News regarding Barrett’s future coming up on fox league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

The Who

Journey Man
Thanks for the stats HM. They bear out our problem.
Parker = 2 tries from 13 appearances
Walker = 2 tries from 12 appearances
Tafua = 2 tries from 11 appearances
Suli = 1 try from 13 appearances

The best has been Kelly @ 7 from 22 matches, followed by Uate 5 - 15 and Matt Wright 4 - 12.

Terrible, terrible stats. That's where a lot of our problem lies . . plus our defence.

Paw93

Reserve Grader

The best has been Kelly @ 7 from 22 matches, followed by Uate 5 - 15 and Matt Wright 4 - 12.

Terrible, terrible stats. That's where a lot of our problem lies . . plus our defence.
7 tries for Kelly shows what a quality backline player can do in our team. He's been one of the few shining lights in a poor year but it also shows how poor the rest of our back 5 (bar Tom) have been.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
What I hate and laugh at at the same time is that some of us, and yes I will toot my own horn here (settle down and stop laughing people), some of us have been saying for close on 3 years that Barrett's actual coaching at Manly has left a lot to be desired for the most part. Yet only now in the past week or so has it become obvious to [some of] those in the media and they're like "Wow, maybe he's not such a great coach". Yet they still only seem to see it because he's coming across as a whinger.

A lot of us saw the deficiencies from Round 1, 2016, but we could forgive back then as he literally was a rookie coach and the belief was that he would learn and quickly. But he seemingly hasn't learned much other than to play the blame game in the past 3 seasons (well, he did play a year or two under Ricky Stuart at Cronulla). And he's still making the same 'rookie' mistakes in 2018 that he made in 2016 and expected them to work.

The guy played his top grade career, including rep football, under some of the best coaches not only of their time, but ever. Coaches like Tim Sheens, Wayne Bennett and even Brian Smith, plus he's had constant access to other supercoaches like Bob Fulton and Phil Gould. He's had 22 years worth of experience in top flight football (he made his debut for the Illawarra Steelers in 1996) both in Australia and the UK. Yet for the most part, in the past 3 years Manly has looked like a team being coached by a rank amateur.

With some of the players he has had available at Manly both in experience and quality....Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom and Jake Trbojevic, Martin Taupau, Dylan Walker, Blake Green, Akuila Uate, Api Koroisau, Joel Thompson, Trent Hodkinson, Jorge Taufua, Curtis Sironen, Darcy Lussick, and up and comers like Brian Kelly, Moses Suli, Addin Fonua-Blake and Shaun Lane, plus the likes of Steve Matai, Brett Stewart and Jamie Lyon.....our results should have been much better than just scraping into the Finals (only to be bundled out in week 1) in 2017.

The fact is that despite the player talent available to him, despite the fact that he has over 20 years worth of playing and coaching experience to draw upon.....he has failed as Manly coach. Failed to the point where if things go really bad for us this weekend the club could possibly end up with the first ever wooden spoon in our very very proud history.

To coin a catch phrase from the not so distant past......Trent Barrett, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Last edited:

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Btw he is not going anywhere as a head coach. He may have taken Buzz and co for a ride but there is no way he has fooled the people that matter.Gould included.

As much as I believe that he will end up back at Penrith after this, most likely in an assistant role, I tend to agree with what you said (both this line and the rest of your post). In all probability, Gould sent Barrett to Manly to get first grade coaching experience somewhere other than where it could potentially hurt the Panthers. But even Gus for all his constant trumpeting of Barrett's coaching ability, hasn't been blind to the fact that despite all the crap going on at Manly....Barrett has not shown that he will be a good coach. He's shown quite the opposite in fact. And to that end I agree that I think he has done his future coaching chances a lot more harm than good.

The Who

Journey Man
For me, the real failing of Twenty is that he was a terrific attacking backline player yet out wingers and centres are (Kelly excepted) are the worst in the league.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
He's been too busy building furniture or a file against the Penns do do any actual coaching. What a wanker.

Gibbs was able to solve crimes, man manage a team and still build a boat in his basement using nothing but old fashioned hand tools @:cool:

brad

First Grader
Those players GlobalEagle named there , Turbos, Walker, Dce, Kapow , Thompson and Api etc , how the hell are we in this state . If the players didn't like Barrett i could understand but they do . Im confused.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Those players GlobalEagle named there , Turbos, Walker, Dce, Kapow , Thompson and Api etc , how the hell are we in this state . If the players didn't like Barrett i could understand but they do . Im confused.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. To be a successful coach in any major sporting arena, NRL, AFL, NBA, NFL etc....a coach has to be the authority first, the players best friend a distant second.

Successful coaches are ruthless in their pursuit of victory. Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler.....they were ruthless and demanded the best from their players, but to a man they also earned the full respect of their players. Do you think they gave a rats backside about the players feelings or whether they were popular among the players and fans?

Even Wayne Bennett. Remember when he cut Wally Lewis from the Broncos and the fallout from it? But Bennett was right wasn't he. Wayne could see Wally coming to the end and while he had done his job as Australia's highest profile player in helping establish the Broncos, he wasn't someone they could build their future on. Ruthless as it was, within 2 years Brisbane had won a premiership, then went back to back.....something no club has done since.

There is a difference between being a good bloke and a good coach. Barrett may well be a good bloke, a likable bloke. But he's not proven to be a good coach.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member

Walker has been out with injuries and been playing out of position
By moving Walker out of position Trent has weekend 2 position . Centre and 5/8.
Walker at 5/8 stalls his team and he also stalls his running game
Walker in the centres is a strike centre and along with Tom Turbo they are the only lightning strike runners that we have
As far as our defence goes and the way our team capitulates our coach has not being able to address this issue and all our other deficiency issues
Every one says that the players love Trent . I say the biggest endorsement any team that love their coach is 100% commitment on the field and I have not seen that from our team this year .

Shoe1

Journey Man
I've said it before, I'll say it again. To be a successful coach in any major sporting arena, NRL, AFL, NBA, NFL etc....a coach has to be the authority first, the players best friend a distant second.

Successful coaches are ruthless in their pursuit of victory. Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler.....they were ruthless and demanded the best from their players, but to a man they also earned the full respect of their players. Do you think they gave a rats backside about the players feelings or whether they were popular among the players and fans?

There is a difference between being a good bloke and a good coach. Barrett may well be a good bloke, a likable bloke. But he's not proven to be a good coach.
You’re right. Moreover I’d say 100% of top coaches are not “good blokes” in the sense of being a jokey mate

They are single-minded, cranky, obsessive, street-smart types, look at Bellamy, bozo, biscuits, Bennett.

The only thing Barrett has in common with them is the “B” initial.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Walker has been out with injuries and been playing out of position
By moving Walker out of position Trent has weekend 2 position . Centre and 5/8.
Walker at 5/8 stalls his team and he also stalls his running game
Walker in the centres is a strike centre and along with Tom Turbo they are the only lightning strike runners that we have
As far as our defence goes and the way our team capitulates our coach has not being able to address this issue and all our other deficiency issues
Every one says that the players love Trent . I say the biggest endorsement any team that love their coach is 100% commitment on the field and I have not seen that from our team this year .

I know Hodko isn't the answer, but the fact is that we brought the guy "home" to be a halfback / 5/8 to take the pressure off of DCE, yet he has rarely played the position. Barrett seems so obsessed with having a replacement hooker on the bench that Hodko has spent the majority of his time this year getting piles from sitting on the bench so much.

The games he did actually start, only once did he actually play with a recognised dummy half.....and that was the first 15 minutes of the Warriors game in Christchurch where until Api's injury we actually led 8-0. Every other time we had either Lewis Brown or Matt Wright filling in. Not once since Fainu has come into the side have we started with Hokdinson and Cherry-Evans as our halves.

We've basically been playing with one half, 3 centres and a fullback who has largely had to forgo his running game to be an extra play maker in the line.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member

Even Wayne Bennett. Remember when he cut Wally Lewis from the Broncos and the fallout from it? But Bennett was right wasn't he. Wayne could see Wally coming to the end and while he had done his job as Australia's highest profile player in helping establish the Broncos, he wasn't someone they could build their future on. Ruthless as it was, within 2 years Brisbane had won a premiership, then went back to back.....something no club has done since.

Trent has no other credentials as a competent coach other than Gould endorsement .
Trent has shown what he is capable of with the Manly Sea eagles . Trent comes from an era where he never won a comp with the Dragons . An era where his team was used to choking and that is what Trent also does best . He chokes under pressure and so does his team.
We can talk about all the missing tables and chairs and all those promises that the club made Trent but that does not hide the fact that Trent has his team vying for the spoon . I have heard nothing from Roathfield or all the other Media Trent defenders defend our position vying for the spoon. Our team is a better team than that and everyone knows it .

Shoe1

Journey Man
Theory: the more they smile, the worse the coach.

Barrett, brown are smilers. Grinners even.

Bellamy, Hasler, Maguire, Bennett, Henry, sheens, bozo have never been spotted smiling. Des and bozo didn’t even smile winning premierships as a player and coach.

grassy

Bencher
Taufua regularly runs over 200m
Walker is a gun
Also Kelly is a chode, as is Suli and parker
Taufua can’t catch a ball from a standing position let alone hold on to the ball mate. Walker a gun? Holy hell he has hardly played a game this year. More like a walking time bomb that we have payed silly money to. I would believe match fixing before I would believe any of that. If it’s a duck and it quacks then It has to be a duck. Kelly yea, he’s a dead set player.We have lost games which we have had in the bag due to that rabble.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Trent has no other credentials as a competent coach other than Gould endorsement .
Trent has shown what he is capable of with the Manly Sea eagles . Trent comes from an era where he never won a comp with the Dragons . An era where his team was used to choking and that is what Trent also does best . He chokes under pressure and so does his team.
We can talk about all the missing tables and chairs and all those promises that the club made Trent but that does not hide the fact that Trent has his team vying for the spoon . I have heard nothing from Roathfield or all the other Media Trent defenders defend our position vying for the spoon. Our team is a better team than that and everyone knows it .

The red flag for me before he even started was his coaching of the Panthers U/20s. During that period, the Panther cubs were damn near unbeatable. Premiers in 2013, 2015 and Grand Finalists in 2016. The missing year there, 2014? Trent Barrett coached them and they missed the Finals finishing 9th. After that Gus got him straight out of there and put his as assistant to Ivan Cleary in first grade, a position where he wouldn't be in charge of anything except maybe running a few training sessions.

But, given that he was a rookie coach in 2016, we were hopeful that he would learn and end up as a good coach. After all, even the likes of Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler were rookie coaches once. Unfortunately the opposite has happened.

You know, when it comes down to it I am kinda amazed that we even made the top 8 last year, even with the talent we had.

brad

First Grader

Wait and see i suppose , maybe man management problems and coaching style who knows. He'll probably learn by his mistakes . Maguire was a hard arse as well , won a comp and got speared . Time will tell.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The red flag for me before he even started was his coaching of the Panthers U/20s. During that period, the Panther cubs were damn near unbeatable. Premiers in 2013, 2015 and Grand Finalists in 2016. The missing year there, 2014? Trent Barrett coached them and they missed the Finals finishing 9th. After that Gus got him straight out of there and put his as assistant to Ivan Cleary in first grade, a position where he wouldn't be in charge of anything except maybe running a few training sessions.

But, given that he was a rookie coach in 2016, we were hopeful that he would learn and end up as a good coach. After all, even the likes of Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler were rookie coaches once. Unfortunately the opposite has happened.

You know, when it comes down to it I am kinda amazed that we even made the top 8 last year, even with the talent we had.
Well , Trent cant hide behind those facts . All those facts came to fruition for Manly as well

Briza

Maroon and White - Born and Bred

Players only ever come out and say they love the coach when either
A: the coach is under pressure.
B: the players are under performing and the coaching comes into question.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't give a rats arse about Barrett!

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12
11 5 5 30 11