Leagues Club Live

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Thanks to the updates from those that attended.

Sounds like that the owners and admin are listening to what we want. Could all be pie in the sky stuff again but the club copped it from all angles in the media this year and unfortunately and having a successful season was always going to be hard to have given the salary cap issue.

I'll support the club again (via membership) next season in the hope that some lessons have been learnt and that it was a wake up call that there are some big issues that need to be dealt with. It was hard to stay positive at times and even defend the club. However now that Lyall has seen the club and what issues it has he would have come up with some short term goals for the club and looking further for medium to long term of where we need to be. He is getting paid the big bucks but he seriously walked into an absolute mess of a club and should be given some time to turn things around. Countering media stories (where appropriate as the media will rehash anything or link us to any story just to make a buck) should be a priority. We as fans and members will always back the club but when they stay silent and the noise gets louder it's hard to not believe that there maybe some truth to the issues, even if it is negative news.

Hopefully they resolve the coaching role within the next week and make some key appointments in support staff.

Go Manly!!

What did Brett Stewart say those years ago when Tony Williams and Des Hasler left for the Bulldogs?

"Be Manly, don't be a dooorg".

Sorry, that's the attitude and culture I respect.

**** Cartwright. If he was serious about a coaching job (head of), he needed to be at that meeting last night, answering questions and showing 100% commitment.

I'm sure Gould could have found a ready replacement.
Maybe he was talking to corey waddell. He announced leaving last night. He a good young talent

Of the clubs in Melbourne (not counting Geelong), only Hawthorn who are based out at the old Waverly Park stadium (or what's left of it - just the oval and main grandstand which now houses the club offices and training facilities still remain) and St Kilda who are based in the southern suburbs down in Moorabbin but play their home games at the Docklands, are outside of a 10-15 KM radius of the CBD. And both the MCG and the Docklands are located close to the Melbourne CBD and both are easily accessible from there via public transport.

A very different picture to Sydney and where its NRL clubs are located.
Yet, most fans in city Melbourne live on the outsides fringes (west/north) the latte's don't go to footy, more art galleries.

In a nutshell, the success of the night is that I felt the fans were heard. Not “politician heard” but understood, and seemingly they are interested. I also felt like Penn wants what the fans want: to win more, to keep Manly DNA and to stay at Brooky. Maybe he won’t get what he wants, maybe he will have a stoush with Gorman, or NB council’s mayor or Abbott and pride will decide what actually unfolds, but he’s one of us. Just rich.

I didn’t expect any announcements (hadn’t heard about the Wheel’s email from LG). Announcements are totally reliant on timing now. They said when you make an offer to a player you must also simultaneously disclose that to the NRL. So as well as the club, player and player manager you now have the NRL informed. Of course there will be rumours and leaks as a result. Therefore, any announcements will be knee jerk ones, trying to beat the rumour mill. So it was no surprise they had no crumbs for the members to be told.

Lyall made the point that there is now 7 day content on the NRL and that content will be created either from fact or otherwise. “Don’t be seduced by the media” said Gorman. That is, make up your own mind and stay faithful to the club. They promised to make more statements although I think that by doing that they will attract more criticism from fans. For example, yesterday’s press release about Barrett didn’t say much except that the club noticed and that there is no announcement yet. I’d prefer that than silence. Penn and Gorman seemed pretty beaten up by the media storm - Gorman said his year was derailed by the salary cap issue which has been distracting from other business being completed.

Penn said there were 2 factors on low crowd numbers:

- to attract funding the club has been talking Brooky down but the fact is it is a loved ground in an “adequate” condition. People like it. It’s time to stop bagging it; work is being done, plans are in place. People still like coming as it is though.

- we expect to win. Win again and people will flock back

Crowds are down due to the draw designed to keep crowds down
Why is this elephant in the room constantly ignored
Somehow the NRL calls this a partnership

15,000 seat stadium??

Grand for now but shows a lack of long term ambition, 18k minimum maybe 20
Surely they have to work with Council as well.

The latter had a perfectly viable master plan, some of which has been realised, without going back to another architect (for another scheme), which sounds like a scaled down ‘Joe Kelly Pie in the Sky Special’.

Stick to a realistic plan.

The description above of Scott Penn as a Bruce Wayne type is great, made me smile.

Did we get to the bottom of penns vs penn’s ? I guess that post of mine was deemed frivolous.

We'll have to disagree on this one mate. It's about perception, professionalism, culture & those other things for mine, mate.

The whole Cartwright clan are associated with Penrith (even though their club has tried to cut ties with the coaches / players with that surname).

They won't even entertain a sit down with good old John. They'd rather an L plate Ciraldo.

Anyways, I'm sure he enjoyed quite a few beers with them all at the club, while Gorman and Penn were trying to save face at ours.
There are some split families. We got Russell and Daniel Gartner as manly juniors and legends, but I believe there were other clan members that were bulldogs.

I think we can let Cartwright present his dad’s medal. If he stays as a coach he’ll be judged on his results.

Another point, the crowd was generally older. Maybe those in the know will watch the video but it’s a concern that we aren’t attracting younger members. There was probably a 25/75 gender mix. Some under-30s but not many. I’m 45 and felt like a young one.
Good on you Slide. A sure way to look young is to hang around older people.:D On a serious note though I don't think it's that concerning that not many young people attended. Not really the atmosphere a bunch of 25 year olds would feel comfortable in. There would have been a lack of rap music and selfie sticks so they wouldn't know what to do.:wasntme:
However, I think it would be a great idea to promote youth membership. Maybe say, promote 16-30 year olds as young members and have some meetings tailored specifically for the youth voice as they are the future. Having a voice at a young age may consolidate life long loyalty. This loyalty is disappearing from the game and sadly I feel it's part of the vision for the NRL as money is the main agenda.
Working in schools I see countless kids with multiple footy jerseys and the NRL makes money from the sales.
Give youth a voice Manly, then they'll pass it on like we did.
Anyway I'm off with my selfie stick to take some pics of myself dancing to Eminem.@:D

15,000 seat stadium??

Grand for now but shows a lack of long term ambition, 18k minimum maybe 20
A 15,000 seat Stadium is not an indication of its actual capacity. Think Mcdonald Jones Stadium at Newcastle. 33,000 capacity (22,000 seated)

I agree. Thanks everyone (especially Wheel).

Can I ask though, Lyall claimed in an email to wheel that we'd be happy with some of the wins they were going to announce at this meeting.

What are we actually more wiser about, or closer to than we were months ago when these same projections were advised?

Actually seems like we've gone well and truly backwards on various fronts.

X Appeal failed
X Lost our coach (quit)
X No replacement coach
X No list manager
X Plans for Brooky prepared (again)
X Membership / GameDay review "underway"
X 0 staffing hires
X 0 new players announced
X 0 resignings announced
X 0 defnitive timelines for these things
X Media reports already tearing us apart last night over Barrett / Penn disaster
X Gorman still as cryptic as ever with communication

Etc, etc, etc.

Are we not in a worse position? Seems like a complete laugh to me. Or maybe we are well and truly informed, and I'm reading it wrong.

I actually feel sorry for the people who turned up to listen too more of the same rhetoric. Surely if Barrett agrees to a reduced payout, we will only end up with Cartwright. As for the Stadium & Centre of excellence, they couldn’t get it over the line with PM Abbott throwing money at them.
Ownership change is only hope.

Good on you Slide. A sure way to look young is to hang around older people.:D On a serious note though I don't think it's that concerning that not many young people attended. Not really the atmosphere a bunch of 25 year olds would feel comfortable in. There would have been a lack of rap music and selfie sticks so they wouldn't know what to do.:wasntme:
However, I think it would be a great idea to promote youth membership. Maybe say, promote 16-30 year olds as young members and have some meetings tailored specifically for the youth voice as they are the future. Having a voice at a young age may consolidate life long loyalty. This loyalty is disappearing from the game and sadly I feel it's part of the vision for the NRL as money is the main agenda.
Working in schools I see countless kids with multiple footy jerseys and the NRL makes money from the sales.
Give youth a voice Manly, then they'll pass it on like we did.
Anyway I'm off with my selfie stick to take some pics of myself dancing to Eminem.@:D
Attending a decrepit leagues club on a Wednesday isn't going to rate with a younger audience. If you want younger members you need to appeal to them via channels they use. Streaming, Twitch or something. The players are young - connecting with them shouldn't be that hard.

Attending a decrepit leagues club on a Wednesday isn't going to rate with a younger audience. If you want younger members you need to appeal to them via channels they use. Streaming, Twitch or something. The players are young - connecting with them shouldn't be that hard.
One of my sons who is footy mad sees all he needs through Insta. I’ve made sure he’s also a member but the club isn’t doing the work from either angle there

I actually feel sorry for the people who turned up to listen too more of the same rhetoric. Surely if Barrett agrees to a reduced payout, we will only end up with Cartwright. As for the Stadium & Centre of excellence, they couldn’t get it over the line with PM Abbott throwing money at them.
Ownership change is only hope.
I attended the meeting with a similar mindset to you but I left feeling a little assured that Scott is committed to success as are we all, and that Lyall is a smart and professional administrator.
The crowd were polite and I'd like to think it reflects well in the make-up of the fans - intelligent and not easily fooled but respectful and understanding of the major hurdles the club faces to be competitive in a comp skewed to the 'big 3': Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne. I doubt there would have been the level of intelligence shown at a meeting of Eels and Bulldogs fans.
However, basically little was confirmed except that Scott is not selling up, Kapow is staying and we are committed to Lottoland (a moniker I hate but which Lyall kept using, indicating that the club still needs the sponsorship money). Time will tell, of course.
The on-field performances in 2019 are really all that matters. Start winning and fans will flock back and money will flow. An upgraded oval won't translate to winning matches.
Lyall continually praised the strength of our core playing stock and seemed to think it was just a matter of improving our player depth that we needed.
Perhaps success will come simply by our players getting more mentally tough. Perhaps we don't need a complete overhaul. Getting Matt Ballin back would help with getting all players to buy into the Manly 'culture' and not looking upon their role as earning money.

One of my sons who is footy mad sees all he needs through Insta. I’ve made sure he’s also a member but the club isn’t doing the work from either angle there
Exactly. You can't rate the engagement of youth from a traditional "bums on seats" perspective because that's not how they operate. Parents would be one level you need to connect on because they will be the ones paying for a membership, but after that you need to get through to younger people by the means through younger people will engage and interact...

Maybe Manly could be innovative in this way. Manly and many other clubs connect with children well. Engaging the 16-30s is more difficult but would be a step forward. It would be great for the club could communicate that their voices are important to the future of Manly.

This is a huge concern. I can’t believe prolific posters like you, me and @strone33 didn’t get a mention GE. Very disappointing from the club.

#sackwayne

You think I'm miffed??? hat went outside and punched a Sasquatch right in the sack! All those damn photos, he mumbled, and never a thanks from the club. He has threatened to send pics of his 'junk' to the media!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8