Mental Health

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
There are always a heap of comments on here re players and the fact they should feel “lucky” to get paid to play the game

This was something from Ange P during the week talking about a player who had struggled

The same player this week scored an equaliser then set up a match winner (after this press conference).

For me there is always so much more going on than what we see / hear about especially when we are talking about young men.

Guess that is why all big scale operating sporting clubs have welfare officers and the like to assist as best as possible with those type of issues .
Hard to say if players in the more modern era , well maybe past 25 years or so with full time professionalism and participation would have the same or some form of pressures and distractions or associated concerns issues as prior times with generally requiring a full time job as well .
In some ways maybe yes , or could even be more so but who really knows

I am sure there is lots going on in the headspace of the many posters whether active or non active on this site regardless of how much they may have earned or have earned in their respective career. Mental health is revelant in every aspect of life for all just not the players.

Last edited:
I put my hand up I been here.
5 weeks ago I spent 2 weeks in a private mental health clinic, 44 put feeling aside separated from wife for second time in 10 years been together 24 years. Hit me for 6, but I had to do it last time I drank myself silly and did not improve me nor take time out.
It's okay to not be okay, blokes need people to talk to.

5 weeks ago I spent 2 weeks in a private mental health clinic, 44 put feeling aside separated from wife for second time in 10 years been together 24 years. Hit me for 6, but I had to do it last time I drank myself silly and did not improve me nor take time out.
Thank you for sharing. It's a tough journey to be on and sometimes it can be hard to speak up about it.

Remember to be kind to yourself.

I'm with you brother. I myself are dealing with issues, working on it now. Stay strong mate

I'm with you brother. I myself are dealing with issues, working on it now. Stay strong mate
I can empathize with you feathered friend
It is a big issue and a massive challenge this finals time of the year
When we see supporters from other clubs looking happy and proudly geared up wearing their qualifying cup teams gear
The sooner this NRL season is over the better
The only way to remain strong is to remain optimistic , hopeful and positive for another premiership Manly Winning year and our only cure

Happiness is......
Manly Winning Grand finals
1695014795487.png

There are two types of men

Those who are comfortable in talking about their mental health / potential issues and those who are not - we all suffer from something. I applaud you posting this and hope you are doing as well as you can considering your circumstances

Life can deal out some tough hands and when in despair it is almost impossible to think logically. We need to look out for one another and we can't expect that people will always tell us if they are in trouble. We need to stay vigilant and support them.

I think there's a lot of campaigns for mental health, but how effective are they really?
For example if you work in a company and you say you have a mental issue, I'd say its still likely you will be discriminated against and the stigma will stick. Suppose you apply for a job or on the issue of buying an insurance premium, is that going to be counted against you? The campaigns on the surface seem accommodating but on the ground Im of the opinion that because its something you can't see, there's always conjecture.

Unless you have been through anxiety, then you dont know how painful it is and can be. It can be tough to open up to someone and even then you have to make sure that you get someone thats in it for the long haul and not get someone thats gunner quit on you halfway through because they realise its too big a task for them to handle. That in itself can be soul destroying for the person you are helping. Again, thats the big thing, finding the right person

I think there's a lot of campaigns for mental health, but how effective are they really?
For example if you work in a company and you say you have a mental issue, I'd say its still likely you will be discriminated against and the stigma will stick. Suppose you apply for a job or on the issue of buying an insurance premium, is that going to be counted against you? The campaigns on the surface seem accommodating but on the ground Im of the opinion that because its something you can't see, there's always conjecture.
Mate, we had a celebrity come out to work late last year, no names mentioned. Gave his life story of the heartbreak he went through and some of the blokes at work spoke to him about how bad it was there at work with blokes suffering from depression and anxiety and how it wasnt being addressed. I had a chat to him and he asked me is it as bad as those guys are saying and I told him it is and he asked me if it would help if he said something and I said it would coming from a high profile person it surely would. I kept in contact with him a few times with updates and told him some stuff, but got nothing in return, zilch. He just gave me the thumbs up but he did nothing, again that can be soul destroying. Thats what angers me the most when celebrities come out and make a huge speel about it but when it comes to the crunch, they steer clear. Not saying all celebrities are like that but there are a lot that are

Mate, we had a celebrity come out to work late last year, no names mentioned. Gave his life story of the heartbreak he went through and some of the blokes at work spoke to him about how bad it was there at work with blokes suffering from depression and anxiety and how it wasnt being addressed. I had a chat to him and he asked me is it as bad as those guys are saying and I told him it is and he asked me if it would help if he said something and I said it would coming from a high profile person it surely would. I kept in contact with him a few times with updates and told him some stuff, but got nothing in return, zilch. He just gave me the thumbs up but he did nothing, again that can be soul destroying. Thats what angers me the most when celebrities come out and make a huge speel about it but when it comes to the crunch, they steer clear. Not saying all celebrities are like that but there are a lot that are
I reckon some celebs get in there to get some clout for themselves.
The thing I don't like about some celebrities is that when they screw up over something and get bad airplay, they play the mental health card. Which is a big slap in the face for lifelong sufferers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8