Post-Game Discussion Manly v Sharks [Round 11, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Sharks
14 4 Pines Park
14 May 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Lost the ruck battle. No sense of urgency in attack or defence. Slow playing the ball and Can’t stop the Sharks paying theirs quick. To their credit , improved the last 20mins but too little too late. Last tackle attacking kicks keep being a problem. johns is not a first grader, Crocker has no attacking ability. Our passing is not crisp enough. Only positives this season are Paseka and Garricks conversions.

Back from Brookie and it's taken a few hours to calm down. In one word I'd describe the game as frustrating. Being on the right side of a 12-4 penalty count helped our come back, the game was there for the taking but we just weren't good enough. It was heartening to see the fightback in the 2nd half but if we'd played like that in the beginning, we wouldn't have needed to fight back.

Having said that, I can't believe all the negativity here - it wasn't as though we were flogged by 40 (like the Roosters) or even 20 (like the Dragons/Tigers) - we were only beaten by 6 points! Hopefully Jake and Schu return next week so we'll have a chance of turning things around.

On a happy note, a highlight for me at Brookie today were the Golden Eagles who came around the park, some of them bringing back fond memories of seeing them play at Brookie over the years. (One brought a tear to my eye as I recalled watching him when I first started supporting Manly many years ago.)

Lowlight of the game was me yelling at the TV when Nikora went flying past our winger, who looked slow as a wet week as two other Sharks also easily outpaced him. "Golly gosh, Reuben!" I yelled. "You're faster than that!" Turned out Reuben is indeed faster than that and it was Turboless Tom out there. Burbo is now officially the fastest Trbojevic. Or maybe Jake. Definitely not Tom.
Nearly the same. Except there was no "Golly gosh Reuben", it was straight up "WTF Tommy! (As hard as it is for us supporters to watch, can you imagine how fkn shattered Tommy must be.)

A pretty dogged and fighting loss that I did not feel we were disgraced by. But that is how you end up with a disappointing season.

The biggest problem was that except for the last 15 where we had a couple of penalty leg-ups we never looked like winning, and indeed very seldom looked even like cracking their defensive line.
Unfortunately, that is it in a nutshell CJ.:eek:

Also Seib's needs to wear a bit of Manly gear, he looks like he's had a stint in the local Libary
Bloody hell. Now I’m going to have to watch the presser. I need to see what someone looks like who’s had a stint in the local library @:D

Lol Tom can’t chase anything. His aerobic fitness is shot. You can see it on the field. He’s blowing deluxe in the in goal. Couldn’t keep up with a backrower and what’s he in the wing anyway?
And that’s just the physical side.

I'm officially sick of this rubbish.

The games, not this thread.

I was about to add that if dce isn't getting caught with the ball on the 5th, he's kicking on the 4th, denying us one extra play per 6, and not finding touch is a super duper bonus as is always trying to go for a 40/20 and putting up a ridiculously long bomb on the very last play so Manly don't even have a chance.

But I see everyone is giving him 3 points in the mvp thread, so I wont.

I was about to add that if dce isn't getting caught with the ball on the 5th, he's kicking on the 4th, denying us one extra play per 6, and not finding touch is a super duper bonus as is always trying to go for a 40/20 and putting up a ridiculously long bomb on the very last play so Manly don't even have a chance.

The long bombs are an nfl style strategy to allow the chasers to get down and be on the returner when they catch the ball.

Only the penalty count gave us field position...except once
There were occasions where Cronulla shifted the ball to Ramien or Tracey and made half breaks which helped them get up the field.

We barely shifted the ball in yardage throughout the entire game. It’s like we were banging our heads up against a brick wall through the middle. Without those penalties it would have been even more dire.

A poor yardage set can be rescued with a kick on the 4th because there is more space to kick into with the wingers still up in the line. He does it when we are inside 40m on the 4th. It’s probably better than kicking from 45m out off a slow ruck on the 5th with three players back ready to take the kick.

First half was like watching the years of Qld dominate NSW in SOO where the QLD defence always moved up fast, and the NSW defence always moved up slow.

We we were gifting them 15-20m every tackle, letting their play makers do what ever they liked.

While we were continually trapped in our own half unless we fluked a penalty.

Then every hit up was a solo effort with no supporting runners and no attempts at offloads.

Painful to watch until Paseka and Burbo came on.

A poor yardage set can be rescued with a kick on the 4th because there is more space to kick into with the wingers still up in the line. He does it when we are inside 40m on the 4th. It’s probably better than kicking from 45m out off a slow ruck on the 5th with three players back ready to take the kick.
its a great tactic as long as the team knows, he seems to kick if its convenient for him and not as a signalled intention. i think him committing to it on 3rd is the issue
never on the same page in our kick game overall. when DCE does what DCE does the team seem to just kind of let him go.

bart simpson simpsons GIF

There were occasions where Cronulla shifted the ball to Ramien or Tracey and made half breaks which helped them get up the field.

We barely shifted the ball in yardage throughout the entire game. It’s like we were banging our heads up against a brick wall through the middle. Without those penalties it would have been even more dire.
Strange thing was that we shifted it well against the Broncos and stripped them continuously when we held the ball

Can understand in a way not spreading it to the left when Parker catches the ball like an amputee

• Sea Eagles v Sharks: 4 - Briton Nikora, 3 - Nicholas Hynes, 2 - Jessie Ramien, 2 - Daly Cherry-Evans, 1 - William Kennedy

its a great tactic as long as the team knows, he seems to kick if its convenient for him and not as a signalled intention. i think him committing to it on 3rd is the issue
never on the same page in our kick game overall. when DCE does what DCE does the team seem to just kind of let him go.
I don’t think a yardage kick needs to be telegraphed. The other 12 players see the ball sail 50m down field and all they need to do is run in the direction the ball has been kicked. The lack of effort from everyone is the problem.

Confidence. Not there at the moment. Could be losing top players at the wrong time. Turbo will come back. Schuster hopefully will get his mojo. Jake will tighten the ruck. Hopefully Chan will come on and be given good game time. Give Weekes some more game time. I'm worried Seibs is doing a Hasler and not taking risks. I'm also concerned their defensive coaching is quite problematic. Give Samuela Fainu a shot. Young players bring enthusiasm, older players wisdom. Got to get the right mix. In the backline I'd have Turbo, Garrrick, Koula, Weekes (or Burbo who must be in the team so there of back row), Saab, Schuster, DCE. I may interchange Turbo and Weekes. Potentially based on talent, that would be easily a top 8 backline

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8