News: Ox puts talks on hold

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY captain Matt Orford has put contract talks on hold in a bid to revive the Sea Eagles’ premiership hopes. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/ox-puts-talks-on-hold.html">Read the full article</a>

Manly captain has put contract talks on hold because he got offered 2 and sixpence to play more like it :)

Theres the door, tah tah

Don't worry about all the others queueing up to be re-signed, and waiting on his decision, so the club can work out the numbers for them. He must be hoping to play himself into red hot form before the dollars are finalised. Could be in this position until August.

Bit tough guys, I actually agree with him....he does not need the distraction of contract negotiations at this point in time...fair point IMO.

we should let him go an buy Hunt as a 5/8 and blood Hodgksion, which would also give us a backup fullback should Brett be convicted and unavailable next year.

Apart from maybe the poor new kid, Neumann, we can't blame any individuals for the whole team's performance this year. Orford's not having a brilliant year so far and neither are many others, but he (Ox) started off slow last year and then he clicked when we needed him at the end.
I think we should stop looking for scapegoats to vent our frustration at, and accept that for a vast variety of reasons it's been a disasterous season start.
But the bad times make the good times sweeter - how good was climbing back from the Beagles to the 2008 Premiers and World Club Champs.
Manly is a champion side and we will reign supreme again. Suck up the hard times and for the sake of our team don't bag out the side or individuals. That job's for the rest of the league world.
I personally don't believe that our team has thrown in the towel during any match. Things just aren't clicking like they did in '07 and '08.
Losing sucks big time but it's part of the game. The wins will come.

win lose or draw, he is over rated, over hyped and certainly overpaid.

only keep him if he takes a big pay cut, he's an average first grader at the absolute best.

And you certainly are missing something if you think we can afford Khunt

Fro link said:
win lose or draw, he is over rated, over hyped and certainly overpaid.

only keep him if he takes a big pay cut, he's an average first grader at the absolute best.

And you certainly are missing something if you think we can afford Khunt

Orford will want the same kind of money hunts looking for

yeah mate I know that (maybe a bit more), but that would still leave us without a decent half back and no money to buy one.

I think if we had a top line 5/8 like Hunt and a pair of international centres in Matai and Lyon along with Stewart and Robbo and Williams on the wings that our dependence on a top line half is diminished and really all we'd need is a good solid ball distributor that had a good kicking game and solid defence.

I'm not looking for Ox's scalp or any scapegoat. The club has reported that he is a 'priority signing' and the rest of those off contract are waiting for this to be finalised. To delay the negotiations is selfish and detrimental to the club's planning for 2010 and beyond. Does he really deserve a 3 year contract?

since when has hunt been a top line 5/8???

hes an outstanding fullback, who plays there very occasionaly, is he any better than Lyon, who can't even get a run there?

[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=180256.msg220987#msg220987 date=1241052509]
I'm not looking for Ox's scalp or any scapegoat. The club has reported that he is a 'priority signing' and the rest of those off contract are waiting for this to be finalised. To delay the negotiations is selfish and detrimental to the club's planning for 2010 and beyond. Does he really deserve a 3 year contract?
[/quoteNo, if they retain him definitely 2 years considering his age and depleting kicking ability.
I don't think Orford delaying his talks will stop the club scouting and considering other options. They'll continue with this anyway and if they come up with any good results they'll have more negotiation points in future talks with Orford. After that it's up to him to decide if he wants to play out his career in the best comp or get on a plane and drink warm beer with the pommies.

missing_something link said:
we should let him go an buy Hunt as a 5/8 and blood Hodgksion, which would also give us a backup fullback should Brett be convicted and unavailable next year.

I am thankful you aren't selecting our sides and doing our recruitment mate !!! An unproven 5/8 and halfback would be a recipe for disaster

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=180256.msg220978#msg220978 date=1241049792]

I am thankful you aren't selecting our sides and doing our recruitment mate !!! An unproven 5/8 and halfback would be a recipe for disaster
[/quote]

Probably a good thing I’m not we might end up with a record like 2 wins from 7 games.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180256.msg221021#msg221021 date=1241068291]
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=180256.msg220978#msg220978 date=1241049792]

[/quote]

Probably a good thing I’m not we might end up with a record like 2 wins from 7 games.

[/quote]

1 thing is for certain, we wouldn't have 4 consecutive finals appearances and 1 premiership

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8