Manly v Rabbits Vegas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I realise we're still a bit out from the big Vegas 1st round but with the tour group pretty much on the plane, I was keen to start discussing views on the possible 17, how confident we are of winning and what wisdom we should be passing on to Seibs for this game .......... and the rest of the season.

I'm happy to kick it off with this proposed team and my concerns. My concerns are:

Sips new suspension leaves us very thin for props (no pun intended). Paseka has been ok in the 2 hit outs but Aloiai's lack of game time is a real worry. They will probably be the starting props with Jake and Bulle being the rotation options.

The spare wing spot appears to be Paulo/ Talau or Ray. Unless Talau is moved to centres and Rubes stays on the wing - at least for this game.

I can't help but think no matter how well Shu goes on the weekend, he won't make the 17. And I'm still a Shu supporter (does that make me a heel or someone with soul??).

Souths looked pretty good in the forwards albeit against the Dragons. But they certainly look fitter and more focussed than they did for the back half of last year. The forwards battle is our biggest concern. I'm not convinced we have the pack to match it in the first game but I certainly hope I'm wrong coz it will be extra painful sitting in Vegas surrounded by screaming Rabbit supporters.

Anyway, my expected (not necessarily the team I like) is:

1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Rubes*
4. Koula
5. Paulo/Talau/Ray*
6. Brooks
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9.Crokes
10. Aloaia
11. Guac
12. Burbo
13. Jake

14. Lawton (I know this will probably get shouted down but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Seibs goes with experience for this game and not the 2 young blokes). Lawton looks fit and is a reliable defender that will be very important)
15. Bullemor
16. Brown (to come on at lock when a prop gets a rest and Jake to move up front)
17 Waddell (If Shu doesn't make the team, then again, I think Seibs will go with someone he believes is a solid performer)
Over to you. :)

I think your 17 will be pretty close to mark. I tend to think Paulo is a lock for a wing spot. I also highly doubt Seibs will throw Humphies a debut in such an unfamiliar place as Vegas. For that reason, I agree with the Lawton assertion.

As far as concerns go, I am more worried about what Souths have, than what we lack. We've only beaten them twice in official NRL games in the last 7 seasons. Guys like Latrell and Walker feed off high energy and the 'occasion'. I also think Cam Murray is the single more effective forward in the NRL. No one has a better play the ball and he digs so deep into the line, which unlocks Walker and the rest of their attacking strengths. I am struggling to remember the last time we handled a big occasion (with the exception of our win against the Eels when Bozo passed).

So yeah, I think we will grow into the season and be effective, but I am struggling to find reasons why we will outgun a much fancier opponent to open the season.

I think the theme of playing it a bit safe that is in your thread will be proven correct.

For that reason, Lawton is a big chance to be on the bench as you say. And it means Vaega won't play either. Paulo seems to have the inside running for that wing spot.

Your side should be pretty close to the mark.

Schuster definitely not going so count him out of any side.

Yes I think the coach will go with Lawton , just because he’s experienced.

South’s are one of the sides to beat this year , I’ll be surprised if we win but they’ll definitely have a crack.

Without Lodge, Sipley & Schuster, we are down on size & experience in the forwards for this game. As others have mentioned, I would expect there will be little experimentation in selections. With a a likely middles rotation of Paseka, Aloiai, Jake, Bullemor & Brown, I agree that Lawton has a good chance of being selected as an edge forward on the bench.

Last edited:
These early games are a bit of a lottery. Almost like reputations are out the window a bit. Tge Sipley suspension hurts though and man I was furious he and Paseka were still on at that point.

I think we can get the win and our backline looks pretty solid. I’d have Reubs in the wing and Talau first crack at centre. I think Lawton also gets the start in 14.

These early games are a bit of a lottery. Almost like reputations are out the window a bit. Tge Sipley suspension hurts though and man I was furious he and Paseka were still on at that point.

I think we can get the win and our backline looks pretty solid. I’d have Reubs in the wing and Talau first crack at centre. I think Lawton also gets the start in 14.
I agree that our backline should be able to match the Rabbits but they definitely have more go forward than we do in this match. Cook and Murray worry me off the back of that.

And yep, what the heck were they still doing on??!!

I expect now that Sipley is out that Jake will be in the front row rotation and Brown at lock. On pre season effort and trial form Brown has earned and if he plays well he is likely to keep it. Burbo in for Schuster is fine now that Burbo is dominating his opponents in defence and he runs good lines. We have the talent we just need to play smart footy and we will win.

Souths are fairly narrow favourites. Early season games are often decided by the side that makes the least errors, so expect a simple low-risk game plan.
Both will have a few players missing but Souths have more big-game experience, but I still think it is almost 50/50. They only got us in golden point when we played early last year.
Keppie looks a good buy for Souths, he needed a change.

yeah, couldn't understand Seib's tactics, having Sipley and Paseka doing overtime when the game was clearly lost. Anyway, back to Vegas, defensively we should be ok with Croker and Jake working in tandem together to stop any Sths momentum down the middle. Our forwards only have to hold their own for our backs to create the attacking plays that surely will come for us to comfortably win this game.

Souths are fairly narrow favourites. Early season games are often decided by the side that makes the least errors, so expect a simple low-risk game plan.
Both will have a few players missing but Souths have more big-game experience, but I still think it is almost 50/50. They only got us in golden point when we played early last year.
Keppie looks a good buy for Souths, he needed a change.
Good perspective post feathered friend
My take is this ..
Both coaches are under pressure for missing the finals last season
They both want to start the season with a strong psychological win to start the season on a high and a psychological edge

Seibs was quoted saying " why play key players in trials as they have nothing to prove "
The key to key players playing game time is to get their rhythm and mojo in place as this helps to eliminate real game time errors
You can say doing this may be a risk but they say Risks are for the Brave !

On the psychological mind battle field we do not look at which players we have unavailable
We look up to the players we have Capable of doing the Job and we have plenty of them
Keppie played well in the trials and I would have our defence move up on him quickly and put pressure on him as he can be prone to errors .
A few errors and Keppies confidence is shot and back in his Burrow he goes
1708384965194.png

Really would not start with Aloiai, just on the match fitness factor .
Ideally good minutes with Jake and Tent as starting props [ well of course essentially really in jake "s case ] Bully and Aloiai in the prop rotation , Confident that Brown will be able to more then manage a 13 role for big minutes .
Would go with Parker and Lawman on the bench in addition although sure that Gordie and Humphries are still in the mix to some extent .
Backline probably as expected .
If the Manly forward line up can show as much resolve as the starting group against the solid Roosters pack last weekend , must be in with some sort of a decent chance .
Plenty of strike power in the backs

Really would not start with Aloiai, just on the match fitness factor .
Ideally good minutes with Jake and Tent as starting props [ well of course essentially really in jake "s case ] Bully and Aloiai in the prop rotation , Confident that Brown will be able to more then manage a 13 role for big minutes .
Would go with Parker and Lawman on the bench in addition although sure that Gordie and Humphries are still in the mix to some extent .
Backline probably as expected .
If the Manly forward line up can show as much resolve as the starting group against the solid Roosters pack last weekend , must be in with some sort of a decent chance .
Plenty of strike power in the backs
I agree with most of this Al, particularly Jake and Tent starting props and Brown at lock.

However, I think the bench for this game is still quite contentious (and was thinking of starting a thread on this but @Seagles68 has basically done it for me). For mine, it would be Lawton, Bully, Aloiai but the 17 is up for grabs. Possibly Parker but I also like Arthur and then there's Gordie, Humphries, Waddell who could all add something. The final team will be very interesting.

I agree with most of this Al, particularly Jake and Tent starting props and Brown at lock.

However, I think the bench for this game is still quite contentious (and was thinking of starting a thread on this but @Seagles68 has basically done it for me). For mine, it would be Lawton, Bully, Aloiai but the 17 is up for grabs. Possibly Parker but I also like Arthur and then there's Gordie, Humphries, Waddell who could all add something. The final team will be very interesting.
You'd think for such a game Seibold will go with experience on the bench, so I agree Lawton looks likely for 14.
For the same reason Waddell probably favoured ahead of Condon and Parker.
Lawton, Bull, Brown and Waddell is a solid enough bench.
Woods is surely not eligible (otherwise poor @BOZO will blow a gasket) @:D

Only advantage maybe having Waddell on the bench would be go to prop for Jake to revert to 13 to give Brown a rest if again maybe required
Still like the notion of Parker on the bench maybe giving Burbo a break when the game opens up a bit .
Bit to ponder on for Siebold for sure .

Just on the Rabbits, Cody Walker could be good to go and if that's the case he'll be taking a flight to LV in a couple of days. Strange they didn't take him in the first place even if it's just as a spectator...mmm ?

Just on the Rabbits, Cody Walker could be good to go and if that's the case he'll be taking a flight to LV in a couple of days. Strange they didn't take him in the first place even if it's just as a spectator...mmm ?
Yeah, the coach seemed pretty confident he'll be playing. Hopefully they'll lose his bags or something, just to throw him off. He does lose the plot pretty easily @:D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8