1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matchday superstitions

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Matabele, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

+466 / 6
    Today is going to be awful, particularly knowing that by 9.30 we will be in either abject misery or in huge anticipation of our first GF in a decade. And there's seemingly nothing that can be done but to sit out the day and wait ..............

But what superstitions do you have to help get the side over the line. i like to believe that my little rituals and watching the game live are all a small contribution to a positive aura of energy that might be the difference between a win and a loss.

Our entire family are compulsorarilly dressed in their Manly garb today.
    Blue and silver are banned colours.
    No tropical fruits will be eaten.
    The Manly chant will go up at regular intervals.
    I will not speak to any of my Townsville based family.

Any others I can add to the list?
  2. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

+971 / 7
    In my case it has been ensuring that the neighbours who don't follow Manly (and one is next door) are aware that Thurston's face is going to be used as a plow.
    Drape scarves, beanies, caps around prominent pieces of furniture.
    Hang the flag over the balcony or porch.
    Set up the maroon and white lights under the eaves.
    Watch warrior style movies beforehand to keep the hype at a suitable level.
    Pin Thurston's face to the dartboard.
    Line the pet litter with the Cowgirls team photo.
    Break open the tin of MW fudge.
  3. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

+466 / 6
    I'm contemplating running up the Manly flag on the school flagpole just down the road.
  4. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+531 / 8
    I have nothing I must do but rather something I mustn't do.

Neither myself or my dad are allowed to buy "Big League", it seems to guarentee a Manly loss. Unfortunately I've had to go without matchday programmes for most of my life.
    I wish they'd put the team listings in Sea Eagle News.
  5. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

+37 / 0
    Well I have been banned from yelling out "CAAAAARN MANLY!!" anymore in my household until three hours before the game starts. Probably a good thing too because I am already losing my voice and it isn't even midday yet.
  6. nodd

nodd Well-Known Member

hiding from the kids
    +105 / 5
    I must go to the club dressed in all my Manly gear(thinking of wearing the slippers today).
    Let everyone know how Manly are going to beat the Cows. :blah:
    Lose all my money at the TAB. :cry:
    Drink too much. :drunk:
    Go to my Brother's place and sit next to my Cowboy supporting Nephew. :evil: :doh:
    Cheer on the boys to a good win. :clap:
    Drink way too much. :drunk:
    Bag my Nephew. :twisted:
    Go home and start packing for my trip to Sydney to watch Manly win their first GF in over a decade. :yeah:
  7. mj

mj New Member

+0 / 0
    The next 8 hours are going to be torture and the only way to handle it is with copious amounts of alcohol. Pretty much completely decked out in Manly gear now. The pub I'm about to head to is a known Manly supporter joint so it will be rocking all afternoon hopefully

COME ON BOYS! :clap:
  8. ants

ants Active Member

+12 / 1
    For some reason when I wear any sort of Manly clothing the boys seem to come up empty handed :cry: very frustrating, but anything to get the guys over the line is a priority!

This year is also the first time in five years that I haven't put a single bet on Manly. As tempting as it is this is one superstition that has come up trumps so far!

GO YOU GOOD THINGS! !pray:
  9. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    +5,435 / 74
    I broke my superstition and shaved today! I thought "why not"

Though it won me soccer this year I dont think Manly;s luck rides on my facial hair
  10. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

+3,442 / 125
    i turn up to watch the games live

the fluffy fact although not in 2005 100% proportions is still only 2 loses this year

same as last

and it worked

fark im good