1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: McIntyre system perfect for NRL: Gallop

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

+971 / 7
    <p>NRL chief executive David Gallop says the competition's controversial McIntyre finals system is here to stay.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4312-mcintyre-system-perfect-for-nrl-gallop.html">Read the full article</a>
  2. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

+466 / 6
    The guy really does live on another planet.  The flaws of the system are plain for all to see, the vast majority hate it, but he'll persist.

I sometimes wonder if he's an accountant rather than a lawyer.
  3. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+212 / 5
    The system doesn't reward those that perform best all year. We have a grand final with 4 versus 8 for goodness sakes.
  4. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

+258 / 4
    It could have really worked in our favour if we had beaten the Storm.
    It is not perfect but don't think you will ever find a system that everyone will be happy with. Is it really that bad for the top 2 teams, as long as they win their games, why should any team be rewarded for losing a finals game?
    I also think the 4 v 8 GF is based more on the fact that this year the comp was the most open it has been in a few years than a bad system.
  5. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

+2,097 / 13
    the system sucks but with any other system we probably would have been out as well anyway
  6. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

+233 / 0
    Correct, we would have played Parra and i think we all have a fair idea how that would have panned out :(
  7. ssar

ssar Well-Known Member

+206 / 4
    I dunno about perfect, but I basically like the McIntyre System.

Sure, the NRL should look at changing it every several years or so, cuz change along can be a good thing.

But as it is it rewards those teams that win in the finals well, for mine.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

+2,276 / 60
    The McIntyre system is inane. As proven by Gallop's support for it.

It allows ridiculous outcomes such as teams 3/4 being eliminated or teams 5/6 being rewarded with a second chance in week one.  

Similarly under McIntyre it may become a disadvantage to win the week one game because the win gives a harder elimination game in week two.

In contrast, the Aussie rules finals system always provides a real reward for winning a finals game, and always provides a real advantage for finishing higher before the finals.  e.g. In week 1 all of the top four teams are rightly guaranteed a second chance yet have something significant to play for, and all of the bottom four teams are rightly guaranteed to not have a second chance, so definitely have something to play for.  
  9. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+6,606 / 118
    What about a system that gives the reigning premier an automatic shot at defending the title. Maybe minor premier v defending premier at a neutral ground week 1 of finals, with a good advantage to the winner. It would fly in the face of all league history, which sees each season as a whole new comp unrelated to last year. Don't know why the idea popped into my head actually.
  10. Ian Martin tragic

Ian Martin tragic Well-Known Member

+137 / 0
    I do SER8: you fancied our chances against the dragon choke....

McIntyre rolls the dice more, and is more of a new comp (with some uneven handicapping) than a continuation of the regular season.

I think the finals should be coloured more by how teams went over the regular season slog. teams 1-4 should be guaranteed a second bite. I think homegame advantage should remain with teams 1 and 2 in any matchup for weeks 1-2 of the finals, then neutral ground after that (leaving aside the home city problem for now). So a team coming 2nd, say, who loses week 1 has their next semi at home as well.