New coach for Manly - not Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Selectively using part of last year's season is disingenuous. We have lost 8 out of 11 games this season is how the discussion should be framed when talking about Toovey's recent results.
Not just some of last year's games, but trials and nines games! Seriously weakens his argument grasping at straws like these.

Selectively using part of last year's season is disingenuous. We have lost 8 out of 11 games this season is how the discussion should be framed when talking about Toovey's recent results.
Ok, sorry...weve lost 8 from 11. The nines, final series and trials didnt happen. Figment of my imagination. Also the 8 or so weeks leading up to last years finals. They were a mere dream as well.

Got it.

Can we at least agree that there is a worrying, long term trend here, or am i seeing it all wrong, and we are actually killing it?

Ok, sorry...weve lost 8 from 11. The nines, final series and trials didnt happen. Figment of my imagination. Also the 8 or so weeks leading up to last years finals. They were a mere dream as well.

Got it.

Can we at least agree that there is a worrying, long term trend here, or am i seeing it all wrong, and we are actually killing it?
And don't forget that we won a bunch of games last year we had no business winning. Last years overall position was a fools gold season until it actually turned into what it was during the last few rounds...

Don't know if people have read in today's telegraph (only reading because im at Crystals getting the new WRX washed), but all the Penrith players arw truly gutted at the prospect of losing Barrett. Some statements, and i quote:

"He's a great coach ... he's our brains behind most things."

"I've only heard about it today. I hope it's not true. Baz is massive."

"He's helped me, he's helped everyone at the club - especially the youngsters. I hope he doesn't go."

"He would leave a massive hole".

"Manly would be lucky to have him."

Doesnt sound like an inexperienced crap coach to me as people are alluding to. He's also a representative coach remember, so he wouldnt be selected because he is garbage.

Wallace stated that Barrett is ready to become a head coach - and said his ability to relate to his players was one of his greatest assets.

Barrett never played for Penrity either.

Got it.

And we won 16 games in 2014. I don't think any sensible Manly supporter has their head in the sand as to our predicament this season - last on the ladder after 12 rounds. Admit it though Ryan you've never liked Toovey and I see you gleefully using our current position as an opportune moment to sink the boot into Toovey.

And we won 16 games in 2014. I don't think any sensible Manly supporter has their head in the sand as to our predicament this season - last on the ladder after 12 rounds. Admit it though Ryan you've never liked Toovey and I see you gleefully using our current position as an opportune moment to sink the boot into Toovey.

Incrorrect. I told people half way through last year that i had egg in my face, albeit concerned about Toovey's finals record.

For that reason I feel your criticism of me is as cherry picking as you accuse me of with result.

It's about trend, and we are treanding dreadfully down. We cannot win matches anymore. There's always some form of tropical excuse thrown around as to the reasons why, i get that.

I think it's Toovey. I think his players either arent buying in, or they aren't committed. I think he's lost the playing group.

Having players openly stating they want to play for another coach, so they can take their careers to the next level does worry me.

Do I want change? Yes. I won't shy from that. Thankfully I feel the leaders of the club feel that way as well. It's promising.

I will give credit (as i did season proper last year) when his team performs. Apparently I'm not allowed to use any results up until the 8 losses from 11 this season, but even then.....not great.

Edit: And i do not like Toovey as a person. I have my reasons why, but it would be completely inappropriate to discuss them here, especially considerring the bashing I received for telling people Foran was off to the Eels in October or whatever it was last year. It was something i experienced (along with Shane Dunley) and we were both very unappy about it..so its not gossip...i was involved.

Sounds like Barrett is the new Arthur after those quotes.

He should be able to take use to wooden spoons and maybe, just maybe a 10th just like the Dalai.

I think Tooves is a good coach, but has some questionable aspects to his methods (bench rotation, golden point plays or lack thereof, his raspy voice @:D...). But he is certainly not the sole blame for our current position. Trent Barrett maybe a risk worth taking - I don't know. But anyway, I hope Tooves can pull out a win this Friday just to throw a spanner on top of all the other spanners.

Last edited:
Our bad run started last year when we lost Ballin to a season ending injury against the Panthers. His loss was compounded by the fact that his best replacement in Buhrer was also lost to a season ending in the same match. Those two injuries single-handedly wiped our chances for the premiership last season, much like Snake’s season ending injuries did in the 09 and 10 seasons. For as long as I’ve followed league, I’ve always heard coaches crapping on about needing a good run with injuries around finals time and having luck on your side if you want the best chance at winning a title. We didn’t have that last year and nearly toppled the Dogs who went on to make the grand final. If the referees had the balls to penalise Reynolds for clearly being offside near his tryline in the dying stages, all Lyon had to do was kick a penalty goal to take us to another grand final qualifier.

Now we’ll turn to this season. I’ll start with the forwards. The player who gives us the most go forward (Lawrence) has barely been sighted. We’ve also seen **** all of his starting partner in Starling. These two took us to equal first last year and it would have been ****ing great to have them starting again this year with Turbo and Sao coming off the bench. Also, our best forward in Buhrer is gone for the season again.

8. Lawrence

9. Ballin

10. Starling

11. Buhrer

12. Horo

13. Lui

14. Turbo

15. Sao

16. Symonds

17. Leary

I would be ****ing stoked if it was possible to field the above forward pack in the latter half of this season. With Buhrer gone, sadly we can’t. But this forward pack, or something close to it, would give us far more chances at winning matches than we have been afforded this season.

Now for the backline which has been our crown jewel for years. Even before kickoff began this season, people were still rating our backline as arguably the best in the league. 6 of our starting 7 are genuine match winners and each of these 6 players has spent time on the sideline this season. Snake, Lyon, Matai, Taufua, Foran & Cherry-Evans. When these 6 are playing, our opposition are always ****ting bricks. Notice what has happened within the last month when our backline has resembled anything close to being at full strength. 2 high quality wins from 4 matches. The 2 losses were against teams currently in the top 8, both losses came in the dying stages and 1 was against the team that you’d have to say is the favourite for this year’s premiership. The last month of football has also seen our defence improve significantly. We have now played 5 games this season against teams currently in the top 8 and have conceded an average of 2 tries per game from these 5 matches. That’s clearly punching above our weight against the giants when you look at our position on the ladder. There are currently 7 teams in the competition with worse defence than us this season and you’d have to think that our defence would be even better still if we could ****ing score points. To score more points, we need Lawrence and Starling back so that we have a better chance at winning the arm wrestle. We also have to hope that at least Snake, Lyon, Foran and DCE can remain relatively injury free for the remainder of the season.

The reasons in order for our position on the ladder are as follows.

1. Injuries

2. Daylight

3. Boardroom Drama

4. Contract Negotiations

5. The Coach
I also have to take a massive swipe at those who are discrediting Tooves’ ability as coach. The guy has been a vital cog in the Manly juggernaut since 2004. He signed on shortly after retiring as a player and was here as a coach before we started our current run of 10 consecutive finals series. He is already a 2 time premiership winning coach, albeit as an assistant. When **** hit the fan in 2011, he stepped up for us in our time of need and has since coached us to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes for the 1st time since the 90’s. Add to that, he was rorted out of a grand final victory in 2013 and came closer than Hasler did to winning an elusive Minor Premiership. He has only ever faltered after enduring a horrendous injury toll to many key players, which has brought his overall winning % from the low 60’s to the high 50’s. No coach can overcome the injury toll he has faced. The players are still putting in for him, otherwise our defence would more reflect our position on the ladder. I can accept if people want change and if that’s the case, then fair enough. But to claim that he can’t coach or that he is past it is a ****ing insult. For the record, I could accept Bellamy or Hasler being our head coach. In the case of Hasler though, I would only welcome him back after Tooves’ contract expires.

I feel that this lean run is making a lot of us lose perspective. We need to harden up in times of a crisis and not look for a scapegoat. That’s the Manly way.

Last edited:
Our bad run started last year when we lost Ballin to a season ending injury against the Panthers. His loss was compounded by the fact that his best replacement in Buhrer was also lost to a season ending in the same match. Those two injuries single-handedly wiped our chances for the premiership last season, much like Snake’s season ending injuries did in the 09 and 10 seasons. For as long as I’ve followed league, I’ve always heard coaches crapping on about needing a good run with injuries around finals time and having luck on your side if you want the best chance at winning a title. We didn’t have that last year and nearly toppled the Dogs who went on to make the grand final. If the referees had the balls to penalise Reynolds for clearly being offside near his tryline in the dying stages, all Lyon had to do was kick a penalty goal to take us to another grand final qualifier.

Now we’ll turn to this season. I’ll start with the forwards. The player who gives us the most go forward (Lawrence) has barely been sighted. We’ve also seen **** all of his starting partner in Starling. These two took us to equal first last year and it would have been ****ing great to have them starting again this year with Turbo and Sao coming off the bench. Also, our best forward in Buhrer is gone for the season again.

8. Lawrence

9. Ballin

10. Starling

11. Buhrer

12. Horo

13. Lui

14. Turbo

15. Sao

16. Symonds

17. Leary

I would be ****ing stoked if it was possible to field the above forward pack in the latter half of this season. With Buhrer gone, sadly we can’t. But this forward pack, or something close to it, would give us far more chances at winning matches than we have been afforded this season.

Now for the backline which has been our crown jewel for years. Even before kickoff began this season, people were still rating our backline as arguably the best in the league. 6 of our starting 7 are genuine match winners and each of these 6 players has spent time on the sideline this season. Snake, Lyon, Matai, Taufua, Foran & Cherry-Evans. When these 6 are playing, our opposition are always ****ting bricks. Notice what has happened within the last month when our backline has resembled anything close to being at full strength. 2 high quality wins from 4 matches. The 2 losses were against teams currently in the top 8, both losses came in the dying stages and 1 was against the team that you’d have to say is the favourite for this year’s premiership. The last month of football has also seen our defence improve significantly. We have now played 5 games this season against teams currently in the top 8 and have conceded an average of 2 tries per game from these 5 matches. That’s clearly punching above our weight against the giants when you look at our position on the ladder. There are currently 7 teams in the competition with worse defence than us this season and you’d have to think that our defence would be even better still if we could ****ing score points. To score more points, we need Lawrence and Starling back so that we have a better chance at winning the arm wrestle. We also have to hope that at least Snake, Lyon, Foran and DCE can remain relatively injury free for the remainder of the season.

The reasons in order for our position on the ladder are as follows.

1. Injuries

2. Daylight

3. Boardroom Drama

4. Contract Negotiations

5. The Coach
I also have to take a massive swipe at those who are discrediting Tooves’ ability as coach. The guy has been a vital cog in the Manly juggernaut since 2004. He signed on shortly after retiring as a player and was here as a coach before we started our current run of 10 consecutive finals series. He is already a 2 time premiership winning coach, albeit as an assistant. When **** hit the fan in 2011, he stepped up for us in our time of need and has since coached us to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes for the 1st time since the 90’s. Add to that, he was rorted out of a grand final victory in 2013 and came closer than Hasler did to winning an elusive Minor Premiership. He has only ever faltered after enduring a horrendous injury toll to many key players, which has brought his overall winning % from the low 60’s to the high 50’s. No coach can overcome the injury toll he has faced. The players are still putting in for him, otherwise our defence would more reflect our position on the ladder. I can accept if people want change and if that’s the case, then fair enough. But to claim that he can’t coach or that he is past it is a ****ing insult. For the record, I could accept Bellamy or Hasler being our head coach. In the case of Hasler though, I would only welcome him back after Tooves’ contract expires.

I feel that this lean run is making a lot of us lose perspective. We need to harden up in times of a crisis and not look for a scapegoat. That’s the Manly way.
Holly $hit!! Could you highlight the best bits for me and re- post? That's easily a 2 stubble read.

Tooves hasn't lost the players, and they are putting in.
A quick look at the table shows we have the worst attack for points scored, but are 8th in defence for points conceded.

If the players weren't putting in then our defense would have been a lot worse than it has been. How many blowouts have there been this year?

Attack is brought on by confidence, defence is by attitude.

Tooves hasn't lost the players, and they are putting in.
A quick look at the table shows we have the worst attack for points scored, but are 8th in defence for points conceded.

If the players weren't putting in then our defense would have been a lot worse than it has been. How many blowouts have there been this year?

Attack is brought on by confidence, defence is by attitude.
Exactly. Except against the eels and maybe the Raiders we have been in most games, we just need to sort out the last 20. I think this will happen when we get a few games with our best players on the track and then were finals bound. Thought we have been good the last few weeks, just had some moments and bad luck.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8