Manly's BEST signings in years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Yes it's only 1 game,but both were outstanding on Sunday !!
Brown changed the momentum of the game and was the ultimate impact player and seen none of the rubbish from his Eels games tat led to 300 penalties, just hard hitting contact and some great passes to set up his edge.
Brooksy was Super and did not overplay his hand and really, deserved 2 tries in his first game.
Best part is there is so much improvement.
Manly have made some great signing's since last year when you throw in Lodge who is back soon.

Agree, I was a bit 50/50 on brooks, but its the exact change he needed, he adds exactly what we need.
Brown again I was pretty unsure of give his parra days and general over the top mongrel. However after watching yesterday, that mongrel is what we have missed in the middle

Not to put a dampener on things, but… Oh, F**k it - I'm going to put a dampener on things. It was great, but it was one game. One. Let's not go getting ahead of ourselves.
Agreed @Ron E. Gibbs But this win sets us up well for a crunch game against the Roosters at home. (Which I think we will win as well). If we do, I predict we will be four wins up by the time we get to the Panthers at home. I plan on getting ahead of myself after round four. @:cool:

Last edited:
Not to put a dampener on things, but… Oh, F**k it - I'm going to put a dampener on things. It was great, but it was one game. One. Let's not go getting ahead of ourselves.
A great feeling for all Manly supporters, but jeez ST can get carried away! May I kindly remind all to go back and re-read threads this time last year. People were speaking of premiership dynasties lol. The fact is we were still very vulnerable through the middle for the majority of the game, and a couple of injuries could literally sink us that's how fragile our depth is.

A great game, great result for Manly. "Best signings in years" is a little early to call imo

100%

I'm quick to jump in when people overreact to a loss so need to do the same thing here.

Promising display but a long season ahead.

Yes it's only 1 game,but both were outstanding on Sunday !!
Brown changed the momentum of the game and was the ultimate impact player and seen none of the rubbish from his Eels games tat led to 300 penalties, just hard hitting contact and some great passes to set up his edge.
Brooksy was Super and did not overplay his hand and really, deserved 2 tries in his first game.
Best part is there is so much improvement.
Manly have made some great signing's since last year when you throw in Lodge who is back soon.
I thought Corey Wadell was solid in attack and defence too

I thought Corey Wadell was solid in attack and defence too
Fair call mate
I understand also those who make the true point it's just 1 game
My point is in that 1 game there was more to be excited about than any signings in recent seasons after that 1st game and I think there was a real feel that this is the beginning of something pretty special
based on what they bought to the team

It’s early doors but a positive start for all the new signings, felt Paulo didn’t get the rub today and needs to come inside more when we have the ball. You’re more exposed to scrutiny on the wing as there is no place to hide so worth another look. Brooks & Brown were good and CW played his part too.The overall physical conditioning of the team was the big positive for me, had the bunnies huffing and puffin! Fitness is key.Go Manly

Assuming Manly do go well this season, it will
be interesting to see how long it takes for the media to pick up on that. They’re often about 4-6 rounds (perhaps a I am being charitable) behind the play when it comes to emerging trends.

Lot of people down on Paulo judging by the post-game thread, but I thought he went fine. Nearly all their bombs went to him and he didn't drop any, didn't lose the ball in yardage runs (Saab and Garrick did). He missed his opposite for the try but that was the only error I noticed. He's obviously not quite the finished product, if he was he'd still be at Souths or Chooks, but he showed in the trials he has some footy in him.
Either way I agree overall it's Manly's best recruitment in years, good times!

Lot of people down on Paulo judging by the post-game thread, but I thought he went fine. Nearly all their bombs went to him and he didn't drop any, didn't lose the ball in yardage runs (Saab and Garrick did). He missed his opposite for the try but that was the only error I noticed. He's obviously not quite the finished product, if he was he'd still be at Souths or Chooks, but he showed in the trials he has some footy in him.
I’m a fan of Paulo and hope we stick with him but he did look flat. He can carry the ball hard but struggled to make any dent on the line. Stats show he made 13 runs for only 94 metres, 44 of which were kick return metres. That speaks to his lack of punch with the ball in hand. Then you’ve got the soft tackle of a pretty small winger in Gagai and that’s why people are a bit up in arms.

I’ve watched him closely and he can be an absolute beast out of yardage so I’m not hanging him on one performance. He’ll come good.

Big help when Foz returned as the 6 and Brooks has a good range of skills as well and some real zip in attack so has to rate so far as a top shelf addition . A bit of different playing style to Foz but every prospect to help make the backline function real well and with his speed factor a big plus
Brown solid , constructive and disciplined on the weekend "s effort so has to be right up there as well Looks like the reliable and hard working Waddell of old back in the fold .
Wonder just how fast Paulo is , sure that he is no slouch , should have things in his favor to show more and prove his worth as a beneficial signing .
Talau to offer some also hopefully quality depth

Paulo wasn’t as impactful as I hoped, however, apart form missing one tackle, he was safe under the high ball didn’t get rolled into touch and had limited opportunities in space to show his speed.

It’s one game and I think he’ll hold his spot.

Not down on him but a tad disappointed I count him not running onto the really, very good pass from Brookes as a wingers mistake - despite the mighty Braith's lame call.

Paulo did take the ball well and actually stood up well from a few big contacts, but his carries lacked venom, apart from some open field running where you could see his athletic ability and was hald dangerous.....that "missed tackle" was really hard to swallow though,as the ball carrier actually had the ball in the wrong arm as a winger, so could not fend or brush away at all and was completely exposed to be tackled into the grandstand, yet bounced out of a shocking attempt.
Will 100% retain his spot next game and will be tested by some quality outside backs at the Roosters, Paulo has some ability, but really needs to inprove the physical components of his game, especially defensively.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8