Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
The Des/Hasler threads seem to have disappeared.

This take from Danny W in today’s Sun-Herald, who hits the nail on the head. The last sentence is the perfect summation of the outfit’s real issues:

Des-peration at Manly​

Manly are playing a dangerous game with Des Hasler, and if it goes wrong it could lead to him walking away from the club.
Every aspect of Hasler’s Manly set-up is about to be scrutinised and it’s clear the pressure being put on the coach is not sitting well with the players or those under the pump.

Hasler’s staff are about to be placed under real pressure and that uncertainty, coupled with that in the playing group, could be enough to push the coach – who has been at loggerheads with club management following the “pride” jersey saga – out the door.

Hasler’s agent, George Mimis, has tried for the best part of a year to restructure Hasler’s contract to remove performance clauses and to provide stability to the club, but the Sea Eagles won’t budge. That’s a sign management want more power. Hasler is a loyal man, but the club is aware what impact a review – or worse – of his people could have. Hasler is a quirky coach, for sure, but loyalty is really important to him, and he backs his people.

Hasler won’t take kindly to being told who he will be working with and may just decide that kind of interference is not worth it. He is certainly not as popular with management as he was. Officials did not like the way he handled the rainbow jersey press conference where he blamed them for many of the mistakes that were made. Some have not forgiven him for his exit in 2011 to join the Bulldogs.

There is talk at Manly of Stephen Hales being a prospective top-grade coach. It seems unlikely, but he was a favourite of the late Bob Fulton and you can never rule anything out in this game.

Hasler is the only person working 100 hours a week for the club and, in many ways, is the man holding the Sea Eagles together. With millions of dollars of their salary cap out injured – Tom Trbojevic in particular – this seems a strange time to sit in judgment. The club should be looking at the lack of leadership, accountability, revolving door executive team and low football IQ on the board.

This take from Danny W in today’s Sun-Herald, who hits the nail on the head. The last sentence is the perfect summation of the outfit’s real issues:

Des-peration at Manly​

Manly are playing a dangerous game with Des Hasler, and if it goes wrong it could lead to him walking away from the club.
Every aspect of Hasler’s Manly set-up is about to be scrutinised and it’s clear the pressure being put on the coach is not sitting well with the players or those under the pump.

Hasler’s staff are about to be placed under real pressure and that uncertainty, coupled with that in the playing group, could be enough to push the coach – who has been at loggerheads with club management following the “pride” jersey saga – out the door.

Hasler’s agent, George Mimis, has tried for the best part of a year to restructure Hasler’s contract to remove performance clauses and to provide stability to the club, but the Sea Eagles won’t budge. That’s a sign management want more power. Hasler is a loyal man, but the club is aware what impact a review – or worse – of his people could have. Hasler is a quirky coach, for sure, but loyalty is really important to him, and he backs his people.

Hasler won’t take kindly to being told who he will be working with and may just decide that kind of interference is not worth it. He is certainly not as popular with management as he was. Officials did not like the way he handled the rainbow jersey press conference where he blamed them for many of the mistakes that were made. Some have not forgiven him for his exit in 2011 to join the Bulldogs.

There is talk at Manly of Stephen Hales being a prospective top-grade coach. It seems unlikely, but he was a favourite of the late Bob Fulton and you can never rule anything out in this game.

Hasler is the only person working 100 hours a week for the club and, in many ways, is the man holding the Sea Eagles together. With millions of dollars of their salary cap out injured – Tom Trbojevic in particular – this seems a strange time to sit in judgment. The club should be looking at the lack of leadership, accountability, revolving door executive team and low football IQ on the board.

how much did des pay Danny to write that.

anyway he is right in the last paragraph des is part of the problem but not the guilty party in all this.

to me this is Penn wanting to be seen, we only see him aro7nd when he wants to be seen and heard.

Des-peration at Manly​

The behaviour of the “Manly seven” – the players who refused to wear the Sea Eagles’ rainbow jersey to celebrate diversity – is being closely monitored by the public. They are watching every step they take and we have had reports about the company some of them are keeping and the establishments they are visiting. No one has done anything illegal, but the moral police would have a field day if a photo emerges of whom they have been seen with.

how much did des pay Danny to write that.

anyway he is right in the last paragraph des is part of the problem but not the guilty party in all this.

to me this is Penn wanting to be seen, we only see him aro7nd when he wants to be seen and heard.
Penn and the board are sleepwalking their way into another ‘backend of 2011 scenario’. The big difference back then is that they had a ready made replacement coach, waiting in the wings.

Until of course they (‘Rott’ - the Rick and Scott duumvirate) grew unhappy with him a few years later.

Penn and the board are sleepwalking their way into another ‘backend of 2011 scenario’. The big difference back then is that they had a ready made replacement coach, waiting in the wings.

Until of course they (‘Rott’ - the Rick and Scott duumvirate) grew unhappy with him a few years later.
I want to both agree and like your post.

You can see this clearly becoming another backend 2011 scenario but as you said no real ready made replacement.

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that you @manlyfan76 who hit the like button to @Nordburg s reply to my post? Welcome back mate.
‘None of my business where you’ve been. Just happy to see you back.:)
Thanks mate.
Yes back for a look.
To be honest even though the 2nd half sucked I enjoyed the footy more this year while not coming on here and reading all the doom, naysaying and abuse that is par for the course.
Just watched Manly games and enjoyed it.

I'm hearing from various voices that Penn intends to send Manly to the US competition where he can make more bucks. Granted the NRL owns the Franchise but I wonder if he can tell the players to move? I can't see how, but when there is a will there's a way. Watch this space...the noise is in next 4 years. I wonder what is in the sub clauses inside contracts?

I know you're 'just the messenger' (or maybe you made it up for some off season fun, I dunno) but when I read this I thought it was posted by one of those dogs Muppets that recently joined.

Surprised it said the usa and not the moon (if Artemis ever gets back there). lol

You know, if the players are unhappy with the pressure being put on poor old Des, and the questions being asked about this coaching, they really should be taking a look at themselves. You play like ****, your coach is going to be under pressure. You play like **** for seven straight weeks, with a "down tools" fiasco near the start of it, someone's head is going to have to roll.

I know you're 'just the messenger' (or maybe you made it up for some off season fun, I dunno) but when I read this I thought it was posted by one of those dogs Muppets that recently joined.

Surprised it said the usa and not the moon (if Artemis ever gets back there). lol
The Moon is in their sights.

Scott and his fellow Malcolm* Knox Grammar old boy, Jack Hughman, are looking to start a Lunar League by 2030.

Can you imagine some of the towering punt kicks you could put up in the Sea if Tranquility or the Ocean of Storms?

*He was a pupil there too.

Didn’t urm and kaspersky make a massive offer to the penns to buy the club back when they were major sponsors??
Man I wish they sold then… I cannot stand the penns.. our head office has been the laughing stock of the nrl.. well, next to the tigers/magpies board anyway, and it’s always around those f&@king penns… just sell the club already and let us move on from this constant, year in - year out bullsh!t in the back offices

How about Seibold replacing Des? Anyone?

I have been shot down here for making the suggestion.

I reckon he is the most likely - not sure if I like it.

I dont think Des will be sacked, nor deserves to be. Penn wont pay him out and employ another coach.

Didn’t urm and kaspersky make a massive offer to the penns to buy the club back when they were major sponsors??
Man I wish they sold then… I cannot stand the penns.. our head office has been the laughing stock of the nrl.. well, next to the tigers/magpies board anyway, and it’s always around those f&@king penns… just sell the club already and let us move on from this constant, year in - year out bullsh!t in the back offices
We can only agree.

I imagine Ian Thomson Jr (Mestrov - there is a resemblance) in his private moments, agrees. However he presumably got the job because he is prepared to do Scott’s bidding.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8