Membership Numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
I just don't understand how we cant get more members.

My example is Western Sydney Wanderers in the A League....For this upcoming season they have 10,098 members already signed up in the last few week. they have 66,922 likes on the official Facebook page....15%. they have won nothing.

If we could get the same ratio we would have over 20,000 members.

Why cant we convert people over to membership, its not expensive and we have so much more to offer than the a league.

The year old question. I don't know how Souths get so much members either. We have been the most successful team for a decade, and yet, struggle to get membership

What's our current membership number?

I find it hard to understand, as I get membership for me and the kids (and we don't use it for games), and the value is quite good. With stickers, caps, scarves etc. And the kids just love it.

Because nobody likes us. I mean this, everyone I talk to who isn't a Manly fan hates us.

Maybe the DCE era will see this change but I doubt it.

The NRL should treat fans with some respect and understand they are no longer defending the lead, but trying to stay relevant and expand.

They should do some case studies on Borders and MySpace and apply the lessons, I am sure they will find room to improve or a door to failure

That's true @"bob dylan" but Frogz is talking about converting 15% of the 145,000+ Manly Facebook fans (likes) to become members.

While probably all of us on here are members I can understand why other supporters prefer to buy tickets, or take the chance of being given free tickets, when they are available to attend. It's a financial decision.
We members are prepared to support the club by signing up early, even though it is not economical. At most matches I see discount tickets, tickets given away free, and I also know that people associated with Channel Nein and the NRL get their friends into matches, bypassing the turnstyles. Many supporters don't want to commit themselves to attending each home game.
The only solution I can see, if you want to boost membership numbers, is to offer a greater variety of memberships at cheaper prices.

I think the extravagant pricing in regards to NRL licensed goods is a big factor, and really needs to change, people don't have the money left over for memberships after buying these items year in / year out (no-one is forcing people to buy them sure.. but for someone out of the local area who can't get to any / many games - what would you prefer to spend your cash on.. something you can wear around often... or a membership you personally don't see much benefit from having?)
Many people like to get jerseys & supporter wear, at $160 a pop for an adult jersey, $80/$90 for polo tops and all the rest of the bits n pieces.. then the kids want stuff. It adds up.

You used Wanderers as an example, you see the jerseys everywhere because they are just a touch over $100 on release (same as afl), and drop to $80 mid-late season, still expensive, but a major difference and its why the huge majority of people who attend the games, are wearing the jersey. Throw in the fact that they can fill their stadium, and a membership is easiest way to ensure you can get into a game. NRL is free ticket central to fill seats week in / week out. everyone knows you can just walk up and get a ticket, so why pay for a seasons worth of tickets when you may not know your circumstances / weather / if you'll go each time.

Obviously the hardcore supporter sees the value in it, likes to support the club and whatnot, they are not the ones who need selling to, its the average punter who doesn't care for these things and needs a harder sell to be convinced.

Something like a jersey + 3 game pass for $120, polo + 3 game pass for $100 for the casual fan, new signups, then a jersey + season pass for $200 kinda deal as well would see numbers skyrocket i reckon. Make it available only in the off season with delivery / pick up of the jerseys during the trial game period after which the deal expires. If the NRL made a deal with the clubs where they waive their licensing fees on jerseys with memberships, in return the NRL gets a wider list of members to market to and suddenly those who don't see value in a membership are enticed into the familiarity of it all and will probably renew the next season. my two cents anyway.

The Who said:
While probably all of us on here are members I can understand why other supporters prefer to buy tickets, or take the chance of being given free tickets, when they are available to attend. It's a financial decision.
We members are prepared to support the club by signing up early, even though it is not economical. At most matches I see discount tickets, tickets given away free, and I also know that people associated with Channel Nein and the NRL get their friends into matches, bypassing the turnstyles. Many supporters don't want to commit themselves to attending each home game.
The only solution I can see, if you want to boost membership numbers, is to offer a greater variety of memberships at cheaper prices.

I think you have a valid point on the free ticket situation, there are a lot of people who say they are huge Sea Eagles fans but have never paid for a ticket in their life. This is slowly changing and will continue to change as the club moves away from an era where a leagues club propped up any losses made during the year. We now have a business model that has to break even in order to survive. Souths members have a great mentality because they know what it feels like to completely lose their team and now realise their financial support keeps their team afloat.

As for the ticket deals, when we look at a ticketing promotion, the very first thing we make sure to consider is that we are not undercutting the average per game price of a membership. There is absolutely no doubt that it is more economical to purchase a membership compared to buying tickets game by game.

We not only have the cheapest junior membership in the NRL, we also have one of the best per game average price for our season memberships. This is something we are proud of considering we have such a limited capacity at Brookvale Oval.

MWSE Membership said:
The Who said:

I think you have a valid point on the free ticket situation, there are a lot of people who say they are huge Sea Eagles fans but have never paid for a ticket in their life. This is slowly changing and will continue to change as the club moves away from an era where a leagues club propped up any losses made during the year. We now have a business model that has to break even in order to survive. Souths members have a great mentality because they know what it feels like to completely lose their team and now realise their financial support keeps their team afloat.

As for the ticket deals, when we look at a ticketing promotion, the very first thing we make sure to consider is that we are not undercutting the average per game price of a membership. There is absolutely no doubt that it is more economical to purchase a membership compared to buying tickets game by game.

We not only have the cheapest junior membership in the NRL, we also have one of the best per game average price for our season memberships. This is something we are proud of considering we have such a limited capacity at Brookvale Oval.

Your feedback is much appreciated. Keep it up.

[/quote]

I think you have a valid point on the free ticket situation, there are a lot of people who say they are huge Sea Eagles fans but have never paid for a ticket in their life.

[/quote]

like our Number 1 ticket holder i bet

Souths members have a great mentality because they know what it feels like to completely lose their team and now realise their financial support keeps their team afloat.

We dodged a massive bullet with the Northern Eagles disaster yet that hasn't translated to a significant membership increase. Personally, the return of Manly in their own right to the NRL was the catalyst for me signing up for MWSE membership AND Football Club membership. I never wanted to run the risk of not having a team to support ever again, so felt like it was my duty to contribute in a tangible way to the financial viability of the club.

I think the best people placed to answer the question of non membership are those here who AREN'T members. No point those of us who are members proffering theories, we are already converts. If you aren't a member, why don't you see value in it ? By the way this isn't a dig at those who aren't paid up members, just a genuine question that may offer MWSE some insight to help improve the situation.

Mals said:
That's true @"bob dylan" but Frogz is talking about converting 15% of the 145,000+ Manly Facebook fans (likes) to become members.

You are right @Mals but surely most of those Souths members don't actually go for Souths, I mean could there be that many people with such bad taste.

I guess when you think about how stupid the Average man in the street is, then it's a fact half the population is more stupid than that example it starts to make sense.

I will out myself as a non member

These days I just do not get to the games enough to justify it. As much as I would like to make a charitable donation to the club, I just do not see the value

An example of what the club could do (and might but I am unaware) is make the non attending member benefits more tangible I.e exclusive content etc

Doesn't the Country Wings get exlusive Membership Hats :huh:

Someone is burning Middle Head down now, so we may have less members next year :s

lsz said:

These days I just do not get to the games enough to justify it. As much as I would like to make a charitable donation to the club, I just do not see the value

An example of what the club could do (and might but I am unaware) is make the non attending member benefits more tangible I.e exclusive content etc

the value is having a team to support, and they do offer merch packs and what not, but I totally understand that some people can't afford it, and that doesn't make them any less a supporter.

Snake I buy any merch from the club shop but as someone who can not get to games (the key selling point as far as I can tell) means membership does not add up for me

lsz said:

Will we get a confession from Darren ;)

@Darren

bob dylan said:
Mals said:

You are right @Mals but surely most of those Souths members don't actually go for Souths, I mean could there be that many people with such bad taste.

I guess when you think about how stupid the Average man in the street is, then it's a fact half the population is more stupid than that example it starts to make sense.

Last year on the day of the Grand Final qualifier against Souths, I caught the public transport bus from Sylvania, I hopped on the bus in my Manly gear, and the bus was full and I was the only Manly supporter on it, OK, I live on the opposite side to Manly but I still thought there may be a Manly supporter or two on the bus.
Souths have fashioned themselves as the peoples team and everyone seems intent on trying to relive this so called fairytale of theirs, so thier supporters are crawling out of the woodwork, personally, I can't stand the f@#kers

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6