News: Lowe & Tooves push Abbott for Brookie commitment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p />SEA EAGLES legends have joined the call for Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to honour previous election commitments and deliver federal funding for a much-needed Brookvale Oval upgrade.

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5045-lowe-a-tooves-push-abbott-for-brookie-commitment.html">Read the full article</a>

Re: News: Lowe & Tooves push Abbott for Brookie commitment

Got a question for you all. If Hugh Zochling is so fantastic, why is it only now he can commit to Federal Funding, whilst his government has been in at that level for a good many years?

He's another "gunna" man.

How about Hugh gets off his arse, and shows the commitment to our area, by getting the CURRENT Federal Government to pledge $30 million to the ground?

I'll tell you why. He lacks the capacity to do so, and this is the exact reason why we don't want a bloke like this in.

The Northern Beaches (as someone mentioned the other day) is starting to resemble the bronx (look at Brookvale Oval as the advertisment) for what our labor friends contribute, and constinue to contribute to us.

Tony has done 1/900th of what he could. Hugh has done nothing, but talk.

What else can he do Ryan, he hasnt been in parliment for the last 20 years and done SFA.

If you dont make it a marginal seat you are one of the reasons that Brookie gets neglected but i wouldnt want to force you to take some action rather than just be a keyboard hero

Fluffy link said:
What else can he do Ryan, he hasnt been in parliment for the last 20 years and done SFA.

If you dont make it a marginal seat you are one of the reasons that Brookie gets neglected but i wouldnt want to force you to take some action rather than just be a keyboard hero

He is a labor representative, in a Federal Labor government Fluffy. Imagine the damage to Abbott's reputation if ol' Hugh started attaining Labor money for hospitals, infrastructure and Brookvale, when Abbott has, and continues to do nothing for his demographic.

Hugh's just too re-active, and that's why he will never be voted in, nor will the area become marginal...

Actions will speak louder than words, and Hugh lacks the capacity to get the job done.......look at how much our Federal Govt. has thrown at us in the past 5 decades - and make no mistake, that's a horrible advertisement for Abbott as well !

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=184602.msg283668#msg283668 date=1281476527]

Hugh's just too re-active, and that's why he will never be voted in, nor will the area become marginal...

[/quote]

Wasn't Abbott's pledge, at the last fed election,a last minute re-active anouncement to minimise the swing against the libs.

Abbott's seat is a safe liberal seat therefore I suspect niether side will pledge any money towards brookie. Marginal seats are the winners in every election.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=184602.msg283668#msg283668 date=1281476527]

He is a labor representative, in a Federal Labor government Fluffy. Imagine the damage to Abbott's reputation if ol' Hugh started attaining Labor money for hospitals, infrastructure and Brookvale, when Abbott has, and continues to do nothing for his demographic.

Actions will speak louder than words, and Hugh lacks the capacity to get the job done.......look at how much our Federal Govt. has thrown at us in the past 5 decades - and make no mistake, that's a horrible advertisement for Abbott as well !
[/quote]

With all that said Ryan....does that mean you will vote Labor at the next election?

Fact is you have stated your issues with Tony Abbot, yet I bet you still vote for him

The Labor candidate has SFA chance of getting anything through unless he is voted in. Thats how politics works unfortunatly.

The fact is should he get voted in on the back of that promise the Government will be forced to pay up or be guarenteed to wave goodbye to the seat and the next election.

Ryan, following your logic, Abbott and Co have had over 10 years in the past 12 to upgrade Brookie and have done nothing. An unelected Labor candidate, in an election he has no hope of winning is involved in a publicity stunt, similar to Abbott's at the last election.

It is a pity that some infrastructure spending did not go on Brookie but it could be argued that there were other priorities.

Successive State Governments have been equally dismissive of the claims of the Brookie redevelopment.

We must keep up our advocacy on the matter as it is usually the amount of noise that forces both sides of politics to act on issues like this.

What is at question is whether funding of a football ground is the issue that will decide one's vote. My view is that I will vote for who I think will best run the country for the good of all Australians, though of course we should vigorously argue the need for a Brookie upgrade to both Federal and State Governments.

Who knows, the State election might be a good time to further push both parties?

Having a local candidate bringing up an issue and making a statement is the best thing that can happen in support of any local cause. Ryan, I'd advise you that shouting Zochling down makes it easier for Abbott to avoid commenting.

Generally the sitting member won't move on an issue until it is brought up by the other side. I support debate and continual media bombing on the issue, as this is what Governments ultimately take notice of. Unfortunate in many ways I know, but it is the reality we deal with.

It's great that the Telegraph is running this big story. Whilst it brings the Manly haters out, it also puts the item on the agenda. The pollies have very short memories so it is good to see it in print. We need to make the point that Manly is supported by many outside the peninsula.

Go to the Daily Tele website and make a comment on the blog - the more interest, the more focus from those in power or who hope to have it.

Abbott had plenty of time to get us funding for brookie when he was a minister in the Howard government and didn't.  In fact while he was health minister he didn't get any additonal funds for any hospital on the northern beaches either.

It doesn't matter which government is in the only seats that get a stack of funds are marginal ones. 

Abbott won't win any extra votes by commiting to funding for brookie prior to the election so he won't.  He could win a heap of votes however by prominsg to fund new rail lines to the northwest and southwest sydney areas.

Canteen Worker link said:
It's great that the Telegraph is running this big story. Whilst it brings the Manly haters out, it also puts the item on the agenda. The pollies have very short memories so it is good to see it in print. We need to make the point that Manly is supported by many outside the peninsula.

Go to the Daily Tele website and make a comment on the blog - the more interest, the more focus from those in power or who hope to have it.

I live in a marginal seat that was won by Liberal last election by around 500 votes. At the moment i have not made my mind up on who I will be voting for. But if one of thee main party's pledge the $30 million to Brookvale then that may be enough to get my vote. As you said, not all fans live in the electorate.

The local labour candidate was door knocking a few weeks back and asked what i think was needed in the area. I brought up Brookvale and she said that falls under a different area than the one she is running for. I told her true but it would help me vote for you if it was announced. 

Hugh Zochling is just after some cheap publicity for Labor.  Fortunately, a bi-product of that is that it provides some cheap publicity for our plight.  We should make the most of it.

The lack of funding for Brookie from both State and Federal governments over the past few decades is nothing short of a disgrace but, lets face it - it is indicative of the attitude of both governments to the Northern Beaches generally.

If the State government doesn't upgrade the Spit Bridge soon, I say we just knock the bloody thing down, build a fence around the entire Northern Beaches and set up our own government.

I propose Steve Menzies to be the first President of the Republic of the Sydney Northern Beaches!  ;D

Please welcome your new PM....BEAVER!!!

The club is looking for too much money.

Maybe if they ask for a more realistic sum, they might be taken more seriously.
We know we're not a priority, that's the way it is.

At the end of the day, all we really need is the drainage of the playing surface fixed & whatever they want to do with the corporate boxes.

That wouldn't cost that much & we might be able to convince the chimp to offer that as a goodwill gesture to shut us up. He wont spend overs if he doesn't have to.

Duff link said:
The club is looking for too much money.

Brookie is a good $30m out of date.  I don't think the figure is unreasonable when you compare it to the funding provided for other venues over the years since our last big splash of $1m for new lighting.

Have a look at the dosh being thrown around for Skilled Stadium in Geelong - $36m from the Federal Libs, plus $25m from the Victorian Labor govt.  Read the below article and see if you can work out why the money is being spent there instead of Brookie...

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/labor-faces-bite-over-stadium-upgrade-20100810-11xj7.html

The problem with asking for a smaller amount of money (eg. $10m) is that even after spending it Brookie will still be out of date, so certain Councillors will run the argument that the Sea Eagles will leave anyway so the money will be spent to make the ground more 'multi-purpose', rather than improving the facilities the Sea Eagles need.  Then Tree Hugging Hippie Kirch will get her way, and Brookvale Park will consist of a Koala park, an Ultimate Frisbee Staduim (hopefully there is a big fence between that and the Koala park or the RSPCA might have some issues with Koalas getting hit by stray frisbees), an organic cafe, a lava lamp shop and a Kombi only parking lot.

I have written to Manly Daily re the article

I don't know what you mean by out of date, Marcus.

It's a field with a fence around it.

As long as the playing surface is up to scratch & they have A/C in the boxes, or whatever it is they want, it's all good. Cheap as, up to date & still the same.

Duff link said:
I don't know what you mean by out of date, Marcus.

It's a field with a fence around it.

As long as the playing surface is up to scratch & they have A/C in the boxes, or whatever it is they want, it's all good. Cheap as, up to date & still the same.

I don't think we need to make sweeping changes to change the character of the ground.  $30m wouldn't be enough to turn Brookie into another SFS anyway.

Sure, A/C for the boxes is one of the priorities (The boxes in the MF stand are absolute sweatboxes - and we are trying to sell these as a premium product!), but its not just that.  Those boxes need to be completely refurbished.

In any case, we not only need to upgrade the standard of the corporate boxes, we need more of them...  we need more GA seating... better bathroom facilities... better catering facilities...  we need another grandstand... This stuff isn't cheap.

You and I might be prepared to go to Brookie and not paricularly care about a lot of these things, but it does keep others away.  It is costing the club money and making the prospect of playing at other venues look very attractive financially.

The Brookie facilities may have cut it in the 50s, 60s and 70s and probably even the 80s, but they were definitely starting to push it in the 90s and by now they are woefully behind the times.  We deserve and NEED a significant upgrade to bring them up to date with the standard that people expect today.

Profitability and home crowds are two of the NRL's criteria for a licence and the state of brookie must be turning a few people off going to home games. 

Low home crowds and a lack of coporate box facilities affects proftability enormously.  The club made $300k for the game at CC against the tigers compared to $120k for a game at brookie.  That is a loss of income of more than $2m a year which is huge for a football club. 

Upgrade brookie or it dies a slow death and the club has no alternative but to move more home games elsewhere. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8