[Resurrected] Lol @ Parra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

NRL 2024: Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur sacked, to receive $1.5 million payout​

Eels coach Brad Arthur has been sacked and will receive a $1.5 million payout following crisis talks with Parramatta bosses.

Besieged Eels coach Brad Arthur has been sacked and will receive a $1.5 million payout following crisis talks with Parramatta bosses on Monday.

This masthead can reveal Arthur has become the second NRL coach fired this year after Souths’ Jason Demetriou in the wake of Parramatta’s heavy 48-16 loss to the Storm on Sunday.

It is understood Parramatta bosses were locked in meetings discussing the termination of Arthur, who was a dead-man walking following the Eels’ slide into the bottom four with a dismal 3-7 start to the season.

Arthur celebrates his 50th birthday on Tuesday, but it has become a sombre affair, with Eels management deciding to pull the trigger on the coach ahead of Saturday’s clash against South Sydney.

Trent Barrett will take over for the rest of the season. Barrett has had stints at Manly and Canterbury. He joined Arthur’s staff last year.

Arthur has presided over the Eels for a decade and went within 80 minutes of delivering a watershed premiership in 2022, only for Parramatta to be soundly beaten by Penrith in that year’s decider.

But this season has proved a disaster for the Eels and there is a view Arthur is running out of ideas at a time when Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett is a free agent and attracting interest from Souths.

Brad Arthur. Picture: NRL Photos

Arthur is contracted to the Eels until the 2025 but Parramatta have opted to sever ties immediately - triggering high-powered meetings on Monday to bring the long-serving coach’s tenure to an end.

It is understood Arthur will pocket a seven-figure severance package given he had another 18 months to run on his Eels deal.

Arthur admitted after Sunday’s shocking loss to the Storm that he would be under fierce scrutiny.

“It’s happened too often over the last month or so,” said Arthur, who called the second-half performance “embarrassing”.

“Obviously when we get under a little bit of fatigue, we’re lacking that resilience to defend a set.”

Asked if he believed he was the coach to turn the club around after the Storm clash, Arthur said: “I do.

“(The pressure) is going to be the same.

“But I’ve never walked away from a fight and we’re going to keep fighting hard. I still believe in this team but they’ve got to start to believe in themselves, especially when they’re under a bit of pressure.”

Pressure on Arthur comes barely 18 months after he led the Eels to the 2022 grand final, which they lost to reigning premiers Penrith.

Arthur was not interested in considering whether the pressure was fair given the Eels’ 52 per cent winning record across his tenure.

“Nothing’s fair in our game,” he said.

“We can’t be sooks about it. We’ve just got to get on with it and we can only go on the facts and the facts are that we’re not playing well enough.

“I’m the head coach for the team and we’ve got to do something about it.

“All they want to do is get around us and support myself and the coaches and the rest of the staff and the team.

“But at the end of the day, what matters is what we’re doing on that field for 80 minutes and it’s not good enough at the minute.”

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Barrett keeps doing a Bradbury
Won’t matter what he does… I have been convinced that Mr Bennett will be at Parra next year since he uttered the following quote earlier this year…

“I loved Jack Gibson and Ron Massey ... both wonderful men. They were big influences on my life and my coaching life but that doesn't mean that is going to get me to the Eels.”

To me it was Wayne stating a clear interest while letting the directorship know that they will need to up/refine their offer…

If they HAVE secured Wayne then it makes sense that they would make the call on Arthur now while the iron is hot rather than run the risk of the team going on a hot run into the finals once Moses comes back and THEN sacking Brad…

47MVEagle

Bencher
Won’t matter what he does… I have been convinced that Mr Bennett will be at Parra next year since he uttered the following quote earlier this year…

“I loved Jack Gibson and Ron Massey ... both wonderful men. They were big influences on my life and my coaching life but that doesn't mean that is going to get me to the Eels.”

To me it was Wayne stating a clear interest while letting the directorship know that they will need to up/refine their offer…

If they HAVE secured Wayne then it makes sense that they would make the call on Arthur now while the iron is hot rather than run the risk of the team going on a hot run into the finals once Moses comes back and THEN sacking Brad…
Good point!

So it’s not official that Bennett has signed with souffs?

frank stokes

Good point!

So it’s not official that Bennett has signed with souffs?
Not to my knowledge… they want him but nobody has said he is over the line… plus Wayne knows how much of a sh^tshow the bunnies are and the influence/power of certain players has only grown since Wayne left for the broncos… players that Wayne brought thru have been discarded and it needs a complete makeover of the power dynamics - I don’t reckon Wayne could be f*cked when the squeels are in a better position and offer a bigger reward (first premiership for 40 years)

XV-1

First Grader
Could he be any worse?

Yesterday’s result notwithstanding, Parramatta have generally looked like a more capable defensive team than Manly, for the bulk of Arthur’s tenure.

My view is that he played a big part in getting Manly into the 2013 Grand Final.

Interestingly, Penn has apparently always been a Brad Arthur fan. So maybe Anthony S-bend needs to really lift his game if he wants to survive as coach beyond this season.

Would Seibold have the balls to hire him as an assistant?
Would Brad do it?

Many questions. Hopefully this gets Seibold to pull the fist out of his fat arrsse.

47MVEagle

Bencher
Not to my knowledge… they want him but nobody has said he is over the line… plus Wayne knows how much of a sh^tshow the bunnies are and the influence/power of certain players has only grown since Wayne left for the broncos… players that Wayne brought thru have been discarded and it needs a complete makeover of the power dynamics - I don’t reckon Wayne could be f*cked when the squeels are in a better position and offer a bigger reward (first premiership for 40 years)
It’ll be interesting to see what becomes of souffs if they do indeed miss out on Bennett.

Nordburg

First Grader

Wayne’s media mouth piece,Peter Badel,just said Bennett has rejected an offer from the Eels.Make of that what you will and Bennett is always cagey,but when Badel talks Wayne stuff,it’s normally straight from the horses mouth

frank stokes

Wayne’s media mouth piece,Peter Badel,just said Bennett has rejected an offer from the Eels.Make of that what you will and Bennett is always cagey,but when Badel talks Wayne stuff,it’s normally straight from the horses mouth
Yeah I have been in Japan for a week and missed a bit of media by the look of it… just saw this which (whilst not confirming) seems to indicate he is back to the bunnies…

I am really quite surprised he went that way but who am I to question the “SuperCoach” I guess…

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
The supreme irony would be the appointment of Barrett as interim head coach - if Brad is sacked before season’s end - with three former Manly players that he either did not want at Manly (Gutherson, Lussick), or who left in dismay (Lane)* in the Parramatta squad.

*In response to Barrett’s noted (cough) man management skills during and after the ‘Hastings affair’.
Nailed it!

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Could he be any worse?

Yesterday’s result notwithstanding, Parramatta have generally looked like a more capable defensive team than Manly, for the bulk of Arthur’s tenure.

My view is that he played a big part in getting Manly into the 2013 Grand Final.

Interestingly, Penn has apparently always been a Brad Arthur fan. So maybe Anthony S-bend needs to really lift his game if he wants to survive as coach beyond this season.
Yep. I would take Arthur as our defensive coach. We sure as f**k need one, and as Terry says, the last time he was our defensive coach (under Tooves), we made the grand final - and would have won it if not for Shayne Wayne Hayne's MVP efforts on behalf of the Roosters that day.

Arthur landed the Eels job (as well as Foran and Watmough) on the strength of his time at Manly. Players apparently love him, and I actually think he's a decent coach. Having him back on our coaching staff would not be a crazy idea.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
12 6 6 -39 14