Manly v Newcastle [Round 10 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So i had to go back to work to set the alarm with the scores 14-4 and i was kinda happy about it given our performance. Come back here to check the end score and all i see is "wow", "wow" so i'm thinking we ballsed up a bunch of chances again. 15-14 eh? I'm actually in shock!

A lot of we didn't deserve to win and how **** we were etc tonight

The handling was abysmal, but there are 2 sides to every game, and with a mountain of ball and field position, Newcastle were unable to score enough points to put us away, most of their tries were through a bit of arse.

If we didn't care tonight that will in defence wouldn't have been there and it was the defence that allowed us the chance to steal it at the end

Is also an old saying about defence winning competitions

We got out of gaol with that win. Ugly, very very ugly. But, 2 points is better than a loss.

Hate to say it but if we were playing almost anyone else tonight (except maybe Cronulla, Saints or Canberra), we'd have been blown off Brookie by a cricket score.

Well no team can play great every game. We played poorly but managed to win. Lots of improvement to come as well with 3 topline players that make a huge difference. It's a funny competition at the moment. We sit outright 2nd, haven't played great apart from the Raiders game, haven't been near full strength at all. I feel encouraged that we have the ability at full strength to win this but long way to go. GO MANLY !!!!!!!

Kiwi Eagle said:
A lot of we didn't deserve to win and how ... we were etc tonight

The handling was abysmal, but there are 2 sides to every game, and with a mountain of ball and field position, Newcastle were unable to score enough points to put us away, most of their tries were through a bit of arse.

If we didn't care tonight that will in defence wouldn't have been there and it was the defence that allowed us the chance to steal it at the end

Is also an old saying about defence winning competitions

Newcastle are 15th out of the 16 on the ladder. They have won 2 from 10. Hardly the benchmark in attack.

This game, the Parra and Cows games. Premiership teams manage to win games like those. Same as what the Dogs and Storm have done this year. 1 of those 3 will win it this year.

RiverEagle said:
Starling should've got MOM for that try-saver on Mamo alone.

If ever there was a turning point in a game 'twas that.

Saved our butts.

Yep, after a very poor miss by Wolfie.

I am not sure how, if you score more points than the opposition, you do not deserve to win?

You must be doing something right...either in defence or attack

We may have got out of gaol with that, but it shows the character of this Manly team that they can produce 60 minutes of absolute bile and still manage to come back and win.

Not overly happy with what I saw (and I don't think Tooves would have been all that impressed either), but damn I'm happy to get away with a win.

On another note, congratulations to DCE for being named on the bench for Qld.

Would've been game over if they scored then.

Incredible effort by a prop, deep in a game, to round up a winger!
And Mamo is a speedster.

Great field goal by Sid too.

the mauler said:
Cant wait for TC to bag DCE's composure again... Lol

Sorry, but I agree with TC. Certainly, Cherry has moments of brilliance and pulled one out at the death tonight... However, with more maturity and composure he should have set up a much easier opportunity two sets before. Instead, there was little to no direction to his forwards, found himself way too shallow on the last tackle under pressure, and went for an improvised play.

I think he still needs to develop his understanding of timing... know when it's time to go for the creative spontaneous stuff, and know when to play it safe. We get caught up in the flashy play that comes off, but don't forget the lack of organisation and control for much of the remainder of the game. As much as I hate to say it, this is why I think Cronk is still slightly ahead of him overall. He'll get there though, and when he does he is going to be something even more amazing than what he's already showing. Just needing some of that consistency and control.

I don't think DCE is still 100%. He was in everything tonight especially the defensive work. He'll do me anytime. Foz and DCE is the combo that other clubs wished they had.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8