1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Dan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    There have been a lot of thoughts thrown around about us after Monas, but what I find more surprising is how little people have commented on missing Hicks.

I think losing Hicks is going to be a bigger blow to our side than we imagined, him and Stewart are genuine speedsters and Hicks has a lot of skill, without him I think we will lack a little something, no matter the replacements we have they just aren't him and I think we are going to suffer for it, I am not sure Bani really is the answer, whilst he seemed pretty good, they were just some short glimpses

Does anyone else hold this concern?

Dan

2. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    My concerns are in other areas, but with Bani it will be under the high ball that remains a question mark. Other than that I hold no great fears.

3. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Hicks scored a lot of tries that I don't think Robertson and Bani could score.

Hicks also played like a centre, he would come in field and score a lot of tries by doing so especially Bell was inside him, this was a must when Bell crabbed half way infield

4. easystreet

easystreet Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hicks had at fantastic season on '06,he was one of our best,but he really fell off last year.He didnt get anywhere near as involved as he did 2 years ago,and many more errors...i guess the management could see that and werent too fussed when he looked elsewhere.

5. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Don't stress. Bani is sweet under the high ball.

Hicks is a fine player but he was on good coin and Bani has the potential to be much better.

6. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    assuming orford and lyon stay fit i am not worried about either replacement, Ballin is a star in the making and Bani will probably finish the year as our best winger.

We have great depth in all positions outside of playmakers.

If lyon got injured i would seriously think about giving stewy a run is this williams bloke is up to speed

7. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    As Fluffy alluded to, when Stewart is on SOO duty, we have a proper fullback to replace him in Williams and not Robertson at fullback. This will be much better for the team.

8. Bradza

Bradza Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +490 / 6
    I share your concern Dan. Hicks had great leg drive when returning the ball and knew how to find the try line from 10-15m out. While Bani looks to have huge potential it is in the area of experience and consistency that I think we wlll notice Hicks' absence this year. I think Bani will be up and down this year but do believe that he can develop into an even better package than Hicks over the next couple of years.

9. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I recall that game against Souths where we didn't break it until the 60th minute.  And in those first 60 minutes Hicks made some clutch plays to nullify very dangerous situations.  Bani has yet to prove he will do that. 

10. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,766 / 72
    If the loss of a winger will make or break our season then I suggest we will be in big trouble already.  Book your next holiday in September

11. DVS Matt

DVS Matt Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    agreed-  the season ain't going to ride on a winger.

I'm worried about Ballin being consistant and the halves having enough potency.

12. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    All wingers are replacable

13. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    All Players are replaceable.

just some are a bit more difficult to do so than others :)

14. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Folau, Hayne, Sailor, Tuquiri, Inu?

Clubs pull those sorts out thier ass everyday.

15. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    2 of those arent playing league and 3 arent wingers.

And yes the fact that you can name those off the top of your head indicates that yes, they do come along regularly.

16. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Folau, Hayne, Sailor, Tuquiri, Inu?

Clubs pull those sorts out thier ass everyday.
    [/quote]

These players are only as good as the players up front and inside them.  A winger will not win you games every week.

17. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Flip, tell me how many of those players will play wing this year???

Agreed it is harder to replace some players it's just that none of those players are wingers.

18. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    none of those are or have been a regular winger?

19. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Of those players mentioned, 3 of them have only turned up in the last 2 years

Another way to look at it, how many quality wingers do we see prodcued every few years, compard to quality halves ?

That shows how often good wingers come along

Hicks will be missed for sure, but not that much

20. SF08

SF08 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Bani will be a more then capable replacement for Hicks. Whether Ballin can fill the void left by Monas is another story - although, I've got plenty of confidence in him.