News: Suburban teams lose home-ground advantage for NRL Finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>SYDNEY-based NRL teams will have to host their opening finals games at either the Sydney Football Stadium or ANZ Stadium from next season.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5272-suburban-teams-lose-home-ground-advantage-for-nrl-finals.html">Read the full article</a>

What tosh....

"A big part of the growth in membership in the game has been the need for members to be assured of the chance to get the best seats at the big games at the end of each year," NRL chief executive David Gallop said in a statement.

-- Semi's are the domain of the NRL and this will allow them greater revenue opportunity - it has nothing to do with guaranteeing members a ticket.

"Importantly, the move will allow away team members greater opportunity and will be able to better accommodate those clubs that have memberships spread across multiple venues."

-- At the moment there is no likely combination of teams that would have the membership numbers to sell out even a smaller capacity venue such as Brookie.

I think it is unfair that if we get a home semi by the fact we were in the top 4 and now have to leave Brookie and play at the SFS or Homebush it diminishes our advantage which was won by our final position

It's another nail in the coffin for suburban grounds and the special atmospheres that have been a part of the comp for so many years

another business move,  its all great generates money , but kills the tradition.. 

Interesting that the home finals were about attracting people into those games, and as a reward for finishing in the top four.  Ditched because of a St George game two seasons ago.  When we played St George this year at OKI, they couldn't fill the ground.

Correct DSM5 - we didn't even sell out against Souths a few seasons ago in the first semi at Brooky.

What a load of crap

This current finals system is so far in favour of sides like the Warriors, Broncos, Cowboys, Melbourne etc it isn't funny

Joke. It won't be long before all Sydney sides are playing out of ANZ  and SFS every weekend.

vidmar link said:
Correct DSM5 - we didn't even sell out against Souths a few seasons ago in the first semi at Brooky.

Vid, you couldn't move at that game. Probably the most crushed and miserable I have ever been at Brookie (plus the rain). I don't know how they could have got more in. CW was beside me and it was hell on the hill.

True MB there was a few in but not that bad...then again I could tell you stories about the Kop back in the day that would make your bones bend...LOL.

Point being on this thread that yet again that we, the paying public, are being fed crap and they think we are dumb enough to eat it.

I've seen the Roosters "buy sponsors" by the fact they have an insider on TV deciding who plays where, I've seen the Storm proven guilty of massive fraud and yes, punished but what is happening now (and if Bellamy didn't know how much players were getting paid then he should have)

Meanwhile we get the bulk of the Monday night games including trips to Melbourne, Newcastle and Kogarah and others get to promote their sponsors brand on Free to air prime time.

Lockyer on $250K a year? Yer right...Souths and others not over the cap?

Some players obviously given the cloak of invisibilty by the NRL (look at some of the actions of Thurston and Slater and then imagine if they had been done by Matai and Choc and think if they would have been let off?)

I've seen us beaten or the momentum influenced by dodgy refs calls at Parra, the SFS and Kogarah and it has all been made better by the ref and his boss saying sorry (4 officials on the ground and the latest and greatest technology that can slow it down to the speed of a scottish person buying a round and they still don't see what every person in the ground including Stevie Wonder at home can see)

Just pisses me off sometimes as to how daft they must think we are

Rant over!!

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=186055.msg308065#msg308065 date=1291107011]

Vid, you couldn't move at that game. Probably the most crushed and miserable I have ever been at Brookie (plus the rain). I don't know how they could have got more in. CW was beside me and it was hell on the hill.
[/quote]

Yeah and I was at a wedding (I think, some on here could confirm as a few of us were missing) but from the official crowd numbers, the Souths final wasn't capacity.

I was there against Parra in '86, which I think is the "official" record but Balmain in '89 seemed bigger. If '86 was 26K, '89 had to be '28K.

Either way, we never get crowds like that any more.

On the other hand, I remember playing Illawarra in July '98. We were lucky if there were 3000 there. I was one of about 10 people on the hill (it was belting rain). We never get that low any more.

We seem to have more genuine fans now but less fair weathers. What do you mob attribute that to?

vidmar link said:
Rant over!!

Wow, we don't normally see you break from your normal, reasonable and certainly sensible approach. Still can't say that I disagree with you at all.

Worth the rant.

I think C & Chase is correct.  There's a conspiracy to play games out of Telstra, SFS and Suncorp.  With no money being spent on Brookvale, it's time is limited.  Manly Wanderers. 

Go Vid.

I suppose the question here is..."what did our club want at the meeting"

Were we happy to support this idea ?

maybe we should win a few games before worrying about where we play a semi final.

keep dishing up last years garbage and our opinions as far as home semis go is pretty much irrelevant

Fro link said:
maybe we should win a few games before worrying about where we play a semi final.

keep dishing up last years garbage and our opinions as far as home semis go is pretty much irrelevant
thats right  fro well said .. ;) .. lets not get ahead of our selves it will only lead to dissappointments @ the back end..

Fro link said:

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it?  ;)

The NRL has posted this question asking if it's a good idea or not on facebook. For the most part people don't like it and see it as a money grab from the NRL.

not in this case Vid, because if we have it and do't need it we will have underachieved.............AGAIN.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8