News: McIntyre system perfect for NRL: Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>NRL chief executive David Gallop says the competition's controversial McIntyre finals system is here to stay.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4312-mcintyre-system-perfect-for-nrl-gallop.html">Read the full article</a>

The guy really does live on another planet.  The flaws of the system are plain for all to see, the vast majority hate it, but he'll persist.

I sometimes wonder if he's an accountant rather than a lawyer.

It could have really worked in our favour if we had beaten the Storm.
It is not perfect but don't think you will ever find a system that everyone will be happy with. Is it really that bad for the top 2 teams, as long as they win their games, why should any team be rewarded for losing a finals game?
I also think the 4 v 8 GF is based more on the fact that this year the comp was the most open it has been in a few years than a bad system.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
the system sucks but with any other system we probably would have been out as well anyway

Correct, we would have played Parra and i think we all have a fair idea how that would have panned out :(

I dunno about perfect, but I basically like the McIntyre System.

Sure, the NRL should look at changing it every several years or so, cuz change along can be a good thing.

But as it is it rewards those teams that win in the finals well, for mine.

The McIntyre system is inane. As proven by Gallop's support for it.

It allows ridiculous outcomes such as teams 3/4 being eliminated or teams 5/6 being rewarded with a second chance in week one.  

Similarly under McIntyre it may become a disadvantage to win the week one game because the win gives a harder elimination game in week two.

In contrast, the Aussie rules finals system always provides a real reward for winning a finals game, and always provides a real advantage for finishing higher before the finals.  e.g. In week 1 all of the top four teams are rightly guaranteed a second chance yet have something significant to play for, and all of the bottom four teams are rightly guaranteed to not have a second chance, so definitely have something to play for.  

What about a system that gives the reigning premier an automatic shot at defending the title. Maybe minor premier v defending premier at a neutral ground week 1 of finals, with a good advantage to the winner. It would fly in the face of all league history, which sees each season as a whole new comp unrelated to last year. Don't know why the idea popped into my head actually.

I do SER8: you fancied our chances against the dragon choke....

McIntyre rolls the dice more, and is more of a new comp (with some uneven handicapping) than a continuation of the regular season.

I think the finals should be coloured more by how teams went over the regular season slog. teams 1-4 should be guaranteed a second bite. I think homegame advantage should remain with teams 1 and 2 in any matchup for weeks 1-2 of the finals, then neutral ground after that (leaving aside the home city problem for now). So a team coming 2nd, say, who loses week 1 has their next semi at home as well.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6