Is the NRL the only pro comp in the world where the refs can so influence a game?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
Seriously. Example: late in the game yesterday, as in, really late, Cecchin decides to ping us for inside the 10 with 2 on the clock. Instant result changing decision. Ok we were inside the 10 and so were both sides many many times across the entire game. So why penalise us then - exactly then. I can't help but to think that a sensible decision from a senior ref would have allowed play to proceed and let the guys tough out a final decision. I hear coaches say why was the penalty count so lopsided during games - 2V did last night? Implication being that somehow refs should award penalties "evenly" so that it's all fair and evened up. For mine it's one or the other. Either the ref blows up at every infringement or there is a clear mandate from the NRL that ALL decisions are up for the on field refs interpretation. I can't imagine the kind of deep rooted thinking of it being a grey area that applies to the NRL refs, ever happening in the EPL, or any other pro league in any code.

Maybe we should look at a protest/ appeal system where the coach can question a call

Look, even if Jamie had of appealed that offside decision, those in the video box would have supported the on-field idiots. That's what happens. Cops support cops etc etc. And it wont be helped with ex-players. Especially those that are newly retired. what needs urgent action is the bias aspect. A greater pool of refs perhaps. Then we wouldn't have to put up with Checcin and Suttor all the time. We seem to get Horsehead with regularity as well. Why don't we have any refs from NZ? Interchange with English refs is an idea. It's the gene pool that needs enlarging, and at least some sort of examination to wheedle out those with bias.

After watching the replay I still cant believe we didnt get a penalty when Lyon dropped the ball in the 78th minute. Hoffman was never square at marker and wasnt back the 10m, and proceeded to tackle him even after being called out of it. Then the Smith 20m optional restart in extra time was taken well past the 20m line, should have been our penalty 20m out in front of the posts. Ive usually been against coaches challenges as it will slow the game down even more, but seeing the quality of refereeing lately it is starting to make more sense.

Dud refereeing is part of the game, always has been, and for good reason. It is vital for perennial losers to have someone to blame apart from their own team.

In addition to which, it prevents us from taking the whole thing too seriously. It's sport, not reality. It exists as a diversion from reality.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Dud refereeing is part of the game, always has been, and for good reason. It is vital for perennial losers to have someone to blame apart from their own team.

In addition to which, it prevents us from taking the whole thing too seriously. It's sport, not reality. It exists as a diversion from reality.

Interesting point you make SER8. I'm not suggesting being a full on Manly fan is a life and death situation. I am only saying that it feels to me like the refs in the NRL seem to have a "favouring/square up approach to their role. And that seems to be an approach that is exclusive to the NRL.

Whatever.
(Lol, sorry Baz I couldn't resist.) You have made a very good point I think. All sports have the odd controversial decision, but I can't think of any that have such a proliferation of controversial officiating that, as you say, affects the outcome of matches. For example, while I don't watch much Rugby nowadays I certainly don't recall it being blighted in the same way as NRL.

EagleRock40 said:
After watching the replay I still cant believe we didnt get a penalty when Lyon dropped the ball in the 78th minute. Hoffman was never square at marker and wasnt back the 10m, and proceeded to tackle him even after being called out of it.

If Manly got the penalty we take the game all the way up to the Storm try line by tackle 6 & basically have to hold them for one set to win the game.

The officials & NRL should be publicly made to explain how Storm weren't penalised & then Manly were, even though the Manly defender who was supposedly offside didn't get involved in the play.

I see every game Lyon run at defenders who aren't at marker & he never gets the penalty when they tackle him.

I watch a lot of baseball and the umpires starting salary is $120,000 good ones get $350,000. They do 5-10 years in the minor grades, they have to make a judgement call every pitch ( 250+ per game) and every line call and on the plays, on balls and strikes they are at 97% acuracey, on line calls its 99%. They have video replay if needed for home runs. They have a great potential to influence a game but rarely do.

Soccer refs influence games more often when they fall for pathetic dives and award penalties. It happens. It's the regularity with which these pink clowns get milked that gets my goat.

RL refs have a huge influence over results, but not as much as cricket umpires, whose decisions are life and death (metaphorically speaking).

Understand the frustration of getting the rough end of the pineapple calls vs Storm but have always believed if you ar dominant enough you can overcome a bad call or 2 over 80 minutes.
All codes have shockers & if you sit and suffer some AFL you will find so much inconsistencies every coach, ref & commentator are confused :huh:
Then in Rugby Yawnion theres more grey areas than a cloudy day in Seattle with these mauls & scraps, constant foward passes & knock ons, advantages that go for 10 minutes & so on.
Agree we copped a rugged go on Monday but theres games the shoe will be on the other foot - difference is, we will get massive headlines of injustice from it - thats what pi**es me off.

NBA seems to be worse... unless you are a Heat fan. Then it is better.

(except for today- go Pacers!)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6