1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Rugby League aiming towards Soccer?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lismore_fan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. lismore_fan

lismore_fan Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +206 / 1
    Thankfully, the Soccer officials have taken a stance against players 'diving'.

Unfortunately RL is heading the 'diving' play.

Prince (or Princess) tonite was pathetic.
    A jump and a fall on his first touch of the ball as he tried to get up after a Braith Anasta tackle resulted in a penalty to the Tiny Tots.
    Stay down after that soft shoulder high tackle from Carney gets another penalty and Carney on report.

True, they're probably coached that way. Feel a knock around the jaw and play dead... there'll be a replay and we'll get a penalty.
    How soft!

2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    To be fair Carney did one just as bad, stayed down, got the penalty for a tackle off the ball and was up in time to kick for touch. Very poor honestly.

I maintain the only reason the Tigers are in the position they are in is because of diving, they only won the first game against us because they milked penalties to get the momentum and I can think of a number of times that they won due to dodgy calls, the one that comes instantly to mind is the rabbitohs game. I am sure that tomorrows game will be a contest in that both Soward and Farrah are playing for the refs attention.

3. lismore_fan

lismore_fan Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +206 / 1
    Sure Rusty.
    I'm definitely not only looking at the Rorters vs Tiny Tots game.
    I'm looking at the entire past season. We (Manly) are certainly not free of this sin - we do our fair share on the game.

Worst divers of the game (or should that be 'best') would have to be Tiggers, namely robbie farrah.

It is a blight on our game and it's getting worse.

Remember Gary Jack from Balmain Tigers. He used to catch the ball then feign injury. They brought in - Hand the ball to another team mate to play the ball while you were treated. This doesn't happen enough.

4. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Yep it's embarrassing. Anasta laid down like a dog too last night so that they would check the "late" hit on Carney. It's getting more and more like soccer every day. Problem is that it will continue whilst we have so many morons in pink and in the video box.

5. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    I started a thread about diving after our round 1 game against the Tiggers.
    It's been going on all year & it has to stop.

Video ref needs to only be used for trys & touch line decisions.

If the four refs on field didn't see it, it didn't happen.

6. jaime

jaime Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Damn straight! They have 4 refs at ground level... sponsored by opsm... if they miss something... tough! Rugby League is meant to be a tough game and all we see these days is players laying down getting penalties! At the end of the day, the way the rules are you are stupid if you don't do it because your team then misses out on the free penalties that everyone else is getting!

7. north coast eagle

north coast eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    One of the best performances I have seen was by actor, Robbie Farrar - Fawcett Majors at Gosford.

8. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Easy fix - video ref can only give foul play penalties for things that are send off offences  - like elbows in back play etc. Not for every minor high tackle.

9. Si

Si Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Carney's dive was the worst of the game - he was hardly touched - sure he was knocked off his feet, but i've seen bigger hits in under 8's netball. It was compounded by the fact that Anasta also stayed down. Should give Anasta a 'dive assist' in the stats at the end of the game.

10. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    exactly.

they made it this year that the video ref could only intervene if what happened was deemed worthy of going on report.....and all thats done is get soft incidents put on report all season and has done nothing to discourage lying down.
    If the 4 blind bastards in pink cant see it as it happens and the video ref watching it live cant see it... PLAY ON FFS!

I really need to stop watching choose day night football on fox. Watching games from days gone by, even as recent as the early 2000's puts the soft **** being dished up these days to shame and really shows how frustrating a sport it is to watch in recent years.

11. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    After watching the Aussie Rules GF(take 1) today, at least our blokes are allowed to throw punches when necessary.

Union, soccer & gAyFL look stupid with their slap & shove sessions.

12. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,487 / 42
    who was the saints player staying down for the penalty last night..Young?...once the trainer told him no go..he rolls his head back for a look,then gets up and sprints back. It is a soccer infiltration...makes me sick :'(

13. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    That was Nathan Fein but you're right mate, Young is also a grub. How was that elbow to Farah's jaw while he was on top of him.

14. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    If there's any justice Young would be suspended.  But he won't.