News: NRL refs to go back to basics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rusty link said:
They should make it that a try can only be scored with the hands, and only if the hands force the ball onto the ground. Get rid of the arm, the torso and such. And if there is separation as the ball hits the ground, its no try.

That seems fairly simple to me.

But then you couldn't dive over the try line and score, you'd have to have the balll in your hands which is stupid. Maybe they could change it so you have to have control of the ball.

Cletus link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186362.msg314076#msg314076 date=1296676173]
They should make it that a try can only be scored with the hands, and only if the hands force the ball onto the ground. Get rid of the arm, the torso and such. And if there is separation as the ball hits the ground, its no try.

But then you couldn't dive over the try line and score, you'd have to have the balll in your hands which is stupid. Maybe they could change it so you have to have control of the ball.
[/quote]

Why couldn't you dive over the line and score a try? I don't see how having to use the hands affects this at all.

As to this not being black and white, it is a lot more simple then they have made it. There are a lot of rules that could be eliminated that simply complicate the game. Ie, grounding with any part of the body that is not the hands. Or the ball going forward but being propelled back.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Cletus link=topic=186362.msg314198#msg314198 date=1296788903]

[/quote]

Why couldn't you dive over the line and score a try? I don't see how having to use the hands affects this at all.

As to this not being black and white, it is a lot more simple then they have made it. There are a lot of rules that could be eliminated that simply complicate the game. Ie, grounding with any part of the body that is not the hands. Or the ball going forward but being propelled back.
[/quote]

The actually states that to score a try there must be downward pressure and the player must be in control of the ball.

How can placing the finger, arm or torso be "In control of the ball"?

Fairly black & white to me.

Rex link said:
A penalty (possession change, 40 metre kick plus six tackles to the opposition) for walking off the mark is simply too severe.  They should just be made to go back and play the ball again in the correct spot - this allows the opposition extra time to set their defensive line - penalty enough - without referee whim changing the momentum of the entire game.

A well thought out and sensible solution to a problem.  You would never get a job at the NRL.

Rusty link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you dillusional?

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=186362.msg314160#msg314160 date=1296746260]
[quote author=ads link=topic=186362.msg314156#msg314156 date=1296741225]

Seriously its hard to get the ball to travel backwards when running at full pace!

What a load of crap. How come that they used to be able to do it then? All it takes is a little extra angle to get it to go back.
[/quote]

Running at full pace it's almost impossible to get the ball to travel backwards relative to the point on the ground where the ball is released from. Look at this video and you'll see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

[/quote]thats a blow out chip  i had no commentary  .. because work pc doesnt have speakers ,,  but  an interesting clip..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296805493[/time]

i just watch that again at home with audio...  i have come to the conclusion that if the ball carrier is faster than the bloke recieving the ball he could throw forward passes all game without being ping . simply by passing forward than running  atleast 3meters ahead berore the reciever gets it .. looks legit  every time..

Seaeagle63 link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186362.msg314199#msg314199 date=1296789920]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The actually states that to score a try there must be downward pressure and the player must be in control of the ball.

How can placing the finger, arm or torso be "In control of the ball"?

Fairly black & white to me.
[/quote]

Because the player is holding the ball against their chest with their hand and apllying downward pressure with their chest. There's no downward pressure with the hand in that situation and I think that is the whole point of the wording of the rule. It looks stupid when a player just dives on the ball with their chest, but the rule needs to have downward pressure from the torso in there somewhere.

I'd like to see the refs adjudicate on the game as they see it, not going in there with pre-conceived ideas on what teams and players offend in whichever areas.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8