NRL Administration voting process

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Class of 96

Bencher
Ok, so I have never paid attention to how the NRL administration is voted in, or out, and was wondering if we had someone on Silvertails that can explain the process. I even went to tree of all knowledge Google, and absolutely no details on how it is structured and voted in.

It looks that most here on Silvertails think that the administration is a sick joke and tumultuous at best. Lo and behold, the same view is held by supporters of other clubs that I have spoken to.

So I understand Gallop resigned, and as I understand Grant was 'moved on'. But who actually voted Grant in, who deposed him, and who appointed Greenburg? And getting to my main point, who has the power to remove him and Beattie?

Logic tells me that the NRL clubs are key stakeholders, and should have certain powers to remove and appoint people. However this does not seem to be the case. It's not just the fans, there must be a number of clubs that have little confidence in the current administration. Why have more scandals occurred under their watch? Why do they have the power to stand down players when an important presumption in our constitution mandates a person is innocent until guilty (forget the emotional side of some of these guys being total dickheads, but look at it from a black and white legal lens).

How do brain-farts such a 10 team finals series make it to the headlines without being proposed, discussed, weighed up amongst, and agreed by the clubs?

Looks to me and most people as a state of utter chaos, and detrimental to the game to the point of jeopardising its long-term existence. In any other business, the leaders would have been long gone. How and why does the NRL operate different to any other business, and why does it look like communist Russia and China where leaders cannot be deposed or questioned?

Grateful for the ST brains trust to clarify how it exactly works.

The answer to all of the above is poorly.

But I believe the "commission" does the bidding.

The answer to all of the above is poorly.

But I believe the "commission" does the bidding.
To which beatnik is the chair of??
So if that's the case, and he approves greenturd then all hope is lost.
Unless the clubs or the players can get a vote of no confidence or something then they are there as long as they want to be.
That's how it seems to me anyway.
God help us.

Ok, so gender neutral Wikipedia offers this explanation;

Organisation structure[edit]
The ARL Commission is the peak governing body of rugby league football in Australia. It is headquartered in Sydney at Rugby League Central, Moore Park, New South Wales.

All 16 National Rugby League clubs and the New South Wales Rugby League and the Queensland Rugby League are members of the Commission.[1] This means that the Commission has 18 shareholder members in total.

Commissioners[edit]
See also: Category:Australian Rugby League Commissioners
The appointment of the original nine commissioners was intensely followed by the media. Placement firm Spencer Stuart shortlisted a list of potential members and the NRL Partnership whittled it down to the current members. Commissioners were required to not have had any link to any rugby league football governing body or organisation for the previous 2 years to ensure their independence.

The inaugural ARL Commissioners were agreed by representatives of the NRL Partnership, the Leagues and the NRL clubs. Future Commissioners are appointed by the Commission itself.[1]

Election[edit]
The Commissioners are appointed into different groups and, initially, for differing terms. Each Commissioner must, at a nominated time, resign and seek re-election at an Annual General Meeting.[1]

Commissioners in Group A must stand down before the 2013 Annual General Meeting, where they may re-apply for their position. Group B members must stand down before the 2014 AGM and Group C members must stand down before the 2015 meeting.[1]

Ten members may, with the additional support of both the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues, vote to remove a Director.[1]

Fourteen members are required to remove a Commissioner without the support of both the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues. Should either of these events occur, the remaining Commissioners would appoint a replacement.

A Director who has been removed from office may not seek re-appointment for a period of three years.[1]

The board (chaired by Beattie) appoints Greenburg and, judging by what happened to Grant, Greenberg has the power to remove the Chair/ its a great governance structure. I don’t know why it isn’t adopted by more companies. Then again, maybe some companies did adopt it but they all went broke.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8