Post-Game Discussion Manly v Panthers [Round 5, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Panthers
32 4 Pines Park
06 Apr 2024 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Update to Post #1

Team Victory Song:

We are the Manly boys,
We had a win today,
We are the boys you know of
We showed them how to play,
No matter where we’ll be
Maroon and White you'll see,
Oh aren’t we a wonderful credit
To our locality,
So cheer boys cheer,
We are together,
Every now and then we have a win…..have a win
We will play them all around
At our home or any ground,
If they’ll always play a fair and honest game
So it’s GUZZLE GUZZLE GUZZLE
As we pour it down our muzzle,
And sing out the order loud and clear, 'MORE BEER',
And we will drink all night
Until we are very tired
In the shade of the Manly Leagues Club.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the NRL Ladder @ 9pm QLD time tonight, we didn't win the game. It was a draw.

2024 Round 5 Ladder - Saturday 06042024.jpg

First time this year we looked like we were actually intent on defending our try line. Even managed to do it for repeat sets. And everything just kinda flowed from that. Who would have thought?

So glad the boys fired up after last week's miserable effort in the Gong. Good things will definitely happen if we can hold onto the ball and stop the other team from scoring.
Could not agree more with this analysis. Let’s see the defensive fortitude every game now 👍🏻

So true but that's the first time I've really seen Penrith beaten up for a few years. We really hammered them. Just got to bring it week after week.
Agree that last week was ‘bi-polar’ when compared with this week. But to be fair I think the other 3 games we played pretty well. Certainly the Souths and the easts games. No one can say we haven’t beaten any heavy weights this year.

I don’t dislike Dylan Edwards the way I dislike Gutho, as Edwards seems like a pretty unassuming bloke without ego. But I am sick of seeing him crab around to such great effect. He is dominant each week and yet, has no real passing game, is modestly fast and built like a pretzel. Bugs me every week.
You know, when the Panthers first started to come good, I thought Dylan Edwards was the only weak spot in their team, and that they'd never win a premiership with him as their fullback. Which means he has either improved out of sight, or I am an awful judge of talent. (Both are probably true.) But man, he just gets the job done. So much determination, all effort on every play. He's so important to that team, and has willed himself into the company of Teddy, Turbo, Walsh, etc as one of the best fullbacks running around.

You know, when the Panthers first started to come good, I thought Dylan Edwards was the only weak spot in their team, and that they'd never win a premiership with him as their fullback. Which means he has either improved out of sight, or I am an awful judge of talent. (Both are probably true.) But man, he just gets the job done. So much determination, all effort on every play. He's so important to that team, and has willed himself into the company of Teddy, Turbo, Walsh, etc as one of the best fullbacks running around.
Yeah I had a similar experience watching him. I recall the semi final in 2017 at SFS. Cleary was 18 at the time and kicked us into corners all night. But Edwards kept running his outside support out of room down the right edge. He kept looking to pass and was running sideways. Then a season or two later, he had a terrible case of the dropsies and was booted from FG.

Then came the dynasty…the rest is history. Elite player now.

Ahh, finally got to sit down and watch a replay of the game. Disappointed it wasn’t played at Hong Kong Stadium, but looked a cracking day at Brookie nonetheless.

Thought Turbo had a relatively quiet game for him but did see a few good passages that will certainly help him moving forward after last week’s shemozzle.

As has been mentioned, DCE was rocks and diamonds, but thankfully, the diamonds were top shelf and more than enough to outweigh the rocks.

Overall, so happy to see some resilience through the first 15-20 minutes. I thought it might go the way we kind of expect with the panthers doing what the panthers do and just eventually pulling away from us. Great to see we didn’t let that happen.

The wingers worry me. Talau was really ordinary, while Jaxson was just not really involved. Happy to get Saab back and that will solve one side. I think Talau should be in the centres (if anywhere), and Garrick moved to the wing. With Garrick and Saab on the wings, we suddenly look top shelf out wide. It’s just that second centre spot (outside Koula) that needs to be solved.

Burbo had an outstanding comeback match after a couple of ordinary performances the last two weeks. He belongs and is certainly worth persevering with.

Of course, the forwards were outstanding and well recognised and covered by other posters here. Croker worries me a bit, and he wasn’t too great today on top of his dismal performance last week. Thankfully, Lawton lifted and covered that role well today.

There is still so much development in this team, so it’s exciting to see us finally challenging some of those better teams. The potential in how we use Koula and Haumole is huge. The talent just in those two is scary.

Well I'm happy to eat humble pie after that. Really had no confidence in us beating the Panthers, but I was so wrong.

Have to compliment the groundsmen or whoever got Brookie looking stunning after such wild weather last night. The ground looked perfect and full credit to them.

Secondly have to applaud our forwards for outplaying and out-muscling the Panthers pack, which laid the platform for our win.

I always expected the Panthers to come back - and they did but ran out of time.
Didn't think we had it won till the final whistle. I'm happy for DCE and he topped the day off nicely with a try, as well as kicking 6 goals. I'm also happy for Waddell who scored his try and played well for his 100th game.

It was a beautiful late afternoon day at Brookie, a great atmosphere and a well-deserved win!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8