Manly boss hopeful star duo will stay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shaka1eye

Reserve Grader
Manly CEO Joe Kelly says the future of Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran wlll be resolved by next week and remains confident the pair will stay.

Manly chief executive Joe Kelly remains confident Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran will remain with the Sea Eagles but admits the club may not be able to compete with huge offers tabled by rival teams.

Cherry-Evans and Foran are the two biggest names in the NRL off-contract at the end of this season and Kelly believes he's structured offers that are good enough to entice the star halves to stay.

However, he concedes the reported $2.4 million, three-year offer tabled by Cronulla to Cherry-Evans may be out of the Sea Eagles' reach and won't threaten the club's future by breaking the bank to keep the premiership-winning halves combination.

"We're really hopeful they'll stay, but ultimately you can't begrudge players looking around and testing the market," Kelly told AAP on Tuesday.

"We think what we've got at Manly is desirable to both players and what we've offered them is as far as we can stretch within our budget.

"We think it's a very commendable offer and with all the good players and strong culture we have at Manly we think that will also work in our favour.

"I've always been working to round one as when we want to conclude the negotiations and I'm hopeful that we'll have a resolution by then."

Foran and his camp have kept a very low profile in regard to thrashing out his future with Parramatta and Canterbury both conducting low-key talks with the Kiwi international.

But Cherry-Evans has been far more public in his dealings with other clubs, having been photographed on the Gold Coast last week looking at properties after discussions with the Titans.

That deal could be dead in the water following the NRL's takeover of the beleaguered club on Tuesday, with Cronulla now appearing to be in the box seat to secure his signature.

It's believed the Sea Eagles squad were less then enamoured with Cherry-Evans' very public meeting with Cronulla at Sharkies Leagues Club on Monday with a TV crew on hand to film his arrival alongside manager Gavin Orr.

Kelly said he was unaware of any major gripes from the players but admitted he was surprised to see the footage.

"Players are testing the market all the time, and some choose to do it in different ways. It's something we have to deal with," the former South Sydney CFO said.

"It's a challenge that they come off contract at the same time, but I've spent a lot of time making sure we are competitive without putting our long-term future in jeopardy.

"I think the players will view the offers as very good ones and hopefully they will re-sign."

If Cherry-Evans and Foran do decide to end their association with Manly it would leave a huge hole to fill and Kelly said potential replacements have already been discussed.

"You have to formalise your plan of action and like any business you have to think of the long-term scenarios," he said.

"We're optimistic they'll stay. But we're realistic at the same time about the likelihood of retaining both.

"If we don't keep them then we have plans in place for alternative recruitment."

Like the noise coming from our new CEO. Keen to re-sign the two but not willing to break the bank in the process. Good move IMO.

I guess it was time to hear we hope they sign for less money. Sounds like a commendable plan.

It was strange to hear a CEO say unaware of the gripes players had.

Say it 3 times and it's true :)

Cant argue with common sense. Great article and refreshing to read.

I sill have a gut feel for a big day Friday at the season launch with lots to celebrate.

What happened to our supposed million dollar offers that we were giving them?

Other than Foran and Cherry-Evans does anyone really care what happens any more?

What happened to our supposed million dollar offers that we were giving them?

Other than Foran and Cherry-Evans does anyone really care what happens any more?

Probably does not include the third party agreements, which are not totally guaranteed

Look if i was dce i'd be embarrassed to stay after the saga he's put the club through with his money searching.I wonder what the rest of the players will think of him,that will always be in the back of his mind.

Breaking news in Fox Sports

DCE has now completed contract discussions with other clubs

He will now give Manly the opportunity to make a final counter offer

Hmmm, why is this taking place on such a public platform?

I wonder if Manly will change their best and final offer?

Manly should stay strong. No one should hold the club to ransom. Throw a bit more at Foz. Does leave a whole in the halves though. Not sure who would step up

I am guessing they upped Matai's offer for him to stay, so as long as it is not unreasonable I see know reason why Manly won't up the offer a little on DCE.

I got a laugh out of this on Twitter
@DanGinnane: DCE's manager releases statement acknowledging the process of leaking his clients secret meetings with clubs has been completed

Go and be rich somewhere else and unsuccessful
Or stay and be well paid and successful

Could not have said it better myself. They have both become accustomed to winning. Can't imagine getting bashed and losing on a regular basis would be very appealing.

Just ask Parra.

Good article, nice to know the CEO is willing to stand firm.

Be interesting to know who the 'potential replacements' are.

The thing about Manly making a counter offer, is what's stopping them from turning around and asking the Sharks to make a counter offer? sooner or later someone has to call their bluff!

I'd throw huge $$$ at Foz, sign a really good prop, and wave DCE goodbye.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6