News: Agents scrutinised over Storm cap drama

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">The body which governs NRL player agents will seek legal advice over what it labelled "serious allegations" surrounding the activities of managers involved in the Melbourne Storm salary cap breach.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5365-agents-scrutinised-over-storm-cap-drama.html">Read the full article</a>

TokyoEagle link said:
If the managers claim they didn't know, then who the hell did.

Take away their licences.

Scary thing is I wonder how many of our players are represented by the same guys.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=TokyoEagle link=topic=186499.msg316630#msg316630 date=1298030292]
If the managers claim they didn't know, then who the hell did.

Take away their licences.

Scary thing is I wonder how many of our players are represented by the same guys.
[/quote]

Mimis's SFX Sports manages, Darren Lockyer, Steve Price, Billy Slater, Brett Stewart and Justin Hodges are all part of the SFX portfolio, as well as rugby league greats Danny Buderus, Gorden Tallis, Bradley Clyde and rugby union convert Mark Gasnier. Our portfolio also includes coaches including Chris Anderson, Nathan Brown and Wayne Bennett. The next generation of representative players and stars who have chosen SFX include Darius Boyd, Anthony Quinn, Chris Lawrence, Ben Creagh and Anthony Watmough.

David Riolos Titan management http://www.titanmanagement.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=73
Tony Williams
Vic Mauro
Shane Rodney
Jamie Buhrer

The DT today doesn't name them, but Chris Barrett of SMH does put up four names.

"FOUR of rugby league's biggest player agents, who together represent a huge proportion of NRL and representative stars, could be expelled from the game after being named in an NRL report relating to serious allegations regarding the Melbourne Storm salary cap breach.

The agents are understood to be: David Riolo, a director at Titan Management, Isaac Moses, a Titan agent, George Mimis, managing director of SFX Sports Australia, and Allan Gainey, who manages Test centre Greg Inglis. Their names are understood to feature in the report, tabled at the Rugby League Accredited Player Agent Scheme committee meeting on Thursday night. The committee chairman, Geoff Bellew, SC, said in a statement yesterday that legal counsel had been engaged to advise whether ''evidence is sufficient to warrant disciplinary action being taken against any one or more player agents''. Bellew indicated that hearings could then take place."

More @ http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/four-agents-named-in-report-on-storm-rort-20110218-1azip.html

Mimis negotiated the Orford move to Manly.  Let's hope an investigation into these parasites doesn't go too far back.

TokyoEagle link said:
If a manager is deregistered, players would be allowed to find new managers.

In fact the  players don't have to find a new manager because it is not a requirement to be managed by an NRL accredited Player Manager.

Players sign a contract with their managers and if it is not  a clause that the player added to that contract my understanding is that they wont be able to terminate that contract even if the manager gets discredited by the NRL.

And if the contract between the player and the manager is terminated on both parties agreeing to part ways the player will still be liable for the  commission on every football payment for the duration of the existing playing contract.

Very messy business indeed.

The mail was very strong that the agents were going to be discreddited when the findings of the review were released last June or when ever it was. But 9 months have gone and nothing has occurred.

I am surprised to learn that matter was still ongoing.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8