Lyall on Big Sports Breakfast - 1017 AM

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My take:
1. They have been talking to Des for weeks, not days;
2. Gorman always had Des in mind (but club/Penn needed to come around to th idea);
3. There is no "top 4" contract clause. it is aspirational;
4. There will NOT be two head coaches come 5th November;
5. Lyall mentioned members forum has a defingin point;
6. BSB read out a number of emails from fans backign Lyall's personal touch e.g. ringing members;
7. Back ended contracts, salary cap is a moving beast and all clubs manage it in similar ways - he seemed to agree with Des that it is a period thing (years) versus a static period (year).

Very impressed by Lyall. An experienced steady hand, clarity of thinking and the personal strength to (somewhat) hold his own with a strong willed owner and coach. The general membership outreach has been a revelation.

Last edited:
Looks like Lyle has a very purposeful and professional results driven mindset and operating style . Hopefully he can also take advantage of some of the more positive vibes around the club at present and draw in any additional corporate and sponsorship entities out there who may be now interested or induced to come on board in some capacity . And reaching out even more and trying to woo back any disenfranchised football club groups or members who still do wish to be part of the main club scene again . United we stand [ as much as possible ] , so to speak and then success has a good chance of following .

Lyall talked the good talk and has been impressive since he started. He now has delivered on one of the promises and the club has heading right the direction that’s a massive tick in my books.

I think Lyall has been a complete waste of space and oxygen since he started 12 months ago ......

However, he has more than earned his entire annual salary in 3 weeks if he, as I suspect, has taken the metaphorical bat handle to Penn and made him change his outlook ...... not just in the Hasler resurrection but the employment of support staff ....

I have met Lyall in different circumstances. I am also a member of the Western Sydney Wanderers

He was so instrumental in the setting up of that club , and the way he took notice of the fans , and engaged them in every aspect.

He is a very slick operator and when he held the members forum the other week, whenever it was , this made me smile because i knew he would listen to the fans. he is a great believer of give the fans what they want.. When he left WSW his loss was felt... We are lucky to have him believe me.

He always has time to talk to the fans

I have met Lyall in different circumstances. I am also a member of the Western Sydney Wanderers

He was so instrumental in the setting up of that club , and the way he took notice of the fans , and engaged them in every aspect.

He is a very slick operator and when he held the members forum the other week, whenever it was , this made me smile because i knew he would listen to the fans. he is a great believer of give the fans what they want.. When he left WSW his loss was felt... We are lucky to have him believe me.

He always has time to talk to the fans
The bloke has had to put out fires that weren’t his doing and copped a heap of **** from the media because of Barrett deflecting his lack of ability and performance. Signing Des is a big step forward. I think memberships and sponsors should increase now we have a proven coach who has the manly DNA.

My only wish now is that the club can not only re-engage with the fans who walked away when tooves was sacked but also those past players from
2008-2011 who have drifted from the club. It would be great to see the Stewart’s, Matai and Lyon at the occasional game or as ambassadors.

I always thought Glenn had the makings of a coach.

Haha Lyall welcome to Manly.

Press hammering us - Lyall is ****, a myth, what does he actually do..?

Des signs - **** - Lyall greatest boss ever haha

Well I have to put my hand up as I was one who called him the Phantom. But I was wrong and glad I am. Sorry Lyall, keep up the great work.

The bloke has had to put out fires that weren’t his doing and copped a heap of **** from the media because of Barrett deflecting his lack of ability and performance. Signing Des is a big step forward. I think memberships and sponsors should increase now we have a proven coach who has the manly DNA.

My only wish now is that the club can not only re-engage with the fans who walked away when tooves was sacked but also those past players from
2008-2011 who have drifted from the club. It would be great to see the Stewart’s, Matai and Lyon at the occasional game or as ambassadors.

I always thought Glenn had the makings of a coach.
It was interesting to hear Max Krilich response to this at the members forum when this was brought up in the QandA.

Basically he said this is no different from his playing days. Blokes just move on and start another chapter of their lives and you never hear/see them again. Just like what the Stewart’s and co have done.

But it would be nice to see them at Golden Eagles day

Last edited:
I put most of the success in bringing Des back to Lyle Gorman.
Since then membership has gone crazy,shaw and partners have re signed.
Now that the crap from last year has abated, Lyle can get on the front foot and help make this club successful both financially and on field.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8