools to be a much better side. We just dont seem to use them consistently. My eyes say we lack patience.
The answer lies somewhere between cherry and barret or both.

Here are the tips to improve:

1. Kicking game. Kicking game was appalling against the cows last week. On the last tackle our halves would just kick it straight to coote or the wingers, they didn't even have to chase the ball. Then to watch the cowboys have pinpoint accuracy killed us. That was a massive difference in the first half.

2. Get rid of the pretenders and bring in the contenders. Players like Poo, Winterstein, Perrett, Parker should not be picked again. Parker can be ok but we need T Wright on the wing instead. Winterstein, Poo and Perrett don't give us much impact off the bench.

3. This relates to the first point but we need to have the ability to constantly get repeat sets in opp 20. Chez and Hodko aren't great at getting repeat sets yet, so Baz this one is on you: You (either you or someone else) need to train them to be able to get repeat sets in opp 20.

4. We need to fix the issue of conceding penalties on the last tackle. Install some discipline into the players so they don't get penalised on the last (or 4th) tackle. This is also leads to the point of leadership. We need DCE to calm the boys down on field so we can reduce the penalty count against us.

There are probably more stuff to work on but i'll end it there

Sometimes we work so hard to get the ball into the oppositions 20 but let ourselves down by making poor choices, or seemingly none at all or mistakes.
They just don't look to be schooled in what to do.
The last 2 games were like a team that's just met.
The 2 before that. Outstanding.
But our lack of consistency and maturity of our play is a worry.
To me someone needs to be in control of the ship, like Green was last year, because at crucial times we are like the SS Minnow.

Personally I think we are flogging a dead horse.

Make some changes and some trades that count and give us a completely new angle and approach. There are only 8 regular first players in Manly’s 30 man squad IMHO so flog the rest off to anyone who takes them and fill the 22 spots with youth, speed, enthusiasm. Courage can be taught by the senior group.

Unfortunately this squad is loaded by too many players who have flatlined and not shown anything, and won’t in future either.

Scrap the lot and start anew. This team of deadbeats is not making the eight this year so get on with it now.

NYEagle

Discipline, fitness, game management, set plays, defensive line speed, defensive impact, communication, leadership, 5th tackle options, 5th tackle execution, field goals, bench impact, ball security, game planning and red zone defence.
Is that it ?

Rugby league is a simple game just run harder and tackle harder than the other team. Big blokes just tuck it under the wing and run hard then pass it out to the fast blokes to score tries

I know no one can answer this but seriously why can't we succeed? We have a gun core group of players (Turbo bros, Taufua, Walker, Kelly, Cherry, Taupau, Fonua-Blake, Koroisau, Thompson, Lane). Why? What is holding this team back? We should be sitting pretty in the 8 yet we are almost bottom 4. When will it turn around.

EEB136D9-2BEC-426E-86E5-95EC7555B78D.jpeg

Personally I think we are flogging a dead horse.

Make some changes and some trades that count and give us a completely new angle and approach. There are only 8 regular first players in Manly’s 30 man squad IMHO so flog the rest off to anyone who takes them and fill the 22 spots with youth, speed, enthusiasm. Courage can be taught by the senior group.

Unfortunately this squad is loaded by too many players who have flatlined and not shown anything, and won’t in future either.

Scrap the lot and start anew. This team of deadbeats is not making the eight this year so get on with it now.

NYEagle

If signing players and money wasn't an issue.....

The players currently in our 30 player squad that I would keep are:

Daly Cherry-Evans, Addin Fonua-Blake, Tevita Funa, Jack Gosiewski, Trent Hodkinson, Brian Kelly, Api Koroisau, Shaun Lane, Taniela Paseka, Toafofoa Sipley, Curtis Sironen, Mosese Suli, Kelepi Tanginoa, Martin Taupau, Jorge Taufua, Joel Thomson, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Dylan Walker, Tom Wright.

Gone from the squad would be:

Lewis Brown, Lachlan Croker, Jackson Hastings, Brad Parker, Lloyd Perrett, Akuila Uate, Frank Winterstein, Jono Wright, Matthew Wright.

Nate Myles is a non-issue since he has retired.

I would honestly start with that 20 and go from there. And even out of just that 20, injuries aside you can still make a very strong 17.

Tom, Jorge, Walks, Kelly, Tom Wright, Hodko, DCE, Kapow, Api, AFB, Thommo, Siro, Jake. Bench - Suli, Lane, Sipley, Paseka.

I reckon we need to swap the halves.

DCE to 5/8
Hodko to halback

Hodko to play a more organizing, set, direct halfback role, getting the forwards on a roll and let Cherry play a wider running 5/8 role and let him play what's in front of him.

The roles are buggered at the moment and they dont know what to do in their current structure.

Here are the tips to improve:

1. Kicking game. Kicking game was appalling against the cows last week. On the last tackle our halves would just kick it straight to coote or the wingers, they didn't even have to chase the ball. Then to watch the cowboys have pinpoint accuracy killed us. That was a massive difference in the first half.

2. Get rid of the pretenders and bring in the contenders. Players like Poo, Winterstein, Perrett, Parker should not be picked again. Parker can be ok but we need T Wright on the wing instead. Winterstein, Poo and Perrett don't give us much impact off the bench.

3. This relates to the first point but we need to have the ability to constantly get repeat sets in opp 20. Chez and Hodko aren't great at getting repeat sets yet, so Baz this one is on you: You (either you or someone else) need to train them to be able to get repeat sets in opp 20.

4. We need to fix the issue of conceding penalties on the last tackle. Install some discipline into the players so they don't get penalised on the last (or 4th) tackle. This is also leads to the point of leadership. We need DCE to calm the boys down on field so we can reduce the penalty count against us.

There are probably more stuff to work on but i'll end it there

So who plays where out of Hastings and Fanu given they are the only 2 players we can bring in to replace Brown, Winterstein and Perrett. (assuming Wright is taking Parker wing role).

Also who covers 2 roles at once and how does that work? Does Hastings play prop and second row at the same time?

I'd hold onto Parker. He would make a good utility. He's determined, good defence, runs straight and knows where the try line is.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8