Nick Politis' two conference league dream

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Without thinking too much about the Pros & cons yet, the idea on the surface has plenty of merit to it. Especially having all the Sydney clubs play each other twice. One of the disadvantages though is we would never play the Storm again & I also do enjoy making the SEQ trips. Nick's brainwave is certainly not without its issues.

Not a fan on the conference idea at all.
But 1000000% agree that Perth should be the 18th team.
I'm not a fan of the PNG idea at all.

The conference stuff killed Super Rugby.

And that made more sense because of the huge distances to travel and the time difference etc.

There is no need for it in the NRL.

Honestly I really like it.

1. We would still play the storm (and all other teams) just once per year
2. I am not sure how travel would impact most teams. As an example there would be more QLD derbies. Yes Canberra & Newcastle would travel more but I am sure that is weighed out by the savings in other place / the game is not exactly on its knees re money
3. Sure there will be years when comp would be uneven (like playing the panthers twice) but this would even out over time

Here is the article for those who can access it

Roosters supremo Nick Politis has outlined his vision for rugby league for the next decade, imploring the NRL to split the competition into two conferences, involving an 18th team in Perth and not Papua New Guinea.

Politis, speaking to this masthead inside the swanky Beverly Wilshire Hotel on Sunday ahead of his team’s match in Las Vegas this weekend, proposed what he believes is the ideal model the NRL should adopt and wants the game’s powerbrokers to ignore the government’s push for a team in PNG in the immediate future.

The Roosters chairman, who took his players and staff out for dinner at the popular Greek establishment Avra in Los Angeles on Saturday night, wants the competition split into two conferences - a Sydney conference and a national conference - as soon as the 18th team is introduced and not wait for 20 teams.

Politis wants the nine Sydney clubs in one conference and playing against each other twice. The remaining nine teams would form a national conference and also play against each other twice. The teams would then play against the rival conference teams once, creating a 25-game regular season. He says the structure of the finals series requires a lot more planning.

“We need to do it when we go to 18 teams, not wait for 20,” Politis told this masthead.

“Eighteen is perfect. We’ve got to do that. I think it makes sense. It’ll be great for the gate. Playing all the Sydney teams twice is better for us than playing the Titans or Dolphins at home. Revenue will go through the roof. You’ll get better crowds. It’s fair.

“They should fast-track it. Bring in the Bears in Perth. We can’t ignore Perth when you have the Premier [WA Premier Roger Cook] wanting to come into the competition. I met the Premier myself who said they have a lot of big businessmen ready to back them. I told [ARLC chairman Peter] V’landys and [NRL CEO Andrew] Abdo. Now they’re looking at PNG.”

The Australian government is in conversations with the NRL to bring in a PNG-linked team into the NRL. The financial benefits will be enormous for rugby league but it poses a logistical nightmare.

“You can’t have an Australian team linked with Papua New Guinea,” Politis said.

“It’s not going to work. PNG is its own country. For me, it makes sense for the [North Sydney] Bears to merge with Perth. That gives you another market for the TV deal and helps us focus on growing the sport across the nation. Eventually we should get to 20 teams, but Papua New Guinea should come after Perth. They should be patient over the next five to 10 years and spend money on developing players in the Pacific then look at PNG.

One suggestion is a PNG team could be based in Cairns to help attract players and develop an Australian fan base, but Politis believes that is not a good idea.

“You can’t have a team based in Cairns playing out of Port Moresby. Who’s going to want to do that? Guys over the age of 35 only signing for money? If you spend the next five or 10 years developing the players in PNG they’ll be ready for when you bring a team in.”

The NRL schedule has long been a bugbear of Politis, who doesn’t like the way the NRL creates its draw.

“It’s not a draw. Don’t use that word,” he said. “A draw doesn’t exist. We have a TV schedule. V’landys needs to fix it. We get back to playing a proper draw, not all over the place like it is now. That’s fairness.

“Now the top clubs play each other twice and the bottom teams play each other twice and we end up somewhere in the middle and get a close comp. Everyone says we’re geniuses, but we’re not. It’s engineered.”

While Politis was critical of the process surrounding the schedule, he sang the praises of the NRL under the leadership of V’landys and Abdo. He says it’s the first time that the clubs have felt like partners in the game.

Poll reveals how clubs really feel about the NRL’s Las Vegas expedition
“It’s the best I’ve seen since I’ve been involved,” the long-serving administrator said. “V’landys was correct; we are the game. We provide the product but before we were going broke because the people in the game had this anti-club attitude. Don’t give them money they’ll just blow it. It’s a major turnaround in thinking brought in by V’landys.”

Uncle Nick

“It’s not going to work. PNG is its own country. For me, it makes sense for the [North Sydney] Bears to merge with Perth."

I believe New Zealand is its own country too, mon oncle

The regular season sounds good to me but the finals system was glossed over. It would be near impossible to guarantee the best teams make the finals. There will always be a weaker conference providing an easier route to the finals.

The NFL regularly have the second best team missing the super bowl because they are in the same conference as the best team. It would also be the end of local rivals facing off in the GF.

He is definitely right in a lot of what he said but a fair finals series is a major stumbling block.

He’s getting close(IMHO); 20 teams, 2 conferences with teams playing each other twice and playing the half the other conference once every second year on a rotating scheduled basis, like the NFL.

The conferences need to be more diverse than Sydney and the rest. Again, IMHO, they should be split up to include teams from everywhere in each conference. To use QLD as an example and assuming they get another team, say Cows, Fins and new team in one conference and Donkeys and Tits in the other.

Re PNG team, NO, it’s just to unsetted up there(latest example, Aussie chopper pilot and contractors kidnapped) and it’s being pushed as a political solution to a current and probably on going problem.

Not keen on a comp draw being based on a geographical criteria or considerations
Even just prior to the Super League war and with 20 sides , no conferences in play and did not seem to matter much .
Semblance of an uneven comp in some regards but that has all changed now to a larger extent with the salary cap concept and direct club fund allocations .
Probably will continue to be a serious push to include a combined P N G - Fiji franchise and Perth continues to have some definite validity .
Not sure how to incorporate the Bears there expect on maybe a feeder club basis .
Anyway , Dolphins entry seems to be working out, no doubt plenty of grassroots interest with the next two proposed franchises and just have to see how it pans out over time

And about 2 years after the conference scheme, two of the Sydney clubs (guess who?!) and the national conference teams go rogue, grab the tv rights, best players & sponsors and start their own 11-team national comp, leaving the other Sydney clubs in a suburban comp.

Honestly I really like it.

1. We would still play the storm (and all other teams) just once per year
2. I am not sure how travel would impact most teams. As an example there would be more QLD derbies. Yes Canberra & Newcastle would travel more but I am sure that is weighed out by the savings in other place / the game is not exactly on its knees re money
3. Sure there will be years when comp would be uneven (like playing the panthers twice) but this would even out over time

Here is the article for those who can access it
I completely skimmed over the article. You are correct of course. We still play the Storm each year. I like it even better now!

Will not work as well though obviously when they do have 20 teams. Maybe then we just leave at 18?

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Uncle Nick

“It’s not going to work. PNG is its own country. For me, it makes sense for the [North Sydney] Bears to merge with Perth."

I believe New Zealand is its own country too, mon oncle

I agree with this plan , and I’d suggest the 18th team be either another one here or in Central QLD.

You’d then have more local derbies up here which would suit the QLD fan base.

Less travelling for teams , lower costs for the NRL.

Oh and **** the Bears !!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10