1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moneyball

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Who, Nov 15, 2011.

1. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    This is an interesting baseball movie based on truth that shows (among other things) what happens when teams are privately owned. Contracts mean nothing, players get traded throughout the season, and it must be extremely difficult for clubs to build up team spirit.

NRL seems to be headed down this path. Once the community loses its say in the running of a club then the sport truly does become a business.

The movie should be a lesson about giving private owners complete power.

2. lloydy

lloydy Active Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    I watched it on saturday and couldn't stop wondering if that is what it was like in some of the meetings.

3. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    I had some deja vu in the scene where Billy Beane meets up with John Henry...

4. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    The Yankees are privately owned, They are the most successful team (championships won) of any sport in the world. They don't win every year (there is 30 teams in the MLB) People hate them because of who they are, and what they do..WIN. Private ownership is good if you are a Yankee, or a yankee player.

5. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    funny I have not seen the movie but have read the book - I thought it was about the use of statistics to create a new view on commonly held ideas. Player trades , whilst important , are far from the primary message

6. Ceagle

Ceagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +238 / 3
    Isn't it about a low-budget team who use some formula to create a winning team with limited resources?

7. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    yep not too different from manly....

8. captainskin

captainskin Active Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    fantastic movie. My son and I were enthralled by it. Though he is only eight, he is a huge baseball fan and player. Me, I'm just a coach. Ok, now back to the topic...
    I was amazed at how easy players were traded; they are mere commodities for the clubs to fulfil a higher purpose. It is a sporting culture we yet don't understand and find it hard to comprehend.
    Baseball is the most 'coached' game in the world where the coach has more influence on a game than any other game.
    A great game.

9. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Trade part no however the the placement of values on players in a "perceived" fashion yes

Take front row forwards - how the hell can you judge their potential at toyota cup level?

10. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Baseball leaves cricket for dead as far as breadth and depth of statistical analysis is concerned. It is also a very tactical game where playing the percentages on statistics can give you an edge, hence the emphasis on the numbers.

11. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    Yeah except unlike the A's, we actually win titles!