New Firefox browser set for release

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You are talking about operating system though, they both run on the intel processor.

Linux is far superior to both Mac and Windows in my opinion, though most need a little tinkering to get fully working, once running linux rarely has issues unless you cause them yourself

Pick up a $500 laptop, duck into a pc parts seller, pick up a 2g stick of ram for $40 and your problems will be solved.

You'd be amazed what a little extra ram does in those budget machines.

The biggest problem with Mac is their range of software. They're not for everyone. Most applications can be found on Windows operating systems yet there is by far a smaller range of apps for Mac, unless you really want to be bothered messing around with boot camp.

itunes is a windows app as well!

i would rather use the linux alternatives over all though!

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=177651.msg187163#msg187163 date=1213744105]
Nerds

Mate you have never said a truer thing- and guys, you know you are in trouble when to a scientist you sound like nerds!!
[/quote]  Just coz you're too busy spooning me on Facebook. 

I have recently become a Web Developer (more PHP CMS stuff than CSS HMTL ****e) but what i have noticed a few things. Personally for all decent heavily tested sites and noob sites, OPERA is far the BEST web browser, alot of Firefoxes features have lineage in opera. Opera is poor for CSS testing and Javascript fullstop.

The best browser to develop in is Firefox with Firebug plugin, though IE is more forgiving for a n00b. in terms of Speed, it goes Safari (though nothing works) Opera, IE7, Firefox. Javascript in IE7 is far more Robust than in anything else, alot works where in the others it doesn't.

Operating Systems:
Windows Vista > *. I don't care what anyone says, it is by far the best operating system though u need a faster comp.... i was using it on a P D 3.0ghz, 1gig and couldn't do much, on sat i upgraded to a Core Duo T9300 and 4 gig and it so good!..... the robustness where programs should really crash (as in not responding) and it recovers them. I used Linux and can't really stand it. There is some really good open source software out there but i tend to use the private gear, Dreamweaver over Aptana, CuteFTP over FileZilla, PSCS3 over everything.

Zep Vista is horrible, we refuse to use it or support it here.

I agree firebug is a great plugin and helps troubleshoot a lot of things. As a developer, I don't need much more than a text editor to develop in, syntax highlighting is enough, and I leave the design stuff to others as it is not my forte, but My favourite machine is my linux box, it never has to be restarted and just runs so smoothly

Firebug is great, but really I believe you need a combination of it and the Web Developer plugin.

Honestly, if you're doing more PHP than anything else, I recommend PDT (eclipse.org/pdt). It's essentially the base for the next version of Zend Studio. Link it with a decent debug extension in PHP and you get a great debug environment with it, too.

As far as OS' go... I'm a Linux fan, especially when it comes to web development, if only for the fact that I find that developing something in Windows when more than likely it will end up being hosted in a UNIX environment, you're just asking for trouble :)

i will have a look at PDT because i do like the look of Zend (haven't really used it). With regards to developing, i enjoy using VS 2002,05 or 08... it is just great, i am slowly getting used to PHP programming, uploading, testing, editing, uploading etc etc

Zep with eclipse you wont need to, and do yourself a favour and download WAMP and install it, that way you can develop straight on your PC.

If you want a project to sink your teeth into let me know, I am always looking for PHP developers to help me out here and I have another project I have yet to start that, I could do with having a partner in, as Narc is just too busy these days what with having a million kids up there in Canada ;)

just kidding Narc!

yeah i have wamp installed on my comps it is great for testing, i will have a look into that other program too... the people i am currently working for don't really like working on a local server, they would rather have the code on a backup drive and the work on a remote server, i know it doesn't make sense, but apparently it is for the clients to have a look at it... BS! it would take 5 mins to dump everything on a remote server.

btw, send us an email with anything u want to me to have a look at, i can't guarantee anything.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8