Nik Kosef loves the look of the Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Nik Kosef has lived and breathed Manly – knows all about their inner sanctum and what makes them tick – and when he looks at Des Hasler’s 2011 grand final side he likes what he sees.

Read the full article

"Incredibly, they finishing their famous 2006 campaign having conceded just 8.68 points per game and they weren’t far behind in their other minor premiership years conceding 11.27 in 1995 and 16.64 in 1997."

1996, not 2006, Ben.

"‘Harbord Hilton’ (Harbord Diggers Club)"

No Ben, the Hilton is the Harbord Beach Hotel.

Goldie said:
If his knees had held up, Kosef could have been 1 of the greats!
He is one of the greats, but if his knees had held up he'd have wrested the best ever tag off Beaver.

Matabele said:
Goldie said:
He is one of the greats, but if his knees had held up he'd have wrested the best ever tag off Beaver.

I dnt knw if he would have wrested that title of Beaver he didnt cross the stripe enough, but he would be up there with cliffy & tooves ,his ball handling skills were like an extra 5/8.
Glenn Stewart is his equivalent in this era..

jjai said:
Matabele said:
Goldie said:

I dnt knw if he would have wrested that title of Beaver he didnt cross the stripe enough, but he would be up there with cliffy & tooves ,his ball handling skills were like an extra 5/8.
He may not have found the stripe because of his knees. But his toughness was 10/10. Defence was 10/10 (opponents would run away from him); ball playing was far superior to Glenn Stewart and 10/10; he could offload, go up to the line, draw and pass. And he was a leader. It says a lot that Gartner was such a good player but completely overshadowed by the two blokes he shared the back row with.

Matabele said:
jjai said:
Matabele said:
Goldie said:

He may not have found the stripe because of his knees. But his toughness was 10/10. Defence was 10/10 (opponents would run away from him); ball playing was far superior to Glenn Stewart and 10/10; he could offload, go up to the line, draw and pass. And he was a leader. It says a lot that Gartner was such a good player but completely overshadowed by the two blokes he shared the back row with.

yeah Daniel Gartner was a talent too , when i said the same thing abt Nik compared to glenn lastyr i got abt 15smites so i thought i would make glenn his equal so as not to piss ppl off, but i agree he is more talented then what gifty is , thats not taking nothing from Glenn though, he is a talent in his own right

silvertail said:
Champion player in my all time favorite back row.

All time best back row is easy. And as luck would have it, all 3 players in that back row played at the same time. As much as I love Gift, Choc, BK, Vautin and others, the back row of Gartner, Menzies and Kosef is easily our best. Had Gartner played at any other time he would be getting far more credit, but it is hard (depending how you look at it) to see how good he was when he is compared to the 2 blokes he played beside. I was devastated when Kosef hung up the boots but the end was inevitable and unfortunate.

I reckon Nik would probably get rubbed out by the judiciary if he was playing now and used his same tackling style - he sailed pretty close to the wind at times even before the "past the horizontal" thing came in.

Gartner's step was one of the best in the business.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8