Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Hmmmm, so who managers the bulk of our players? I admit, I dont normally bother myself with this side of things coz I find it tedious but the managers do seem to have more influence than they should. But reading the discussion makes it sound like we have some kind of mafioso running the NRL. It all serms very odd to me. But anyway .....

(Posted earlier in this thread - Edited)

IMHO, certain NRL player agents have become destabilising stains on the clubs they deal with and on the game of Rugby League as a whole. It's not entirely their fault, though. I don't completely blame them for the dodgy tactics they regularly employ as player representatives, i.e. holding clubs to ransom under constant threat of player release, leaking confidential contract details, utilising insider information provided by club staff illegally, consistently breaching NRL contract rules etc.

Arguably, such practices are unethical and tantamount to blackmail and extortion over the clubs. I blame the NRL for enabling these player agents to game the system. I blame the NRL for not enforcing their own rules when our more colourful agents breach these rules with seeming impunity. It could be argued that such practices destabilise the clubs they deal with and the game itself.

Not only does it sound like we have some mafioso running the NRL @Seagles68 , we do. I believe the NRL should be held accountable for enabling the evolution of these Mafia-style practices amongst some player agents. I also think that the NRL has to change the system immediately. The game itself is threatened by these agents (in the long term) if these practices are allowed to continue.

IMHO, certain NRL player agents have become destabilising stains on the clubs they deal with and on the game of Rugby League as a whole. It's not entirely their fault, though. I don't completely blame them for the dodgy tactics they regularly employ as player representatives, i.e. holding clubs to ransom under constant threat of player release, leaking confidential contract details, utilising insider information provided by club staff illegally, consistently breaching NRL contract rules etc.

Arguably, such practices are unethical and tantamount to blackmail and extortion over the clubs. I blame the NRL for enabling these player agents to game the system. I blame the NRL for not enforcing their own rules when our more colourful agents breach these rules with seeming impunity. It could be argued that such practices destabilise the clubs they deal with and the game itself.

Not only does it sound like we have some mafioso running the NRL @Seagles68 , we do. I believe the NRL should be held accountable for enabling the evolution of these Mafia-style practices amongst some player agents. I also think that the NRL has to change the system immediately. The game itself is threatened by these agents (in the long term) if these practices are allowed to continue.
Are they likely to? I mean, V'Landys looks like he'd fit right in.

But seriously, it does seem out of control and time something was done to reign this crap in.

But I think it needs to be addressed with Clubs as well. That is, also limiting their ability to look to offload players mid contract coz they've realised they've bought a dud or some new shiny player has come along.

Just so we are clear one more time

We are forcing out the manager of players such as Josh Shu who just stayed for less money? Ola who we gave a bump to last year? Saab who was retained by Mestrov with the same manager?

I can understand the potential short term thinking and cap space but the manager is a leap for me

Reducing his influence on the club is more accurate, @lsz than forcing him out. Forcing him out entirely isn't realistic in the short term. Mestrov stood up to Tartak when Crown asked for the release of two of their players in 2022, just after Rainbowgate. This was reported at the time. Arguably, Tartaks relationships with Scott and Kristie Fulton in their roles with MWSE allowed him to exert undue influence over the club's previous and future recruitment strategy. Also reported at the time.

This situation hasn't continued with Mestrov as CEO. In my opinion, the current situation with the Fainus demonstrates two things. Firstly, Mestrov has successfully outplayed Tartak, and secondly, he has simultaneously reduced Tartaks previous influence over the club.

On another point do you think Schuster would have signed for less money if Mestrov hadn't successfully signed Luke Brooks?

Last edited:
What doesn't make any sense to me with the scenarios you have put forward, is why you think Seibold believes signing the players you've noted, will win him a Premiership and save his career. These supposed Moses influenced signings (Condon, Johns, Woods and Talau) don't seem to be game changers to me. There would appear more chance of Sam Fainu becoming a star and helping him win a Premiership in a couple of years than any of these supposed Moses players.

Wanting Tartaks influence on the club diminished has a bit more credibility but even this seems an odd way to run a business.

But as @Eagles4Life notes, maybe the facts will come out sooner rather than later.
Siebolds goal of winning a premiership seems at once contradictory ,i.e getting rid of potential superstars who given the age of the current squad could comfortably move into 1st grade over the next few yrs and support that ambition ,while then getting rid of said future superstars and replacing them with cheap plodders who will likely make no positive dent in a premiership campaign,certainly not in 1st grade.
Other than reducing Tartak influence I can't see the sense in it esp if they want to stay .
That also doesn't make sense iether as Tartak has what 3 of our biggest stars ,Schu ,Hamole and Toula Koula ,so the answer is a pineapple .Why would Mestrov let his blind hate for Tartak (if that exits) let him lose 2 future stars and replace them with effectively BWSE standard players ??
tell me if I am wrong ??

This situation hasn't continued with Mestrov as CEO. In my opinion, the current situation with the Fainus demonstrates two things. Firstly, Mestrov has successfully outplayed Tartak, and secondly, he has simultaneously reduced Tartaks previous influence over the club.
I don't mean to misquote you,I just wanted to zero in on this part.
To me, and only to me, my opinion and certainly not trying to change yours....

It's only successull out playing Tartak if we keep the brightest two young guns on the books.
It's a complete failure if we lose them just when they will start to be worth the time energy and money we have invested.
A bigger failure if it's ego that caused the decision.

Only time will tell I guess.

But that's just me

I don't mean to misquote you,I just wanted to zero in on this part.
To me, and only to me, my opinion and certainly not trying to change yours....

It's only successull out playing Tartak if we keep the brightest two young guns on the books.
It's a complete failure if we lose them just when they will start to be worth the time energy and money we have invested.
A bigger failure if it's ego that caused the decision.

Only time will tell I guess.

But that's just me
You're right @ManEagle Only time will tell. The answer simply isn't there just yet. In my opinion there are so many variables in all of this that it's impossible to predict the outcome. However, if Tartak blinks first under the realisation that the demand for Latu and Samuela isn't what he expected, for example, perhaps they stay with the club? Stranger things have happened with contract negotiations in the NRL before.

Siebolds goal of winning a premiership seems at once contradictory ,i.e getting rid of potential superstars who given the age of the current squad could comfortably move into 1st grade over the next few yrs and support that ambition ,while then getting rid of said future superstars and replacing them with cheap plodders who will likely make no positive dent in a premiership campaign,certainly not in 1st grade.
Other than reducing Tartak influence I can't see the sense in it esp if they want to stay .
That also doesn't make sense iether as Tartak has what 3 of our biggest stars ,Schu ,Hamole and Toula Koula ,so the answer is a pineapple .Why would Mestrov let his blind hate for Tartak (if that exits) let him lose 2 future stars and replace them with effectively BWSE standard players ??
tell me if I am wrong ??
Koula isn't managed by Tartak

I've said this before:
If a player breaks a contract, leaves early the agent gets ZERO commission on the new contract.
If they ask for more money the agent does NOT get an increase in commission.

Could mainly just be number of players deemed more suitable for certain positions in conjunction with the recent signings as well . Particularly with the Brooks signing .
Brooks most certainly of course to 6 , Schuster to either edge or 13 then . Unlikely Latu to be given a shot in the halves as a regular any time soon
Then also a bit to be determined if Jake reverts to a prop role again in relation to Samual getting some opportunities in the pack with Haumole [ almost assured ] , Tuilagi , Burbo and Schuster , maybe even Parker vying for back row positions .
Note that when the speculation first appeared with the Fainu 's possibly leaving , it was Latu who was suggested to be given permission to look at his options . not Samual . and also no doubt some cap considerations
Then the notion of player managers friction maybe just as a side issue
Sure that the club would still like to retain Samual even though there are a stack of props , back rowers currently on the books . but would contend that personally would like to keep Samual ahead of quite a few other forwards , even including and just marginally Keppie
Then there are still the other factors , brothers wanting to stay together , maybe not the money factor but maybe opportunity for a i st grade spot .
Can 't they just stay for a bit longer yet , can "t be the worst of outcomes if still manageable .

Someone needs to sit Latu down and ask him how good he thinks he really is. If the answer is very good, then the smartest thing he can do is stay. Daly, while he's still playing well is not going to play until he's 40. I can see him having a successful career in the media given his ability to construct sentences and not "umm" and "ahh" his way through interviews and pressers. If Cronk can do it, DCE is a moral. And sitting at the FOX Sports desk doesn't hurt on Monday morning. Well, unless Ennis is there as well but let's not go there.

Latu could find himself as a long term player on very good coin. Now is not the time to cash in his chips.

Latu has the chance to play long term at Manly and set himself up for life if he has the courage to back himself. Let's see which way he plays it.

Just so we are clear one more time

We are forcing out the manager of players such as Josh Shu who just stayed for less money? Ola who we gave a bump to last year? Saab who was retained by Mestrov with the same manager?

I can understand the potential short term thinking and cap space but the manager is a leap for me
It just fits a narrative , for some , but agree , a giant leap indeed.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12