My top Eight - Zorba

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
People who know me will tell you I rarely sit on the fence.
But when it comes to ranking my top eight in order, I'm going to wear a few splinters.
Just trying to work out who will make it let alone in what order is hard enough and can leave you looking like a goose.

Read the full article

I listened to the sportal podcast with zorba today. He's a great servant of our club and I've never been one to bag him but FFs zorba get over this unconditional love of des. It sickens me. The world has seen proof that hasler tried to have him booted in 2010. I also have it on very good authority that des was consulted when zorba was made redundant and then used it to justify he's decitful actions signing with Canterbury. Yet zorba sees to forget all this and pisses in Dessie boys pocket at every oportunuity.

My God, Gidley.

If Gidley was going to win a D-M it would have been when he was the primary star in an otherwise lackluster team, now he will have to share the points with Snowden, Boyd, Uate and others. We don't even know if he will get minutes or if Benny wants him around.

Gidley is an above average club player, and all respect for that, but he is one of the worst to pull on a blues jersey and would have to be at least 15 places down the list in D-M possibilities.

Also isn't Zorba on the Sea Eagles board? Should he not be tipping us even if he doesn't believe it...

"Bulldogs: The Doggies snuck in under Manly's guard and lured Dessie Hasler to Belmore in what will go down as one of the great coaching coups. Hasler took the Sea Eagles from basket case to premiers twice in four years. It probably won't be this year but they will win a comp on his watch. He will make Ben Barba an even greater player and we'll see a different Mick Ennis under Hasler's no-nonsense regime while Frankie Pritchard will be fit for the first time in his career."

His obssesion with Hasler is there for all to see. The bit about the dogs sneeking under Manly's guard is a joke, we all know he signed with the dogs well before and didn't give Manly the decency to put it a final offer because he'd already signed elsewhere while still contracted to Manly for another 18 months.

people have to remember Zorba was put out to pasture. regardless of his abilities and position, no doubt it would have been gut wrenching for a person that has given his whole life to Manly.By many he has been painted the villain. Now I'm not getting into the detail but as a man, that would be hard to digest after that many loyal years.

Des now is in the villain basket and when you consider that Manly very rarely devour there own, its obvious they are in a class of there own in the community and media and amongst fans

Is it no wonder they are sticking together. This type of solidarity happens in every walk of life.sympathy generally comes from those who have a similar experience

I understand why many people don't wish to accept there actions, but dumping **** on them at every possible opportunity also reflects badly on those with the shovel. I'm not pointing out comments in this thread as it happens in all threads and this is just the thread I have chosen to air this.

While Des in particular handled his contract badly, and essentially held a gun to the boards head, and poached staff, all of this would have happened regardless next season as all coaches take there staff. Its footy and to be expected.

I think its time we all just got on with toovey, 2012, parish and co and used our energy in a positive way

Des and zorba have probably acted like spoilt brats on occasion and this is what many take offence at, but acting like spoilt brats in response seems pointless, childish and hypocritical to me

I've had this long held respect for Zorba, possibly stemming from listening to him and Greg Hartley all the years ago with my old man before he passed away.

He's always been someone who calls a spade a spade (much like my father) but if your reading this Peter for gods sake just stick solid to the club you've loved for years or quietly just put the cue in the rack and admire the view...Take a tip from one Ken Arthurson the man oozes class.

jbb/james said:
Des now is in the villain basket and when you consider that Manly very rarely devour there own, its obvious they are in a class of there own in the community and media and amongst fans

Is it no wonder they are sticking together. This type of solidarity happens in every walk of life.sympathy generally comes from those who have a similar experience

While Des in particular handled his contract badly, and essentially held a gun to the boards head, and poached staff, all of this would have happened regardless next season as all coaches take there staff. Its footy and to be expected.

Sure his contract was up at the end of the year and no-one would begrudge him if he didn't deceive management and fans. He didn't have the decency to allow Manly to make a final bid. Players, coaches and administrators come and go, be the level of deceit shown by Hasler is unparalleled at this club.

The players, club and fans couldn't even enjoy the grand final win. And all the negative press that followed is a disgrace. Don't matter how you paint it, Hasler's in my books is deceitful, dishonest and a liar.

With all due respect Zorba, maybe it's time to start to consider putting your cue in the rack.

Well said swoop, couldnt agree more about Des and MB you got that right about Zorba also.

Isn't this goose on the Board of our club? He should be ashamed for dissing us. Retire to the old man's home now you old fucque.

Poor Zorba. You have to feel sorry for bloke who was given a $200K pay out and all he did was sit on a stool and watch the boys train. Apparently he is paid in monthly installments for the next two years and if he says just one derogatory remark against the Manly Board the Gravy Train gets cut off for good. He must struggling to with-strain himself as has been rather tame in the Manly Daily lately.

If sticks to talking footy I have no issues with the Big Fella. I enjoy his column in the MD on Saturday.

I wish Zorba would either get over the last 12 months and get on with his life, or move to Belmore with De$$ie.

And it's also time for him to give up his gig with the Manly Daily if he wants to continue living in the past. In last Saturday's column he criticised the teams performance in the WCC and then had a shot at management and Toov's about not following De$$ie's method (e.g. a warm up game in England and they would have done better).

Fair point on it's own, however Zorba didn't then mention how things panned out in '09 after winning against Leeds -a disastrous season launch and poor season. All of which occurred while he and Dessie were heavily involved with the club. A bit of balance would be nice from Zorba.

It's about time he moved right on.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8