1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Manly star accused of slapping sponsor

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    <div id="post_message_5452935">JUST days after his man-of-the-match performance in Manly's World Club Challenge triumph over Leeds, the rugby league player Anthony Watmough's playing future is in doubt after he allegedly assaulted a sponsor at the club's season launch.
    Police are investigating Watmough for allegedly slapping a 48-year-old man in the face about 5pm yesterday after an argument.</div><div id="post_message_5452935">
    The season launch started at 1pm at the Wharf Hotel in Manly, organised by the club as a public relations exercise with its sponsors.
    It is understood the injured man was a club sponsor and was taken to hospital for treatment.
    The incident followed a range of disciplinary actions taken against 25-year-old Watmough for alleged assault.</div><div id="post_message_5452935">
    In 2007, Watmough had an apprehended violence order placed on him after allegedly assaulting a former girlfriend, though no charges were laid by police. In 2005, he was fined $3000 after a fight with her cousin at a family gathering.
    A police spokeswoman said the incident was being investigated, but no charges had been laid. "Police have spoken to a number of witnesses and are currently reviewing CCTV footage of the incident," she said.
    The <em>Herald</em> was unable to contact club officials or Watmough's manager, George Mimis, last night.

<a href="http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/watmough-slaps-sponsor/2009/03/07/1235842667742.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news...842667742.html</a></div>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Newsflash/manly-star-accused-of-slapping-sponsor.html">Read the full article</a>

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,093 / 286
    I'm just SURE the sponsor wasn't blind drunk, and I'm just SURE they weren't saying inappropriate things deserving of a clip over the ears.

That's all I'll say about that.

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if alcohol was a factor with both parties involved?  It must have been one hell of a slap to require hospital treatment. 

5. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +947 / 80
    It must have been an EN-ERG-ETIC slap to end up in hospital allright if you get my drift.

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    The latest regarding this in an article on Brett Stewart's alleged assault, as follows. Looks like it might be sorted.

"Another incident from the season launch in which second-rower Anthony Watmough punched a sponsor has been settled after a meeting this morning between the parties involved.

The club has already advised the NRL that two matters were investigated by police in regard to events which were unconnected. It has further advised that one matter has been resolved and no further action will be taken. "

7. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    This is a friggin nightmare

8. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    No wheel, it's rugby league. And don't we all love the game.  Allegations ONLY, remember that. 

9. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    reports he may be stood down

10. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    One matter has been sorted. And it appears to be wartmough. I WISH it was stewart though TBH.