Matai is a judiciary target, says Cherry-Evans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Date April 30, 2013

Teammate Daly Cherry-Evans believes Manly centre Steve Matai is facing suspension because of his history and fearsome reputation.

Matai was charged with a grade one careless high tackle on South Sydney's George Burgess in Friday night's loss at Brookvale Oval.

The hit, in which Matai's arm appeared to slip up off the ball toward Burgess' head, sparked an all-in melee.

Coach Geoff Toovey was seemingly at a loss on Tuesday morning how to approach the Matai charge - arguing the system was geared against success at the judiciary.

Advertisement

And Matai's teammates made their feelings known on the tackle itself, rallying behind the hard-hitting former New Zealand international.

"Are you allowed to swear? That was f*cking awesome man," winger Jorge Taufua said of the hit.

"I love playing outside that guy. When he pulls it off, I just lose it.

"I loved it."

Halfback Cherry-Evans was less colourful, but just as clear when asked about the tackle, claiming Matai was paying a price for previous sins.

"I thought it was a cracker of a hit," Cherry-Evans said.

"...(I am) very surprised that he's been charged.

"We see those sort of tackles week after week and no one else seems to cop any grunt from it.

"It's just because, unfortunately, Steve's built up a bit of a resume when it comes to the judiciary.

"That one, I thought was pretty fair and he should be right to play hopefully."

The Sea Eagles had until midday on Tuesday to decide whether to fight Matai's charge, as well as two charges against prop Richie Fa'aoso for dangerous throws on Greg Inglis.

Toovey was adamant he had yet to make a decision and seemed torn.

The Manly coach said he had not spoken to referee's boss Daniel Anderson about the fallout from Friday's spiteful clash at Brookvale Oval, but did speak to former referee Russell Smith, who reviewed the game, and got nowhere.

"As I said, it's just a waste of time. Why bother," Toovey said.

According to Toovey, fighting Matai's low grade charge was nearly impossible as the burden of proof was on the Sea Eagles to prove there was no contact with the head or neck, leaving them at the mercy of what the various camera angles can pick up.

"We've looked at it 1000 times with different angles (and) you can't positively say he did or he didn't (make contact with the head)," Toovey said.

"The bloke who he tackles (Burgess) jumps up and gets into the barney just after it so... come on, please.

"...And unfortunately you've got to prove your innocence.

"How can you do that when the camera angles aren't there? They'll just speculate that you did hit him."

With an early guilty plea, Matai would miss Monday's clash with St George Illawarra while Fa'aoso faces between eight and 10 matches out for his combined charges.

AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/matai-is-a-judiciary-target-says-cherryevans-20130430-2ipx1.html#ixzz2Rvc9YrHw

"Are you allowed to swear? That was f*cking awesome man," winger Jorge Taufua said of the hit.

"I loved it."

LOL. Good stuff, I feel the same watching Stevie from the sidelines.

The bloke who he tackles (Burgess) jumps up and gets into the barney just after it so... come on, please.

"...And unfortunately you've got to prove your innocence.

The NRL has got this arse about. Guilty until proven innocent may suit the judiciary but it does'nt make it right.

Although this last one was a great hit, he has a history of hitting people in the head.

You can't run without a head apparently

No charge Burgess?????...But if Matai had run in, after say Lyon got hit, throwing punches..Mattai 6 weeks....

If this is to be the standard of what is a head high tackle, we should expect at least 20 charges every round.

It was a super hit by Matai, it will make Burgess think twice next time and his brother could easily have been charged for enciting the ensuing brawl.

Really disappointed that we didn't challenge it but I'm sure the club consulted with Steve and everybody decided to let it go.

The judiciary are probably relieved we didn't take up the challenge as we could have embarrassed them with our defence.

George Burgess will forever be a soft knob in my eyes. Without his lame act it's likely Matai would not have been punished.

Honestly, if Matai hits someone else in the head and goes for six or eight weeks his future will be limited, with any club.

He can put some really good hits on without going above the boobies.

What about the grapple tackle from Sam Burgess on Steve Matai? There is a pic getting around on Facebook of it. Funny how that was conveniently missed by the match review committee.

The way things have been since the kickoff of the Souths game until now, most of the code outside of Manly can be called “you're a good sort”. Destroying the game. Wimps all.

sheridanstand78 said:
If this is to be the standard of what is a head high tackle, we should expect at least 20 charges every round.

It was a super hit by Matai, it will make Burgess think twice next time and his brother could easily have been charged for enciting the ensuing brawl.

Agreed.....there are a hell of a lot worse high shots every week that get let go.

Great hit ruined by the idiots in pink. Checcin likes the colour though :p

Given the choice, would not swap Matai for any other player in the game - who else throws his body on the line week in week out with such passion? Scavenger cats like slater or inglis? - i think not - just after the $$$? Matai constantly takes pay cuts to stay with Manly even though he could earn twice as much elsewhere. He also deserves our loyalty - good or bad - he does what he does for Manly. WE LOVE YOU STEVVI NEVER CHANGE!!

Chip and Chase said:

"I loved it."

LOL. Good stuff, I feel the same watching Stevie from the sidelines.
Brilliant candour from our young winger. On the replay of the Matai tackle he can actually be seen in the background, it looks like he's saying 'Wow!' or something.

It's actually occurred to me the nrl violated its own safety rules in regards to head injuries by allowing George Burgess to play on.
For him to stay down on the ground that long must've meant he had a pretty bad head knock (rules are rules).
So it would also mean he wouldn't be able to play this weekend.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6