Jack de Belin court case

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Do these type of "he said, she said" cases ever end in a conviction? There is almost zero real "evidence" bar security videos showing the "victim" in not so great a light.

Our legal system hinges on "reasonable doubt" and it appears nigh impossible for a "real" victim in these types of circumstances to be able to create that.

If "reasonable doubt" is the defining factor I would wager there are a lot of guilty defendants running around free after this type of incident...unfortunately.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Do these type of "he said, she said" cases ever end in a conviction? There is almost zero real "evidence" bar security videos showing the "victim" in not so great a light.

Our legal system hinges on "reasonable doubt" and it appears nigh impossible for a "real" victim in these types of circumstances to be able to create that.

If "reasonable doubt" is the defining factor I would wager there are a lot of guilty defendants running around free after this type of incident...unfortunately.
In short, the answer is a resounding 'yes'.

Evidence given by a witness under oath in court is indeed 'real evidence'. The point of a jury is to assess the evidence and frequently that comes down to assessing whether witnesses are credible and reliable. I've no doubt you are right and there are some guilty defendants who have been acquitted and likewise some innocent ones were convicted, but juries are just random selections from the electoral roll and people in general aren't as ignorant in the ways of the world as you might imagine. Juries are urged to use all their own life experience to assess the witnesses and evidence. The jury system apparently has been around in some form since about the 12th century but if you have a better system to propose let's hear it!

Yes the accused is helped by the presumption of innocence and the requirement for guilt to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. It's a high standard (for which we'd all be thankful if ever wrongly accused of something) but don't worry, guilty verdicts are just as common in cases that have no CCTV, DNA, fingerprints or whatever else you were thinking of as 'real' evidence.

The Who

Journey Man
I wonder if a trial by a judge would be more accurate than a trial by a jury?
A judge/magistrate would be more attune to the deceit/reliability of a witness, the defendant's prior record, and the wiles of defence barristers than would the 'average' juryperson. It would certainly be less costly and more streamlined to have a judge hear all cases.
I guess the real negative is that a judge can be 'influenced', whereas that is far less likely when there are 12 sitting in judgement.
In a case like we are discussing it is easy for the layperson to understand the basics. But how do they follow a case involving fraud with all the intricate financial details? In my early career I used to report on certain court cases and I recall in one instance a juror falling asleep and his snoring causing a lot of mirth.
For those of you who have never experienced a court hearing it is nothing like the condensed, highly-charged theatre of movies/TV. For the most part they are repetitive bore-fests.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
A judge/magistrate would be more attune to the deceit/reliability of a witness, the defendant's prior record, and the wiles of defence barristers than would the 'average' juryperson. It would certainly be less costly and more streamlined to have a judge hear all cases.
I guess the real negative is that a judge can be 'influenced', whereas that is far less likely when there are 12 sitting in judgement.
In a case like we are discussing it is easy for the layperson to understand the basics. But how do they follow a case involving fraud with all the intricate financial details? In my early career I used to report on certain court cases and I recall in one instance a juror falling asleep and his snoring causing a lot of mirth.
For those of you who have never experienced a court hearing it is nothing like the condensed, highly-charged theatre of movies/TV. For the most part they are repetitive bore-fests.

A judge is still bound by the limitations of the criminal justice system that requires a determination of guilt only where the evidence leads to a decision beyond reasonable doubt. Legally a judge cant be swayed by emotive issues and often a judge will advise the jury to make a determination on evidence alone, not on whether they think the person looks guilty, or be influenced by emotion shown by witnesses..

In short, the answer is a resounding 'yes'.

Evidence given by a witness under oath in court is indeed 'real evidence'. The point of a jury is to assess the evidence and frequently that comes down to assessing whether witnesses are credible and reliable. I've no doubt you are right and there are some guilty defendants who have been acquitted and likewise some innocent ones were convicted, but juries are just random selections from the electoral roll and people in general aren't as ignorant in the ways of the world as you might imagine. Juries are urged to use all their own life experience to assess the witnesses and evidence. The jury system apparently has been around in some form since about the 12th century but if you have a better system to propose let's hear it!

Yes the accused is helped by the presumption of innocence and the requirement for guilt to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. It's a high standard (for which we'd all be thankful if ever wrongly accused of something) but don't worry, guilty verdicts are just as common in cases that have no CCTV, DNA, fingerprints or whatever else you were thinking of as 'real' evidence.
Thanks.
Yes, by "real evidence" i did mean CCTV, DNA, fingerprints. I have trouble accepting the word of defendants and plaintiffs as "real evidence".

I hope the judgement reflects the truth but I have my doubts it will AND we will never know the real truth..

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
We once had a Toyota lemon. Everything wrong with it under the sun. Finally thought they had it fixed but was at the end of the warranty. We requested a six month extension on the warranty in good faith. If they were so confident in their repairs then why wouldn't they? Local management thought it would be a formality in sending it up the chain but head office said no. We took it to small claims court. Presented our case - page after page after page. Magistrate asked if Toyota reps had any objection to extension of warranty. They said they didn't. Then the magistrate (who was a seriously grumpy old bastard) said he could see no reason for extension of warranty and that was that. Even the Toyota people were aghast.
So if judges are as dodgy. I'd be wanting a jury.

eagleron

Bencher
Personally at my age I stick with Peter Sellers' line in Being There. 'I like to watch'. Not much else I can do these days. Its all just window shopping. Don't offer a pill. I wouldn't survive it.
When I was a young bloke the old fellas used to say when the subject of sex came up that a green apple and a good root would kill them, I never knew what they meant until now, lol

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You want to know how the law can fuuck you over, then look no further than Trial 4.
Different country no doubt. The amount of systematic rorting
from the cops is staggering . The defence attorney in this true story is as an absolute bulldog (and with that hard Boston accent) makes her even more impressive.

Check out “Trial 4” on Netflix

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Justice means different things to different people. Its are rare commodity not always the outcome in our judicial system.

bSw

Reserve Grader
Money absolutely affects the outcomes in courts in Australia, just as in other countries. The more funds a legal team has at their disposal, the stronger their prosecution or defence will be. Unless a case is black and white, the party willing to spend the most will most certainly win the battle for the greyish areas in question.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12
11 5 5 30 11