Lyon's roar at refs' dud calls

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Liueli of Brookvale

Reserve Grader
THE Sea Eagles are fast losing faith over NRL referees’ ability to control games, with coach Des Hasler demanding match officials should face players and explain their mistakes.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/eagles-have-faith-no-more-in-whistleblowers/

yeah that will happen
and what will that solve
the mistakes should be financial, the refs are on good money apparently fine them 10% every time they stuff up, they will learn pretty quick when they have to go home to their Mrs and explain where their pay is

BE - as long as they dock all the players for drop balls, forward passes and penalties conceeded. Got to have it both ways.

ads link said:
BE - as long as they dock all the players for drop balls, forward passes and penalties conceeded. Got to have it both ways.

Totally disagree.  The game is meant to be decided by the players whether that be by good pieces of play or even by their mistakes . The game is not meant to be decided by refereeing errors. The players are on one side playing against an opposition and they know that any mistakes they may make can give the opposition an advantage.  The referees are not meant to be aiding one side or the other but any mistakes they make can do just that. Im saying it is deliberate but they are meant to be refereeing only... not deciding or affecting the result. The players are meant to decide and affect the result.  To compare referee errors with player errors is ridiculous.

We have copped some appalling ref errors this season in crucial parts of games.

The parra forward pass was probably the worst.

At least the refs are consistent in one area - getting it wrong.

The NRL needs some pakistani referees.  At least that way we could pay them to make mistakes against the oppostion teams. 

Jerry1 link said:
We have copped some appalling ref errors this season in crucial parts of games.

The parra forward pass was probably the worst.

At least the refs are consistent in one area - getting it wrong.

Spot on

Bones link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=184977.msg289176#msg289176 date=1283243957]

Totally disagree.  The game is meant to be decided by the players whether that be by good pieces of play or even by their mistakes . The game is not meant to be decided by refereeing errors. The players are on one side playing against an opposition and they know that any mistakes they may make can give the opposition an advantage.  The referees are not meant to be aiding one side or the other but any mistakes they make can do just that. Im saying it is deliberate but they are meant to be refereeing only... not deciding or affecting the result. The players are meant to decide and affect the result.  To compare referee errors with player errors is ridiculous.
[/quote]

I agree. Most errors by players are committed at pace, based on split-second decisions, and with an opposition deliberately trying to force those errors. Compare that to the two howlers by Harrigan and Hampstead. Made with the benefit of multiple replays, time to consider and without someone trying to pressure them into error. Cannot compare them.

I'm confused though why people accept that the players are human and make mistake but think that refs should be perfect machines that never make mistakes ever.

Having ref'd quite a bit for local park touch footy - its pretty tough. And sure the video refs shouldn't make the mistakes they have been, but you've got to remember they are only human and like all humans they have shockers.

So it seems pretty harsh to hold refs up to a 100% standard linked to their pay, when no one else about is held to the same thing. Knowing people who work in the medical field - the stories they tell of stuff-ups are insane - but no one gets docked pay for them even though in those cases it is literally life and death!

You know what, I am willing to accept line ball errors by Refs on the field, the 50/50 ones or even a little worse, the issue I have is with the ones made by the video ref, like the two we have be given in the last few weeks. We could have won both games, especially the roosters one but the refs changed the momentum and changed the score line and incorrectly in both cases. If a ref or a linesman make an error in the run of play, and its not a howler then ok, move on it all evens out and all that. But with replays its not ok, or in the case of the parra forward pass, when it is that bad it is not ok.

Refs are human, the video ref is aided by a heap of tech tho and should be able to make the right decision.

Further more players are punished for their mistakes, try asking Wolfman what it feels like to likely never play for his state again, or ask Burt what it feels like to miss finals football. The consequence of a players mistake is a poor outcome in the competition, the consequence of a refs mistake?? Players who make a lot of mistakes retard their earning power, their rep opportunities and their teams position on the ladder. Refs get picked each and every week regardless and others have to deal with the consequences of their mistakes.

ads link said:
I'm confused though why people accept that the players are human and make mistake but think that refs should be perfect machines that never make mistakes ever.

Having ref'd quite a bit for local park touch footy - its pretty tough. And sure the video refs shouldn't make the mistakes they have been, but you've got to remember they are only human and like all humans they have shockers.

So it seems pretty harsh to hold refs up to a 100% standard linked to their pay, when no one else about is held to the same thing. Knowing people who work in the medical field - the stories they tell of stuff-ups are insane - but no one gets docked pay for them even though in those cases it is literally life and death!

The field refs are allowed to make mistakes, they are faced with the same pressure & split second decisions as the players.

It's not unreasonable to expect 100% from the video refs though. A bunch of pissed d1ckheads watching a blurry screen from 100 metres away can get the right decision after two or three replays most times. What poissible excuse do the vid refs have?

Duff link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=184977.msg289241#msg289241 date=1283254994]

The field refs are allowed to make mistakes, they are faced with the same pressure & split second decisions as the players.

It's not unreasonable to expect 100% from the video refs though. A bunch of pissed d1ckheads watching a blurry screen from 100 metres away can get the right decision after two or three replays most times. What poissible excuse do the vid refs have?
[/quote]

They don't and if they keep making mistakes they should be dropped - ala the players as per Rusty's post.

But holding anyone to a 100% standard is crazy (Wolfie wasn't held to that with his Origin mistakes - it was his fourth shocker in two games that did it form him) - they will make mistakes - and I doubt anyone here would agree to be held to a 100% standard in their line of work.

I'm not defending bad mistakes, I'm just saying we shouldn't expect to hold any human to such ridiculous standards. We expect such a ridiculous standard from our refs then they will never be able to achieve it.

Not many other games cop as much bad press about their refs and how poor they are as Rugby League in Australia does. It is just horrible

Some things that will fix the outcry over NRL refs:

1) Keep the 2 on-field refs - that is not the problem. The rucks have definitely cleaned up - remember in the past when every tackle was a strip/penalty/knock-on?

2) Video Ref can ONLY rule on immediate grounding and offside - NOTHING ELSE in general play

3) REMOVE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. DOUBT needs to go to the DEFENDING TEAM. Stop awarding tries that are almost tries and people will be a LOT happier. This is by far the worst rule in rugby league at present.

Duff link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=184977.msg289241#msg289241 date=1283254994]

It's not unreasonable to expect 100% from the video refs though. A bunch of pissed d1ckheads watching a blurry screen from 100 metres away can get the right decision after two or three replays most times. What possible excuse do the vid refs have?
[/quote]

110% spot on Duff....I can live with a ref making an error if he chooses to do so on the run and without the aid of technology....it's the way it was for about 90 years before the technology was brought in.

What I cannot live with is that decisions are made that are so clear to everyone watching on TV, or at the game that are so damn wrong, the Gasnier Try being a perfect example.

I think it's time that the Video Refs all sit at NRL Headquarters, and there's about 3 of them adjudicating each decision...they sit in separate boxes (unable to talk with each other) and it's done by consensus,maybe then we'd have a better chance of getting it right!

Allow the on field ref to over rule the video ref as well. If he sees another infringement he can take action.

The on field ref should always have the ultimate call

We say we don't want the video ref anymore, but if they got rid of it everytime the on field ref made a mistake everyone would be saying 'bring back the video ref - why did we get rid of it?'

I mean people were saying after the parra forward pass that they want the video ref to rule on forward passes that are obvious as well.

I agree that the standard of refing is poor and needs improvements, but lets be realistic.

What about having a screen/booth at the side of the field, that the onfield ref can consult for tries etc where they would now go to the video ref. That way it is still the same ref making the call and they also can confirm what they thought they saw live.

I've heard something similar is in use in the NFL in the states, but I'm not sure on that. Though the NFL is much slower so it gives them more time to stuff about with the decisions.

Would that work? Takes an extra person out of the loop.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2