News: Matai keen on Warriors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/3858852/Matai-keen-on-Warriors

KIWIS hard man Steve Matai is  emerging as the frontrunner to  replace Brent Tate at the Warriors  next year.
  The 25-year-old Manly centre is  off contract at season’s end and his  agent Gavin Orr yesterday revealed  Matai would move home if the  Warriors came up with the right  price.

Experienced centre Tate  confi rmed during the week he’d  signed a three-year deal with  North Queensland Cowboys so the  Warriors are after a replacement.

"I think Steve would move  home because he’'s still got a lot  of family there,’’'' Orr told Sunday  News yesterday. “

"But it will really  depend on what the Warriors would  be prepared to seriously put on the  table. They know he’'s available but  we haven’t heard from them.''

Of concern for the Warriors would  be Matai’s dodgy track record  with the NRL judiciary and past  troubles with neck and shoulder  injuries.

But it is the Kiwi centre’s  aggression, defensive prowess and  ability to find the tryline that would  really appeal to the club.

Warriors coach  Ivan Cleary is  disappointed  Tate opted not  to accept a  two-year  deal to  stay but  confirmed Matai would be an ideal  replacement.

"I had no idea he was interested  in coming home," Cleary said.

"But  we’'d certainly consider someone of  the calibre of Steve Matai.  “I suppose we’'ve only just heard  the news about Brent but  it does give us some  certainty and it  changes our salary  cap projections for  next year and all  that sort of thing.''

"We will need  to have a look at  everything now and  try to make some  decisions soon.

Orr said  Matai would  be a good  fi t.  "Everyone keeps asking me why  the Warriors haven’t been on the  phone wanting him.’’

Warriors recruitment boss Dean  Bell yesterday confirmed Matai was  “one of many’’ centres the club had  discussed.

But he conceded signing  a new prop was the top priority.

"He [Matai] is of interest, yeah,”''  Bell said.
Ad Feedback

On top of the prop hitlist is  Melbourne enforcer Adam Blair.  But sources say it’s unlikely the  Kiwi would be released early from  his contract, which expires in 2011.  Melbourne prop Brett White is  also thought to be of interest and is  a more realistic signing prospect.

Meanwhile, former Kiwis centre  Paul Whatuira could be on the lookout for an NRL club after being  released by Huddersfield. 

"They know he’s available but  we haven’t heard from them.''

That sums it up, just a beat up from his manager. Nothing article.

Good let him go free up some money for someone else he is just a passenger week by week i get sick of watching him hold that shoulder of hes.nest year i see something like this and it is minor prem material...
1.hoppa
2.robbo
3.farrer/whare
4.lyon
5.wolfman
6.brett stewart
7.foran
8.king
9.ballin
10.kite
11.watmough
12.t-rex
13.glen stewart

14.galovuo
15.harrison
16.rodney
17.rose

mr seagles link said:
Good let him go free up some money for someone else he is just a passenger week by week i get sick of watching him hold that shoulder of hes.nest year i see something like this and it is minor prem material...
1.hoppa
2.robbo
3.farrer/whare
4.lyon
5.wolfman
6.brett stewart
7.foran
8.king
9.ballin
10.kite
11.watmough
12.t-rex
13.glen stewart

14.galovuo
15.harrison
16.rodney
17.rose
.. dont be so quick to dimiss him mate .,  he gave us good service  im not happy he is going, he was one of our hard men.. hard  to replace him.. whare has  showed a bit of promise  with his hits in defence. but nothing like steve  ,, he would take em on up the middle..

Lol passenger?
I would say a passenger is someone who sits back and doesn't get involved. Matai is probably the busiest player in the comp.

He aint going anywhere just yet, if manly do let him go ill be very upset, with steve being fit hes the best centre in the league both defencively and in attack !

I've been a critic of Matai in previous seasons but this year he has been very good for us.  I just wish he'd stop with the suspensions, get himself physically right and play on with us.  

it will be a big LOSS ,mark my words ,yes he has a dodgy shoulder but hes given us great service and is still young,the rate were going we will have second string team ,were letting everyone go its ridiculous .....

mr seagles link said:
1.hoppa
2.robbo
3.farrer/whare
4.lyon
5.wolfman
6.brett stewart
7.foran
8.king
9.ballin
10.kite
11.watmough
12.t-rex
13.glen stewart

14.galovuo
15.harrison
16.rodney
17.rose

I fail to see how you could watch the games as you claim yet still say he is a passenger in his side. Are you sure you are watching the right bloke ?

MANLY4LIFE link said:
it will be a big LOSS ,mark my words ,yes he has a dodgy shoulder but hes given us great service and is still young,the rate were going we will have second string team ,were letting everyone go its ridiculous .....
Agree

To post news please use the "submit article" link and we will publish it

cheers

yeah I hadnt gotten around to publishing it yet

he is carrying injuries,he moves out of line in defence and lets tries in alot,he gets suspended alot,and he hates glen stewart alot 

mr seagles link said:
he is carrying injuries,he moves out of line in defence and lets tries in alot,he gets suspended alot,and he hates glen stewart alot 
..  i asked glens old man about that saga it was fukn nothing media hype  ..  matai wore the black singlet he has probably  about  7times this yr at training .. when you wear the black means your a non contact player.. but the boys are giving to him because he is wearing it all the time so  gifty gave him a nudge on way through steve had the shiits about it but thats it  .. it was a joke between the other boys on matai,...  matai choc snake & gifty  are best of mates..  lol @ when you say he  hates glenn..  ::) you... twit

mr seagles link said:

Mr Wonder may be a more apt username

Matai is too good of a player to lose hes only problem is his neck it could go anytime. maybe we should sign him year by year. Otherwise when on song hes the finest centre going around.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8