Leaking points in the 20m

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Look at today
Look at the South's and Roosters game
We have a problem that can be resolved.
I can't recall a distance try apart from a weird 90m interception to Dom Young last week
Besides that, have rarely seen us troubled from "their end " unless a penalty comes
We are very vulnerable in the ref zone and can claim other teams are obviously....just an area to improve and every team has a few....but I'm only concerned about ours
In fairness new systems and players just getting together, but need to get it worked out soon

Thing there is a lot of takeaways after the game today, mostly positive learnings though.

I think that Ray Ray stifles the attack on the left edge, for me he just doesn’t have the speed, Tommy was looking for that cut out ball a couple of times and had to hit Koula, then he got put into touch.

I think a winger with decent speed on the left improves the attack there.

The big boppers didn’t dominate like last week, even Croker looked gassed after his spell on the sidelines and he is one of the fittest, Vegas travel catching up.

Could be a good thing the loss, have the team fired up for Dragoons and the Riff.

Thing there is a lot of takeaways after the game today, mostly positive learnings though.

I think that Ray Ray stifles the attack on the left edge, for me he just doesn’t have the speed, Tommy was looking for that cut out ball a couple of times and had to hit Koula, then he got put into touch.

I think a winger with decent speed on the left improves the attack there.

The big boppers didn’t dominate like last week, even Croker looked gassed after his spell on the sidelines and he is one of the fittest, Vegas travel catching up.

Could be a good thing the loss, have the team fired up for Dragoons and the Riff.
Good summary mate
I really feel Lodge will resolve many middle issues and could be an unsung hero as we roll through 2024
Adds that tougher shell in the middle and Brown tried his guts out today, add this big bopper and we shut down much. Momentum and add some in attack

Yeh Lodge has a good offload in him also, Sipley a chance this week if Alioia is ruled out, he will bring some fresh enthusiasm.

Haven’t been able to find any articles on how Schuster went today, that for me could mean he played well.

From the presser you can only admire the way that Seibold and DCE spoke about the game, tell me the focus is right.

It’s good to be watching a very competitive team with a few handy additions to come back along with the three spots still open in the 30.

It worried me how quickly and how easily we gave up points after we'd scored in the first two games against the Bunnies and Roosters. But really, that's been the case for years.

I haven't trusted our defence for the better part of a decade: we can't defend inside our own 20, and once a team gets a repeat set (either from a penalty or a six again call), you may as well just add four points to their score.

It seems to me that the style of footy we want to play this season works to our strengths: attack, attack, attack. Which is great, as long as you can hold onto the ball. Theoretically, if you can keep scoring tries, you won't have to worry about tackling. But there comes a time in every NRL game when you have to defend, even if it's only for a little while. And that's where our problems arise.

Our deficiencies in defence are glaringly obvious, so you'd think we'd make some attempt to address them (like doing opposed sessions which target the left-hand side over and over and over again). But it looks like we've decided to double-down on the attack instead.

It worried me how quickly and how easily we gave up points after we'd scored in the first two games against the Bunnies and Roosters. But really, that's been the case for years.

I haven't trusted our defence for the better part of a decade: we can't defend inside our own 20, and once a team gets a repeat set (either from a penalty or a six again call), you may as well just add four points to their score.

It seems to me that the style of footy we want to play this season works to our strengths: attack, attack, attack. Which is great, as long as you can hold onto the ball. Theoretically, if you can keep scoring tries, you won't have to worry about tackling. But there comes a time in every NRL game when you have to defend, even if it's only for a little while. And that's where our problems arise.

Our deficiencies in defence are glaringly obvious, so you'd think we'd make some attempt to address them (like doing opposed sessions which target the left-hand side over and over and over again). But it looks like we've decided to double-down on the attack instead.

Tigers 2005 are the only team in living memory to win a comp using this theory.

I'm not sure the odds are in our favour, especially in this era, where possession is absolute King.

Tigers 2005 are the only team in living memory to win a comp using this theory.

I'm not sure the odds are in our favour, especially in this era, where possession is absolute King.
Agree 100%, mave. But, for whatever reason, it seems to be the choice the coaches have made.

Agre - been an issue re leaking points in our 20m for the past 18 months. IF we can tighten this up then it will improve our chances this season. I must admit when watching games and a team enters our 20 I feel like they can/will score at anytime.

I think we have improved re: defence in the 20m area. I thought it was generally at its worst (in recent times) when TfT (Trent from Temora) was the coach.

Admittedly, early days.

Yeah our goal line defence has still been very dodgy. We can't win a comp getting into high scoring shootouts all the time. We need to learn how to plug those holes and defend our line inside our 20.

In the last three weeks most chances that teams have had pass our adv line, they look likely. Roosters scored easily with the chances they had, we are just lucky they didn't play down there for too long.

The team has to build resilience when we lose the ball, far too often a try is conceded from a turn over and what we do with the ball when we have, especially getting to the end of our sets is crucial.

One good sign on Sunday, when there 26-18 down and really going no where, DCE put in a quality long kick, the chase was excellent and on tackle 2 forced an error and we got the ball back. The sad thing is we yet again frittered it away by going wide where there was more defence than attackers.

We probably played 60 percent of that game in our own half and that was mostly due to our turnovers and indiscipline!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8