Moneyball

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
This is an interesting baseball movie based on truth that shows (among other things) what happens when teams are privately owned. Contracts mean nothing, players get traded throughout the season, and it must be extremely difficult for clubs to build up team spirit.

NRL seems to be headed down this path. Once the community loses its say in the running of a club then the sport truly does become a business.

The movie should be a lesson about giving private owners complete power.

I watched it on saturday and couldn't stop wondering if that is what it was like in some of the meetings.

The Yankees are privately owned, They are the most successful team (championships won) of any sport in the world. They don't win every year (there is 30 teams in the MLB) People hate them because of who they are, and what they do..WIN. Private ownership is good if you are a Yankee, or a yankee player.

funny I have not seen the movie but have read the book - I thought it was about the use of statistics to create a new view on commonly held ideas. Player trades , whilst important , are far from the primary message

Isn't it about a low-budget team who use some formula to create a winning team with limited resources?

fantastic movie. My son and I were enthralled by it. Though he is only eight, he is a huge baseball fan and player. Me, I'm just a coach. Ok, now back to the topic...
I was amazed at how easy players were traded; they are mere commodities for the clubs to fulfil a higher purpose. It is a sporting culture we yet don't understand and find it hard to comprehend.
Baseball is the most 'coached' game in the world where the coach has more influence on a game than any other game.
A great game.

Trade part no however the the placement of values on players in a "perceived" fashion yes

Take front row forwards - how the hell can you judge their potential at toyota cup level?

Baseball leaves cricket for dead as far as breadth and depth of statistical analysis is concerned. It is also a very tactical game where playing the percentages on statistics can give you an edge, hence the emphasis on the numbers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6