Manly's equivalent in AFL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EagleHaus

Just a random thought that came to me today , who do you think is the equivalent of Manly in AFL? In fact which other teams remind us of NRL teams when it comes to culture, likes, dislikes, success, lack of success and any other similarities etc?

IMO I think Collingwood is similar to Manly - everyone hates them but they always seem to be hanging at the top.

GC and GWS remind me of early versions of Canberra and Illawarra, for obvious reasons.

Swans are like Storm, always tough to beat.

Bulldogs are just Bulldogs, bunch of grubs.

EagleHaus said:
Just a random thought that came to me today , who do you think is the equivalent of Manly in AFL? In fact which other teams remind us of NRL teams when it comes to culture, likes, dislikes, success, lack of success and any other similarities etc?

IMO I think Collingwood is similar to Manly - everyone hates them but they always seem to be hanging at the top.

GC and GWS remind me of early versions of Canberra and Illawarra, for obvious reasons.

Swans are like scum, always tough to beat.

Bulldogs are just Bulldogs, bunch of grubs.

Fixed

I think not.
The pies are the classless, toothless bogan masses.
We are the complete opposite of them.
For a comparison to them to come from a Manly fan is just embarrassing.

Why not Hawthorne? Smaller fan base, more "well to do" image and high rate of on field success over the past 30 - 40 years.

Comparisons of this sort are always near impossible to make. If you're looking for a team to support, just go with the vibe.

Geelong ,ageing roster,get written off early and continue to play tough and compete at the pointy end year in year out.

Norths Bears are Fitzroy if that helps.

We are a winning team, hated by most and with a small fan base. Even though Geelong are similar in location, outside the city, they have an amazing fan base and get huge support from their local area. I have a friend who lives there and that's all they talk about. Very different socio location as well, Geelong/Manly. Remember when Ablett was there. You couldn't get a ticket for love or money. Maybe we are Hawthorn.

I wouldn't want to be compared to collingwood. Their fan base is like souths. 1 or 2 high profile supporters who have jobs, the rest have no job, no teeth and a IQ less than their favourite players' jersey number.

Darren said:
Norths Bears are Fitzroy if that helps.

We are a winning team, hated by most and with a small fan base. Even though Geelong are similar in location, outside the city, they have an amazing fan base and get huge support from their local area. I have a friend who lives there and that's all they talk about. Very different socio location as well, Geelong/Manly. Remember when Ablett was there. You couldn't get a ticket for love or money. Maybe we are Hawthorn.

Fitzroy are like Illawarra merged in what has become a take over.

EagleHaus said:

Mate, Collingwood have won two comps in 54 years - how can you compare us to them? Besides the general dislike there's no comparison and that dislike comes for very different reasons. A room full of Pies supporters would have trouble finding the door. Manly are the thinking person's footy team.

I think the Hawks comparison is closest and I've been surprised at the level of dislike towards them from other team's supporters. But how can your team colours be mustard and poo brown!!

Fan base aside even some of the sentiment here towards the pies reminds me of what ppl say about us, they may have supporters like souffs but def not them as a team culture. We are not Hwthorne or Geelong - they dont have a Manly vibe

Heres a good one St Kilda and St George - both renowned chokers

Hawthorn are the more likely comparsion, Collingwood also have the biggest fan base in AFL and ours is not by a long shot in NRL. We definitely leave them in the dust by a long way for premierships as mentioned in last 40 years or so, not even close. They have lost a lot of GF's in that time though so they're not a bottom of the table team all the time either

1 crucial difference off the field. Collingwood is the richest club in the AFL, and best resourced. We're possibly the poorest club in the NRL, and definitely the worst resourced.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8