Manly Priming at the right time for Finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not sure others opinions, but I feel this Manly juggernaut is warming up at the right time.
You get the St Illawarra types who come out the blocks first 5 - 6 games, then fade to bottom 4 by seasons end, but Manly have steadily built and may seem a stretch, but I reckon this Manly side has more improvement left at full strength than any other side in the competition.....
The hiccup games vs Newcastle and Canberra were a combination of being flat, ordinary officials and sprinkled with key players out and things simply not alligned in the performances...but history will show, Every Premiership winning side experiences these moments....truth be known, the early season games were worse, it's just the bar was set far higher after some Massive wins and Amazing form that made them hard to cop...
Moving forward there seems to be something Special building and though previously I thought we were a 2022/2023 premiership winning proposition, based on what I'm seeing across the NRL, there is only Storm and maybe Panthers who are still the teams to beat, but I would argue Manly at it's best is as good as any side....it's simply can they do this consistently over a few finals games ?
The team is clearly loving their footy and competition for spots in the 17 is only going to heat up more, which will only turn the intensity switch up......is this side timing the run perfectly for Finals....I have a vibe Des has them fine tuned almost like that racehorse a couple months away from the Melbourne Cup, just building steadily with the best form up the sleeve ready to use at the big moment....what's the thoughts ??

It’s a three horse race.

Storm & Panthers the benchmark.

Manly ( at full strength ) the next.

Parramatta will fold.

Souths could be the ones we have to get over to get at the top 2.
Yep I see it similar however without Cleary Penrith are no better than us. In fact I put us ahead of them. I do wonder if our weak draw is not really preparing us too well, I guess the Storm and Parra games coming a few weeks out from finals is a good thing.

How good is it that we in Bris will get the chance to see all this live! Bloody great!

I feel like it's Melbourne's premiership to lose in my opinion. I think without Cleary or even with a 50% match fit one-armed Cleary, Penrith just takes a huge hit. I think they become way more beatable. I might be wrong, I'm interested to see Cleary's comeback. But I do believe we are the third best team in the comp. We showed what we can do to Parra and with Rabbitohs, I've never seen bigger frauds in my life since I watched the Leonardo Di Caprio movie, Catch me if you Can. They are even more flat track bullies than Parra, can u believe that? Anyways, I'm really excited with the rest of this regular season, we have a good mix of a favourable draw where we should show dominance and post cricket scores, and we have some really big top of the table clashes that are going to test us for finals. Can't wait for that Melbourne game round 21. Biggest game of the season.

Melbourne continually amaze me. They can have what looks like an ordinary side on paper and still triumph. But having the best team for the 26 rounds doesn't guarantee a premiership (only a minor premiership). Can they go to a higher level? Indeed, do they need to?
What I know is that for us to win the premiership we are going to have to win four matches in a row; the last three of which will be against the comps' best teams. It's a huge ask, and if we are to be any chance we'll have to have more luck with injuries.
Our best forward pack would be the largest in the comp and contain two of the NRL's most destructive and creative tyros: Guaca and The Shoe.
With DCE and Turbo our best backline is just as dangerous as Souffs, Melbourne and The 'Riff.
Let's hope we get the chance to strap ourselves in for a thrilling ride.

Not sure others opinions, but I feel this Manly juggernaut is warming up at the right time.
You get the St Illawarra types who come out the blocks first 5 - 6 games, then fade to bottom 4 by seasons end, but Manly have steadily built and may seem a stretch, but I reckon this Manly side has more improvement left at full strength than any other side in the competition.....
The hiccup games vs Newcastle and Canberra were a combination of being flat, ordinary officials and sprinkled with key players out and things simply not alligned in the performances...but history will show, Every Premiership winning side experiences these moments....truth be known, the early season games were worse, it's just the bar was set far higher after some Massive wins and Amazing form that made them hard to cop...
Moving forward there seems to be something Special building and though previously I thought we were a 2022/2023 premiership winning proposition, based on what I'm seeing across the NRL, there is only Storm and maybe Panthers who are still the teams to beat, but I would argue Manly at it's best is as good as any side....it's simply can they do this consistently over a few finals games ?
The team is clearly loving their footy and competition for spots in the 17 is only going to heat up more, which will only turn the intensity switch up......is this side timing the run perfectly for Finals....I have a vibe Des has them fine tuned almost like that racehorse a couple months away from the Melbourne Cup, just building steadily with the best form up the sleeve ready to use at the big moment....what's the thoughts ??
100%. Have not been this excited for a long time. Just hoping we can get to the finals at near full strength and have a real hot crack. We have had so much back luck due to injuries over the past years, its about time we have some luck go our way and show the comp what we are made of.

The boys all look primed, connected, heads on and playing as a team unit. The best looking team at full strength we have had in ages!

Lets go

Yep I see it similar however without Cleary Penrith are no better than us. In fact I put us ahead of them. I do wonder if our weak draw is not really preparing us too well, I guess the Storm and Parra games coming a few weeks out from finals is a good thing.

How good is it that we in Bris will get the chance to see all this live! Bloody great!
We have Melbourne and Parra which will be tough, but loving some easier games to really get the attack humming and build that confidence with putting on some good scores hopefully.

All comes down to injuries end of the day. Im no longer worried about Turbo and the hammy, he looks indestructible at the moment. Its one of those freak impact injuries that sucks

forget 5th im thinking we can snatch a top 4 birth, cowboys giving it to the chooks now, parra has a horror run home, obviously being hopeful, just like i wish had van dammes body in his prime, regardless... i can smell a whiff of that 4th spot....cmon you beautiful bastards! MAAAANNNLLLYYYY!!!!!

forget 5th im thinking we can snatch a top 4 birth, cowboys giving it to the chooks now, parra has a horror run home, obviously being hopeful, just like i wish had van dammes body in his prime, regardless... i can smell a whiff of that 4th spot....cmon you beautiful bastards! MAAAANNNLLLYYYY!!!!!
Safer in 5th I think.

We should then get through week 1 which then builds into the later part of the finals.

Still a few cogs in the chain to go, managing the game when we are in-front and discipline at key moments, getting very excited though, the team looks happy together we are certainly in the mix of we stay healthy.

But one game at a time lets just continue building and enjoy the ride.

I have heard the club is working towards the most important piece, they are thinking of starting a go fund me page to ship @Mark from Brisbane to Changtang Tibet for at least 3 months.

Seriously ,
when was the last game we were at full strength. ?
I can't remember in years.
Thanks to our new blood we will be close enough to the best full strength we have been in ages.
A few games with no more injuries and let em gel.
Right before the finals.
oooooh yeeeah.

Nothing personal but there is clearly a knee jerk reaction on the forum after every game:
we win = we are slightly behind Melbourne and Penrith
We lose = we are a long way off Melbourne and Penrith.

Only my opinion, but I don't think last night tells us anything...we were depleted and Saints were depleted. It was good to get the two points but there were aspects of the performance that were unimpressive. Another week, another try straight through the middle of the forwards. We also gave Saints far too many opportunities in the last 15 minutes to make a finish of it; luckily, they were poor and we didn't pay the price.

We will know where Manly stand when we play Melbourne in rd. 21.

Until then, it's just about getting the two points and minimising injuries to important players.

Yep, we let them back into the contest and the attack was clunky for significant periods of the match. We are also failing to defend the crash plays.

I'd say keeping Keppie off the field at the moment would help more; very hot and cold the last couple of months.

Agreed. Hard runner but the current rules mean that if you give away possession with a cheap penalty or handling error you mightn't see the ball for another 15 minutes. We were lucky the Dragons were undercooked and Hunt + Sims were gassed from origin

Last edited:
Nothing personal but there is clearly a knee jerk reaction on the forum after every game:
we win = we are slightly behind Melbourne and Penrith
We lose = we are a long way off Melbourne and Penrith.

Only my opinion, but I don't think last night tells us anything...we were depleted and Saints were depleted. It was good to get the two points but there were aspects of the performance that were unimpressive. Another week, another try straight through the middle of the forwards. We also gave Saints far too many opportunities in the last 15 minutes to make a finish of it; luckily, they were poor and we didn't pay the price.

We will know where Manly stand when we play Melbourne in rd. 21.

Until then, it's just about getting the two points and minimising injuries to important players.
Completely off key - Manly lose that game by plenty early season without Tom , DCE and Jake....yet find a way to win comfortably in the end after having to fight back.
I mean if you don't think Manly are building, that's fair enough, you don't need to play the premiership favourites in Melbourne to see if you improved and then say " yay we beat Storm - we are going well" or "damn we lost, we are no good"....strange angle

....I have a vibe Des has them fine tuned almost like that racehorse a couple months away from the Melbourne Cup, just building steadily with the best form up the sleeve ready to use at the big moment....what's the thoughts ??
Thoughts ?
We cannot win the Melbourne cup with donkeys in the back line
Speed kills :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8