Jared Waerea-Hargreaves dislocates shoulder at Roosters training

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves dislocates shoulder at Roosters training

* By Andrew Webster
    * January 19, 2010
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jared-waerea-hargreaves-dislocates-shoulder-at-roosters-training/story-e6frexnr-1225820979968

JUST when the Roosters thought they'd consigned their misfortune to the past, dynamic back-rower Jared Waerea-Hargreaves dislocated shoulder and will miss the first month of the season.

The Kiwi international - who will celebrate his 21st birthday tomorrow - crashed to the ground during an innocuous tackling drill at Centennial Park yesterday morning.

Roosters medical staff called an ambulance for the rookie forward, who has impressed many at the club since he first started training a fortnight ago.

He had an MRI scan yesterday and will have an arthroscopic examination later this week.

"We were training this morning and everyone was getting into the session and I got myself into a situation in a tackle where I injured my shoulder," he said.

"It was just a sublux [where the shoulder joint pops out, then back in] so I am lucky it wasn't worse.

"I've had scans and will have an arthroscope later this week.

"It's a disappointing injury, but at least I will be back by round four and it didn't happen later in the season.

"I will just work with the physios and get back on to the field as soon as possible - with any luck before round four."

Waerea-Hargreaves' injury is a cruel blow, but it will not be enough for the Roosters to backflip on their position concerning unwanted forward Willie Mason, who is still on extended leave as he searches for a new club. After a horrific 2009 season for the Roosters in which a score of off-field incidents translated to a wooden spoon on the field, Waerea-Hargreaves' signing from Manly was considered a major coup.

That optimism only grew after his impressive form for the Kiwis during last year's Four Nations tournament, in which he brazenly baited Kangaroos veteran Petero Civoniceva in the opening match in London.

Since arriving at the club at the start of the year, he has impressed the coaching staff and all the senior players as well.

Yesterday, he and former Dragons prop Jason Ryles worked tirelessly in tandem as they dragged weights and completed various drills in the morning sun.

Yet it was a collision with teenage forward Boyd Cordner later in the session that caused his shoulder to pop out.

Roosters coach Brian Smith did not learn about the injury until he returned from yesterday's meeting of NRL club bosses, coaches and players to discuss an independent commission.

"He's been exemplary since he got here - so it's a cruel blow," Smith said. "But it's a mark of the man that he's accepted it and ready to do whatever it takes to come back.

"We'll put him in the best of hands and hopefully he can make it back in round four, possibly sooner. It's one of the hazards of the job."

Smith had already given Waerea-Hargreaves the weekend off to fly home to New Zealand to celebrate his 21st birthday.

Shame. I expect he will become one of the marquee backrowers in the competition if he could learn to hold the ball more.

Between him and Ryles, The Roosters would have been a turnover machine.

It backs up Manly's opinion that his body won't stand up to constant playing in the NRL hence our reason for letting him go. 

I thought we let him go as he was overpriced for this stage of his career. Dislocations are nasty and generally the shoulder is never as good as it was. Often it also means reconstructions down the track.

Actually - willie has been dead quiet.

Willie may end up playing with Beaver overseas.

:)

I'm surprised Hargreaves got hurt tackling.  Didn't see much of that when he played for us.

DSM5 link said:
I'm surprised Hargreaves got hurt tackling.  Didn't see much of that when he played for us.

I'm not surprised because I think most of his tackles were done by attempting to put the big shoulder charge on.

tookey link said:
It backs up Manly's opinion that his body won't stand up to constant playing in the NRL hence our reason for letting him go. 

if that was true, how come they have kept Matai? difference in class/stage of career i guess. still you're probably right.

A cautionary tale to players that leave us.  Other clubs aren't as high tech with their player management and their injury count betrays it.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=182295.msg249351#msg249351 date=1263850697]

if that was true, how come they have kept Matai? difference in class/stage of career i guess. still you're probably right.
[/quote]

Simple.  Mattai has photos of Des and the goat whereas hargreaves didn't.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6