James Maloney & his thought's on our roster quality

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree, realistically, with what we have now I can't see us going any better than this in 2017 ..... 2018 is the year we will start the rise again. The Barrett experiment will be gone for sure, cap space on Snake and Matai and other duds we have should free up some dollars for some real players and not the imaginary ones in @Turbos teams .......
How will 2017's side be as bad as the 2016 side. 2016's side had injuries so barely every one in it barely participated. We had no real 5/8. The side was completely new. We had a shocking draw. Yet now in 2017 we do have a 5/8 and have some recruits with the potential to be anything, for better or for worse. There will be more players coming you'd like to think, centres should be filled with walker and now that i've thought about it we will at least have kevin locke to partner him if we chose to sign him beyond the train and trial thing he's got going at the moment.

There are more young players coming through in meehan, hoppa and bainbridge and some quality backup, something we dearly missed in 2016 considering the shocker of a year we had with injuries. To be worse then the side of 2016 you've literally gotta play the u20s.

How will 2017's side be as bad as the 2016 side. 2016's side had injuries so barely every one in it barely participated. We had no real 5/8. The side was completely new. We had a shocking draw. Yet now in 2017 we do have a 5/8 and have some recruits with the potential to be anything, for better or for worse. There will be more players coming you'd like to think, centres should be filled with walker and now that i've thought about it we will at least have kevin locke to partner him if we chose to sign him beyond the train and trial thing he's got going at the moment.

There are more young players coming through in meehan, hoppa and bainbridge and some quality backup, something we dearly missed in 2016 considering the shocker of a year we had with injuries. To be worse then the side of 2016 you've literally gotta play the u20s.
Love your optimism. I really do!

It's not just our team its also looking at the other teams and when I look at who finished ahead of us this year I can't see many of those teams dropping out of the 8 (maybe the Titans) I also think the Roosters, Souths and Eels will be better in 2017. With the team we have I can see some improvement but not enough to do much better on the table than 2016.

Last edited:
Maloney is a dirty grub. Simple.
I carry memories of the '13 GF.
I wouldn't want him here.
Agree that he has some niggle in his game that I don't like, but also agree with Schnorky that he is an excellent player and was instrumental in two teams winning grand finals, one of them against us. Warriors made the grand final with him at 6 as well, so there's no doubting his impact on a team.

Ti
With our current squad, no additions, top 8? @BOZO?
Titans team round 1 2016 . Main Play maker Elgey out for the Season injured in the trials . Luke Douglas suspended from last season . Will Zillman out injured .
If our current team is not better than the 2016 Titans team I am the real Bozo and I will be signing autographs
5 David Mead
2 Anthony Don
3 Josh Hoffman
4 Nathan Davis
20 John Olive
6 Tyrone Roberts
7 Ashley Taylor
8 David Shillington
9 Nathan Friend (c)
10 Agnatius Paasi
11 Zeb Taia
12 Chris McQueen
13 Greg Bird

Interchange
14 Eddy Pettybourne
15 Ryan James
16 Leivaha Pulu
17 Daniel Mortimer

Love your optimism. I really do!

It's not just our team its also looking at the other teams and when I look at who finished ahead of us this year I can't see many of those teams dropping out of the 8 (maybe the Titans) I also think the Roosters, Souths and Eels will be better in 2017. With the team we have I can see some improvement but not enough to do much better on the table than 2016.

Nailed it exactly!!

I'm going to give DCE one more season to prove his worth. If he stuffs up like he did the last 2 years I'm gunna let loose. Green will probably make him look good and give him more time to weave his apparent magic. Let's just see how it all pans out.

Nailed it exactly!!
The other teams have to nail us first before you can say Wombat64 has nailed it . Terror Turbo 1 , Terror Turbo 2, The Flying Walker , The Green machine will get DCE going , Kapow is getting bigger pumping iron in the off season . Lane is a great prospect . Sironen could be anything and so could be the giant Meehan , Parcel in his second year will get out of second gear
and the list of positives go on . We are not going to roll over and fcking die and get nailed feathered friends . !!!
untitled.png

I read it that he was talking about what the club was going to do when DCE had signed with the titans. When you think about it back then there was talk of Walker, Marty T or even Darcy. There was talk about Elgey or Taylor coming down - so it is completely reasonable that Maloney would doubt the squad at that time.

The question is not what he thought when we were in disarray during 2015 ( no foz, no DCE) but what he thinks now....but then again that does not suit the narrative of the club being hopeless

You'd have a weak argument.

We were in it up to eye balls for a at least 6-8 of our losses. We just couldn't execute when it mattered. If you think a halves combo of DCE and Maloney couldn't have done more than what we had, your kidding yourself.

A line up of

Tom
Tafua
Walker
Lyon
Wright
Maloney
DCE
Jake
Tapau
Buhrer
Myles/AFB/Starling
API/parcel
Lussick

Would have made the finals if that was our team for most of the year

I just sit back with amusement at the comments about Maloney and DCE and Manly's chances in 2016.

No1. Maloney didnt come to Manly because we didnt have the cattle. He went to a club that he knew had the players and a chance of winning. No issues with Maloney's decision. I would in the same situation make the same decision. If he had come to Manly and Manly had had the injuries it suffered, Manly would still be at the tail of the comp. Good pick Maloney

No 2. DCE did not milk Manly for every cent he could. He had decided and signed a contract with The Titans BECAUSE MANLY DIDNT WANT HIM. They put all their eggs in the Foran basket and ended up with egg on their face. Manly werent going to persuade DCE back out of the Titans deal for chicken feed after he'd already signed for big money. Dont blame DCE. The fault lies ENTIRELY with Manly management. The criticism at DCE for 2016 is unwarranted, given the injury he was hampered with early in the season, Barrett's persistence with Walker at 5/8, and an injury toll that destroyed any chance Manly had of making the finals (again smart pick Moloney).

The blame rests entirely on the Manly management that made some pretty dumb decisions early on and paid the price. This was compounded by injuries. As for DCE, at his best, he is one of the best half backs in the game. We're damned lucky to have him and injury free he'll show that in '17.

I've always liked BBQ. Took warriors to a final then won one with chooks and nulla nulla. Solid player and seems a decent bloke

If the Titans coach can make the 8 with his 2016 roster then Barrett if he is good enough will make the 8 with the players he has . No excuses from me . Ship up ship out .

Titans roster is a bit better than ours imo, not much but slightly

I can see what JM was talking about but honestly the team with the best roster didnt win the 2016 premiership.

I reckon the Sharks only had an average roster. But they had a will to win and play as team. They deserved their win

Last edited:
What James Maloney thinks of us now or then is none of our business. It's what we think about ourselves that truly matters.

Maloney is a dirty grub. Simple.
I carry memories of the '13 GF.
I wouldn't want him here.
He still hates us from 2011 GF, lots of people forget that DCE schooled him that day. Sounds like a throw away line that a journo has used to stick the boot in DCE.

Off topic, sorry...but I hate the modern game where blokes like Maloney, Ennis and Fafita (spelling?) are considered hard and talented footballers. Sure Ennis had skill, but it was his mouth that was his best weapon.

Some people think that by banning the punch and shoulder charge, we have helped to eliminate the thuggish, brainless brutes that used to terrorise the game (in fairness and honesty, it is a good thing for the health and longevity of the players, I get that), but it has inadvertently given rise to an even more problematic pest. The grub.

Bing back the biff and let the little men rise again based honestly on their speed, skill, brains and over sized hearts. Genuine toughness and the ability to play above your weight and push through pain barriers (a la Toovey, Orford, Campbell, Walters etc) was always, and will always be more honourable than mouthing off, niggling, diving, whingeing and hiding behind the ref, spraying your vile at whom ever you please with little to no fear of retribution.

I know Fafita (I don't know nor care how to correctly spell his name, if it's correct it's by accident) is not a small man. Just a large meat headed bully that a bloke like Matai in his day would have fixed up very quickly.

End rant.

Please continue with thread according to the original topic.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8