1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: A mirror to our own failings?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Dan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    The NRL/AFL/Super 15 seasons loom and, as per usual, they're blighted by   numerous scandals involving young footballers running amok.  The  latest  is last year's Dally M bad boy Todd Carney caught DUI, and  further  south there's Ricky Nixon and his dalliances with a 17 year old   allegedly impregnated last year by one of the St Kilda players he   manages.

Read More

2. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I'd like there to be a year where I don't get away with re-hashing this article.

3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,159 / 26
    Next year will be no different.

4. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    It's the same every year. Always has been. It's just reported more these days. Mark Geyer mentioned recently how he was arrested and charged with assault 5 times during his career. I don't recall reading about any of them. The rugby league journalists need to get back to reporting on the game and stop acting like gossip collumnists. None of it should even be in the papers. It's none of our business.

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    ask Ben Alexander about Mark Geyer....

6. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Mark Geyer was constantly in the papers, they even had helicopters buzzing the ground when he made his debut for the Umina Bunnies.  He was the Luke Perry of the NRL back then.

His two biggest acts of thuggery however were leading with the elbow into Dale Shearer (Last regular round of 1988) and Paul Hauf in the Origin.  I wish Wally had put him out of his misery back then.

7. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    I agree 100%.

The media have a lot to answer for as do the Ironstines that believe everything the commercial stations & tabloid press dish up to them.

The bad publicity is almost entirely the fault of the media. If bad news is not publicised, to the majority of people there is no bad news.

8. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Are you serious? Geyer would have torn Wally a new one.