Kaeo Weekes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe it could turn out to be a good thing, if like Brisbane, with Walsh, Kaeo goes to the clappers, learns his craft as a five eight, then as his hitting the mark, comes bace to slot in for an ageing Brooks, worked for the donkeys. Personally think he has a future.

Maybe it could turn out to be a good thing, if like Brisbane, with Walsh, Kaeo goes to the clappers, learns his craft as a five eight, then as his hitting the mark, comes bace to slot in for an ageing Brooks, worked for the donkeys. Personally think he has a future.

Would love that to happen, but most of the time it doesn't. Players develop links with the club that accepts them. I read somewhere that Gutherson still is emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles, but he's entrenched in the Eels side, is Captain, has gained worth in that club so even if it was possible to get him back, it would be unlikely he would. Perhaps in his twilight years, but not when he's at his best.

Id like to think Sticky would give him at least a full season in the same position, without moving him around and judging him for a few games.
Sticky stuck with Xavier Savage for a while even after he had some average performances. Weekes needs that sort of encouragement for the coach to patient with him. I thought he had it tough playing in different positions and being judged after a few games.

Would love that to happen, but most of the time it doesn't. Players develop links with the club that accepts them. I read somewhere that Gutherson still is emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles, but he's entrenched in the Eels side, is Captain, has gained worth in that club so even if it was possible to get him back, it would be unlikely he would. Perhaps in his twilight years, but not when he's at his best.
I get what your saying, thing is you never know, for example, we might be on the return to some sort of premiership potential and that could be enough of an influencing factor, especially if say the clappers we’re struggling. I get it with Gutho, he captains the club, has played in a GF with them and enjoyed relative success there, why come home.
A winning culture is what we need, it appeals, if we don‘t become competitive and or return to playing finals footy as a regular thing, we’ll have trouble attracting any quality, let alone the chance of bringing own own home, success is the key. Theres a lot riding on next year.

Last edited:
Players develop links with the club that accepts them.
Sometimes but not always
I read somewhere that Gutherson still is emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles, but he's entrenched in the Eels side, is Captain, has gained worth in that club so even if it was possible to get him back, it would be unlikely he would. Perhaps in his twilight years, but not when he's at his best.
Agree, even if we were on top of the comp., I can't see Gutho ever swallowing all his pride to come back to Manly.

As for Weekes, he's only in the early stages of his career and anything could happen but hopefully he'll gain some confidence, as well as experience, at the Raiders and comes back to where it all began for him.

Sometimes but not always

Agree, even if we were on top of the comp., I can't see Gutho ever swallowing all his pride to come back to Manly.

As for Weekes, he's only in the early stages of his career and anything could happen but hopefully he'll gain some confidence, as well as experience, at the Raiders and comes back to where it all began for him.
… didn’t we say that about JWH?

Just sayin’

The thing is though there is always a chance a player might return, it doesn't happen too often. In fact its quite rare. For example there have been a great umber of players who have left Manly. How many can you recall came back? I'm sure there are some, but off hand I cant recall any. By the measure of probabilities, once they've left, they are most unlikely to return.

The thing is though there is always a chance a player might return, it doesn't happen too often. In fact its quite rare. For example there have been a great umber of players who have left Manly. How many can you recall came back? I'm sure there are some, but off hand I cant recall any. By the measure of probabilities, once they've left, they are most unlikely to return.
Foran

That's one. Mind you returned in his twilight years with no other offers on the table. Continue. Several hundred have left Manly. So far that's less than 1% returning.
Here is a fairly exhaustive list of other players who returned to Manly. For most, it was at the back end of their careers. A couple had successful second stints.

Lindsay Drake
Terry Hill
John Harvey
Ian Thomson
Chris Montgomery
Stuart Davis
Owen Cunningham
Paul Shaw
Jeremy Ticehurst
John Hopoate
Jamie Olejnik
Solomon Haumono
Nick Bradley-Qalilawa
Trent Hodkinson
Daniel Harrison
Darcy Lussick

I agree and Canberra are banking on him to be the replacement for Wighton. If he does do well, I doubt he would come back to Manly, considering that he is way down the pecking order in positions where we have high supply.

Good luck to him if he leaves, hope he kicks in and fulfills his potential even if it’s at another club. Just didn’t work out for him and hopefully a decent stint in a single position brings out his best football.

Many are forgetting that in July, Canberra signed a young man by the name of Ethan Sanders who Canberra pursued with a great deal of tenacity and commitment.

Ethan was behind Dylan Brown and Mitchell Moses so he decided to take up the offer and rebuffed four other clubs to sign a fairly strong deal with Canberra.

I have been present at two of Kaeo's first grade games (watching from an elevated position in the stands each time) and I believe, for the position/s Kaeo is seeking "to make his own", he struggles to read the game and becomes quite despondent at times, the physicality and speed of the NRL appeared, at those times, to be somewhat beyond him.

I wish him all the best and I'll be a very interested observer in his progress (if he does sign with Canberra).

He'll need to be both resilient and tenacious to grow, excel and succeed within the Ricky Stuart school of coaching as Ricky can burn many of young men with his demands, intensity and "words".

Canberra can be quite a lonely place for footballers (especially our local contingent) in relation to the weather, the travel and the community in general, hence why Canberra have been successful, in recent times, attracting players from England; they just swap one hell-hole for another.

Here is a fairly exhaustive list of other players who returned to Manly. For most, it was at the back end of their careers. A couple had successful second stints.

Lindsay Drake
Terry Hill
John Harvey
Ian Thomson
Chris Montgomery
Stuart Davis
Owen Cunningham
Paul Shaw
Jeremy Ticehurst
John Hopoate
Jamie Olejnik
Solomon Haumono
Nick Bradley-Qalilawa
Trent Hodkinson
Daniel Harrison
Darcy Lussick

Got to give you a plus. Well researched. But I went through each of them and what I found was many were not regular first graders, many came back only at the end of their career, not at their peak, some were away only for 1-2 years.

Yes a worthy effort but I think its not the same as someone like Gutherson at the peak of their game returning. Weekes may come back, I'm not denying that. But if he establishes himself as a valued member of another club, I cant see him returning, especially with the salary cap issue. Vast majority of those names were pre 1998 when salary cap was introduced and several not regular first graders. . Others like Hill, Cunningham etc came back at very end of their career for one year and would have been on cheaper salaries. Only perhaps Hopoate, Hodkinson, maybe Haumono, since salary cap came into play, were still top first grader standard. But I'll concede you did a good job.

Tim
Would love that to happen, but most of the time it doesn't. Players develop links with the club that accepts them. I read somewhere that Gutherson still is emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles, but he's entrenched in the Eels side, is Captain, has gained worth in that club so even if it was possible to get him back, it would be unlikely he would. Perhaps in his twilight years, but not when he's at his bestTime to move on from Gutho, our future lies with youth imo

Id like to think Sticky would give him at least a full season in the same position, without moving him around and judging him for a few games.
Sticky stuck with Xavier Savage for a while even after he had some average performances. Weekes needs that sort of encouragement for the coach to patient with him. I thought he had it tough playing in different positions and being judged after a few games.
Agree with you there. The only thing I still don’t understand is why Hoppa Jnr got the boot after playing 20 games on the wing. As far as I could see, he wasnt injured. And Ricky replaced the suspended Criss with a bloke that has played bugger all first grade.
Hopefully Weekes can have a good off season and kick Frawley out of 5/8.

The only thing I still don’t understand is why Hoppa Jnr got the boot after playing 20 games on the wing.
He was injured for at least one game. Meanwhile, Cotric returned to the team & played very well. However, I don't know why another winger was selected ahead of Albert for the last game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8