kick for touch/or straight to the line

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Alby

Reserve Grader
I noticed in drags vs Dogs game, Widdop kicks for touch with 4 minutes to go.

I understand this is a time-killer, but I reckon if they just ran the ball as close to the line, then handed over on the Doggies tryline, it'd be a better result because:

a) From the scrum, oppositon's usually have a set play, or spread it out wide, getting some decent metres out.

b) When teams are defending on opposition tryline with 5 to go - they usually go hard and stifle their opposition's progress.

At 8-6, it probably would've been the better option, but in hindsight, who knows?

And I'm not just referring to that game, but tight games in general.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
That was just a bad kick.......
Wasn't referring to the 40/20 attempt, if that's what you're talking about.

There was a kick for touch with 4 min to go, which resulted in a scrum 20/30m from Doggies tryline. Doggies scrumfeed, and from that set of six they scored.

Cronk did that exact play on Friday. Ran on the 6th whilst in the Roosters 20 and allowed the turn over rather than risk the kick into the ingoal that goes dead and gives them a 20m restart.

I tend to disagree with point A. From scrums these days, nine times out of ten the first pass off the scrum goes to a front rower standing out at 5/8 to take a hit up.

Chip and Chase, that's because love or hate him, Cronk is one of the best halfbacks in the world. He knows what's needed and when its needed.

Cronk did that exact play on Friday. Ran on the 6th whilst in the Roosters 20 and allowed the turn over rather than risk the kick into the ingoal that goes dead and gives them a 20m restart.

Funny you should say that.
When Foz did the same thing earlier this year he was pilliored by all and sundry. ( but from memory was it v the Cows and they went the distance in their next set and....)

I've noticed this happening more as the season has gone on.

I still think that 7 tackle set is ridiculous, I know the reasons behind bringing it in but as usual it was an ill conceived rule change.

Funny you should say that.
When Foz did the same thing earlier this year he was pilliored by all and sundry. ( but from memory was it v the Cows and they went the distance in their next set and....)

I've noticed this happening more as the season has gone on.

I still think that 7 tackle set is ridiculous, I know the reasons behind bringing it in but as usual it was an ill conceived rule change.
Slimeberg wasn't happy wiith Cronk kicking the ball dead in 2012 GF, which was nullifying Barba's kick returns. Slimy pr#ck!

Last edited:
I'd be happy with no seven tackles on a missed field goal attempts that go dead. Just the normal six.
Manly seem to go well when the ball is passed out to Jamie on the last, pulling the winger up and Lyon kicking in behind.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6