Announcement Mobile app shutdown

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

Overnight we were informed that the Apple App store has changed its policies which means the way that the app is distributed no longer works. This means that we would need to put more money into the app itself. We would have to invest in an enterprise app store account and change the licensing model. Thats an additional $100 USD a year on just the app store account plus additional fees on the app itself. As the usage of the app from what I can gather is not that high I can not really see this as a viable option to put further money into something not many are directly using. As such I have another fortnight to make a call on the closure of the app, however I am currently leaning towards closing down the app and going back to a browser based version instead, which is not that different, but means we will not get push notifications.

I am happy to hear your thoughts on the app and whether you are actually using it, but more likely we will end up without it unless there is significant support.

One option is for it to remain but to charge a nominal fee for purchasing the app in the app store, say $2 which may help offset the cost. As it stands I spend a much larger chunk of money for the app itself and this additional fee just gets in the way of other things like a more robust dedicated server which is my plan for next year.

Dan

I say bigger picture ie: dedicated server, no point in wasting any money.
go bare bones untill then, btw thx for your effort!

Yeah I'm living without the app OK.
It was good while it lasted though.

The missus and I both recently started using the App, one android and one apple.
If it goes, I'm sure we'll survive with the browser version like we did for years.
Cheers Dan

The missus and I both recently started using the App, one android and one apple.
If it goes, I'm sure we'll survive with the browser version like we did for years.
Cheers Dan
I've never used the app.

I doubt my wife uses it, and I don't indeed know whether she posts on here. Are you here babe? What is your avatar?

Use it constantly and really like it , would be happy to pay for it, some I've bought recently have been $7.99 so even that would be ok.

But it seems like I'm in the minority here.

I've never used the app.

I doubt my wife uses it, and I don't indeed know whether she posts on here. Are you here babe? What is your avatar?

Have bazeagle and your wife ever been seen in the same room together?
Oh, that doesn't sound right does it??!

I should have added if it's not available obviously I'll go back to Chrome or whatever, no point keeping an App operational for one stuck in a rut old fart!!
I use it too more than the browser, though I don't love using my phone for much else than a phone.

It's sad but the upkeep is quite high going forward. I will have a think through it. The thing is the $99 is a yearly fee from Apple and I can't imagine the app covering its own costs unfortunately at this point

Personally I use the app - for some reason the various browsers stop remembering my login and password periodically which is a slight annoyance, but not enough to stop me. Would be happy to pay for the app as well, whatever works.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10